U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 12:12 PM

4,726 posts, read 12,428,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually there isn't a crack problem in most of Florida--methamphetimine is a much larger issue. And it's really bad in the rural areas like where you live!
These days, right on!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:30 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,115,297 times
I saw a lot of friends fight a losing battle with crack during the 80's and 90's and most are now in jail, dead or hanging on by a thread addicted to something else although a few, thank God, have turned their lives around. But this meth stuff? I have never seen anything like it and actually thank God that stuff was not in the mainstream back then as I feel you at least have a chance at recovering from a crack addiction.

I ended up at a gas station on a weekday afternoon in Plant City and I swear I was surrounded by tweakers. I was told later that you can go there any time day or night and the place is just crawling with them. Don't know why and I most certainly will not be going back but gosh my heart just breaks for these barely living zombies. I just don't see how one can come back from that.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:46 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,804,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I saw a lot of friends fight a losing battle with crack during the 80's and 90's and most are now in jail, dead or hanging on by a thread addicted to something else although a few, thank God, have turned their lives around. But this meth stuff? I have never seen anything like it and actually thank God that stuff was not in the mainstream back then as I feel you at least have a chance at recovering from a crack addiction.

I ended up at a gas station on a weekday afternoon in Plant City and I swear I was surrounded by tweakers. I was told later that you can go there any time day or night and the place is just crawling with them. Don't know why and I most certainly will not be going back but gosh my heart just breaks for these barely living zombies. I just don't see how one can come back from that.
One good thing is that that researchers have found that crack babies who are now teens don't seem to have that many learning or other problems--different from what people had feared. Alcohol abuse during pregnancy, on the other hand, usually has terrible effects.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 PM

55,667 posts, read 74,628,627 times
what facinates me about drugs florida and everywhere else, esp cocaine, is that i dont know any kids that have the money to buy it, so where does the money come to buy it, for a multimillion dollar industry????
how much allowance do you give your kid? remember a "my kid' now adays is anybody under 45 years of age living at home.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:56 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,807,999 times
^^^I agree adults make up a good part of the drug market. But teenage kids are also buying drugs. A kids down the street from me, doesn't work, gets an allowance, and I have caught him smoking a pot pipe in the neighborhood.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
what facinates me about drugs florida and everywhere else, esp cocaine, is that i dont know any kids that have the money to buy it, so where does the money come to buy it, for a multimillion dollar industry????
how much allowance do you give your kid? remember a "my kid' now adays is anybody under 45 years of age living at home.
Crack is cheap, that's why it caught on in lower income areas. I don't think it's young teens using crack -- they'd be more likely to sell it than use. I've met a few people who used it, and they started using it as adults. I think most people progress through years of alcohol abuse and/or other drugs before getting to crack.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:45 PM

5,341 posts, read 1,999,332 times
From what I know, while still a problem in US cities, crack has largely taken a back seat to meth and to an even greater degree, cheap high quality Mexican heroin. This is largely due to the rise of the mexican drug cartels in recent years.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^I agree adults make up a good part of the drug market. But teenage kids are also buying drugs. A kids down the street from me, doesn't work, gets an allowance, and I have caught him smoking a pot pipe in the neighborhood.
Well, teenage kids have been using pot for decades now. But I think you'd have to be pretty hardcore to get into crack at that age.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:01 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,807,999 times
^^^Kids aren't the ones doing crack, adults are usually the ones doing crack.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^Kids aren't the ones doing crack, adults are usually the ones doing crack.
I did know one person in college who use crack in high school. But she wasn't a crackhead. It was just one of many drugs she was on.
Somehow she managed to basically still get straight A's doing all that stuff. And she was usually on something when writing term papers. Getting an A for a paper she wrote on acid, or drunk. Very very smart, but not a very good use of her mind, looking back on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or