U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,840,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom1 View Post
By that I mean, places where there aren't loads of condos, strip malls, and traffic. Older towns, with older homes, a walkable downtown area, quaint not slick or cookie cutter.......like what Key West probably was before the onslaught of tourists.....
But id imagine youd want strip malls , a good assortment of restaurants, and gas stations nearby...am i correct ? You just want to reside in what you describe above (?) . If so, then, theres tons of places like that nearby where i live in the Panhandle. , especially 30 miles + east of Pensacola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:38 AM

84 posts, read 198,382 times
Not opposed to the mega stores and chain restaurants as long as I have to drive out to them I really like healthy vibrant old downtowns that have an eclectic mix of shops, eateries, coffee bars, et., that are sustainable from the surrounding area. I would much rather visit the local merchant than a big box store. Perhaps that makes me a bit of a dinosaur, but I'd give up convenience for quaintness in a second......

Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Not opposed to the mega stores and chain restaurants as long as I have to drive out to them I really like healthy vibrant old downtowns that have an eclectic mix of shops, eateries, coffee bars, et., that are sustainable from the surrounding area. I would much rather visit the local merchant than a big box store. Perhaps that makes me a bit of a dinosaur, but I'd give up convenience for quaintness in a second......
I can appreciate that. The Panhandle has tons of little towns like that between Pensacola and Tallahassee. I live in such a town but theres others that fit the bill even more . The Panhandle is also one of the cheapest places to live due mainly to homes being less expensive to buy and property taxes rediculously cheap .... especially in your typical podunk town(s) . Its great if your retired, but jobs are scarce up this way.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:00 AM

13,328 posts, read 30,013,104 times
Quote:

Now I'll throw out another question - in some of these places are there good private schools in the area?? From what I know about the public school systems in FL - we would probably go the private (hopefully non-religious) route.
That's where it gets tricky.
If you want Old Florida, you don't necessarily get the 21st Century along with it.
If you are, as you say, willing to give up convenience for the quaintness, you might have to either spend a bit of money, or drive a long way.
Example: Apalachicola is an absolutely *charming* town, but its public schools, well, not so good.
One of Panama City's high schools is excellent, if you're willing to drive an hour there and back every day.
Or you could home school.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 07-24-2009 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: add some info

Old 07-24-2009, 09:13 AM

Now I'll throw out another question - in some of these places are there good private schools in the area?? From what I know about the public school systems in FL - we would probably go the private (hopefully non-religious) route.

'That's where it gets tricky.
If you want Old Florida, you don't necessarily get the 21st Century along with it.'

REPLY: If Parents would stop and take inventory, they sure as heck wouldnt want for their kids the '21st Century culture' immoral/hedonistic/narcissitic brainwashing that fuels America today.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:17 AM

13,328 posts, read 30,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post

'That's where it gets tricky.
If you want Old Florida, you don't necessarily get the 21st Century along with it.'

REPLY: If Parents would stop and take inventory, they sure as heck wouldnt want for their kids the '21st Century culture' immoral/hedonistic/narcissitic brainwashing that fuels America today.
I'm not sure this is germane to the topic at hand, RVLover.
Anyway, I spent 20 months in Port St Joe, which is between Apalachicola and Panama City.
In some ways, it was indeed like going back to the 1950's.
Some of the skills and qualities a young person needs to survive cannot be bought or sold.
Some of the values we instill are not going to be found in an institution of learning.
But some are.
Most young people today, just like you, know how to operate a computer.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:42 AM

3,047 posts, read 4,798,624 times
Some of the best schools in the state are in Gainesville. We sent our kids the private route becoz we live down in S Florida, however, the school that had the highest number of National Merit Scholars, best performing math team, etc were from Eastside High. I always supposed it was because it was a university town. It also has some very charming areas. Btw, this is near Micanopy, my vote for most charming, old Florida town.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 AM

If Parents would stop and take inventory, they sure as heck wouldnt want for their kids the '21st Century culture' immoral/hedonistic/narcissitic brainwashing that fuels America today.

''
'
I'm not sure this is germane to the topic at hand, RVLover.
Anyway, I spent 20 months in Port St Joe, which is between Apalachicola and Panama City.
In some ways, it was indeed like going back to the 1950's.
Some of the skills and qualities a young person needs to survive cannot be bought or sold.
Some of the values we instill are not going to be found in an institution of learning.
But some are.
Most young people today, just like you, know how to operate a computer.

REPLY: Today, youll get a modern learning cirriculum in any school across FLorida which will ready the Student for his life journey ; what you wont get in every school is the REAL picture of our decadent modern culture nor the teaching/wisdom to stay away from the destructive philosophies that are present which serve to destroy personal lives and will continue to do so.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:01 AM

4,641 posts, read 8,480,492 times
I'll throw in a suggestion for Gulf Breeze just east of Pensacola- a very traditional little downtown area that's also about five miles from the even more traditional downtown Pensacola (Though they did just put a Publix and strip mall out by the high school) and you're in the attendance area for the well-regarded Gulf Breeze schools.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:10 AM

976 posts, read 266,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
Yes,old Florida does still exist in such places as Mt. Dora,St. Augustine,Ocala,Clermont,Lakeland and Winter Haven just to mention a few.
I agree, except for Clermont, which I think has changed a bit. Remember a year or two ago when that guy from NJ who was a criminal (his name was like Giovanni or something weird like that) moved there and shot 2 people (a drug dealing) and then there was another shooting in one weekend in Clermont? It was bizzarre - it was like 3 people murdered in one weekend in Clermont and that is usaually more than one whole year's total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida