Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:48 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times

Advertisements

Here is a link to the website for the Classic Car Show in Winter Haven:

2008 Winter Haven Classic Car Show

I am posting this because in the background you can see various shots of beautiful downtown Winter Haven. I have always been impressed when I have visited this town- it is really pretty, and has a great little downtown, and they have quite a few things going on. You might enjoy living on Lake Howard, which is a beautiful lake right near downtown. There are other lakes near downtown as well. Winter Haven is like beautiful "Old Florida" to me.

The prominent architect, Gene Leedy, lives here (since 1954) and there is a wealth of beautiful vintage architecture there that he has designed (mid-century modern).

And be sure to check out the Chain-of-Lakes:

Chain Of Lakes - Winter Haven Chamber of Commerce (http://winterhavenfl.com/chain_of_lakes - broken link)

Of course, Cypress Gardens is here as well, and just a few miles further down the road is Lake Wales, with all the murals downtown and the fabulous Bok Tower Sanctuary Gardens.

Now, as others here have said, none of these smaller towns will be a cultural mecca like a large major metro, but they have charm in and of themselves, and are not that far a drive to the bigger cities for major entertainment.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 08:07 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,418 times
My mother in law lives about a stones throw away from Cypress Gardens and we visit her quite often. That's a nice area there with all the activities you're looking for. It's not an area for me, but it might be for you. Lake Wales is too small and doesn't have the numbers of shops and restaurants you might want to head to from time to time.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:34 AM

5 posts, read 36,296 times
Update - we ended up renting a wonderful 1950 house a short walk to Lake Wailes Lake after exploring both the newer developments in Winter Haven, some lakefront rentals, and scouting some walkable neighborhoods. The owners had been trying to sell for 2 years but were willing to rent. Hooray! We will be back and forth into Winter Haven I'm sure.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:17 AM

90 posts, read 335,941 times
Default HI, where did you end up moving to?

Check out Cypresswoods, a gated community in Winter Haven off 27.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:15 PM

5 posts, read 36,296 times
Default final selection is...?

Coda: We looked at several places in Winter Haven and a few houses on some of the lakes in the area. But we ended up renting a house in Lake Wales a block from Lake Wailes Lake. We can walk down to the path and around the lake, and my commute is all back roads to work, 8 minutes. The downtown has seen more bustling days, but those I have run across seem hopeful for another revival. All in all we like living in what is actually an older established neighborhood. Thanks everyone.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,420 times
Quote:
Lake Wales is a charming little town, particularly if you're white, Christian, Republican and middle class.
Really??! (drools)
Would this be current??
(April 2010)
Could it be so??
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!

(I KNEW I was drawn to the place for a reason!)

Old 12-14-2010, 12:59 AM

29 posts, read 66,890 times
Does anyone know what the areas around Lake Effie are like, especially the West or East Northside Dr. neighborhoods? ......Thank you!

Old 05-06-2014, 04:53 PM

302 posts, read 499,564 times
I grew up in Lake Wales. I honeymooned in Winter Haven. I now live in West Palm Beach. We just this weekend decided we are moving back to the Lake Wales area. Where we are planning on going will be easy to get to Winter Haven for some of the shopping and such and I will still be able to get to the city of Lake Wales for those activities.

I know it has changed drastically since I left years ago, but it will still be a thousand times better than here in WPB.

We were recently planning on moving to Washington state, but due to certain circumstances, we will stay in Florida.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbjbb View Post
I grew up in Lake Wales. I honeymooned in Winter Haven. I now live in West Palm Beach. We just this weekend decided we are moving back to the Lake Wales area. Where we are planning on going will be easy to get to Winter Haven for some of the shopping and such and I will still be able to get to the city of Lake Wales for those activities.

I know it has changed drastically since I left years ago, but it will still be a thousand times better than here in WPB.

We were recently planning on moving to Washington state, but due to certain circumstances, we will stay in Florida.
Lake Wales is a neat little town. Has it really changed that drastically? We went to Bok Tower again last year, and it didn't seem so different to me. Certainly nothing bad anyway. It's kind of a little Florida secret. I love the amazing hills there.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:00 AM

302 posts, read 499,564 times
I know the neighborhood I grew up in is now really trashed and I would not feel safe driving there. The area grew along Hwy 27 and there's more there, but that's expected after 25 years or so. I've only been back twice since 1979. Will be moving back in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida