U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,802,619 times
Reputation: 1050

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
What's really beyond me is that you would take the Palmetto Expressway from the keys. If you are heading northbound, the turnpike extension from Homestead or even straight up to 95 is ALWAYS a better bet unless you happened to be going to Hialeah or Miami Gardens (doubt it). I also don't believe you one bit, because the Palmetto is way too busy to ever be moving full speed for any amount of time during daylight hours. If you were talking about I-95 or at night, I would believe you.
On the contrary, much of 826 moves at full speed (or breakneck speed) anytime between 9:30am and 4pm (post/pre-rush hour). It generally backs up when it approaches 836 (Dolphin Expressway), or around the big curve....or of course, if there's an accident (which is often), or if it rains.

As for going to/from the Keys, many people use that route to avoid the (many) toll plazas on the turnpike. Both 826 and the turnpike run parallel anyway, so distance wise, there probably isn't much difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 PM
 
2,414 posts, read 4,794,165 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I've driven in Germany (once) and I loved the autobahns. Yes, they are fast, but people drive extremely well (on the whole) and you barely see any of the nonsense (weaving across lanes, tailgating, cutting people off) that you see here all the time. In fact, cops in Germany will pull you over just for tailgating.....and they'd have a field day in South Florida, that's for sure.

The UK and France are pretty much the same, although drivers in France and the UK tend to be a bit crazy on those winding country roads that are barely wide enough for 2 cars to pass safely. Still, IMO...the skill levels are much higher and most know how to handle a car and avoid danger.

The driving test is MUCH harder in most European countries (apart from maybe Italy). The test is hard....they make you go out on the road for 30+ minutes to test your driving skills in a real environment, not a simulated track.
yeah Italy is the exception
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 PM
 
2,414 posts, read 4,794,165 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You have a lot of people driving in Florida with no car insurance and no regard for anyone else. They have nothing, so they have nothing to lose.

FL needs to start impounding cars that are not insured and don't have valid licenses.

Start doing state inspections and get the ones with bald tires, no brakes, and rustbuckets off the road.

Have lived all over the country and have never seen drivers like there are here.

Regardless of where they were born and raised, they're awful.
They need to start doing the inspections again. Having unsafe vehicles on the road doesn't make any sense. I wonder if someone could sue the state if their relative was killed in an accident by someone driving an unfit vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 PM
 
Location: North Pinellas
627 posts, read 1,176,151 times
Reputation: 637
The only way to drive in Tampa is to drive offensively just like everybody else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Miami North (Orlando)
976 posts, read 838,816 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
What's really beyond me is that you would take the Palmetto Expressway from the keys. If you are heading northbound, the turnpike extension from Homestead or even straight up to 95 is ALWAYS a better bet unless you happened to be going to Hialeah or Miami Gardens (doubt it). I also don't believe you one bit, because the Palmetto is way too busy to ever be moving full speed for any amount of time during daylight hours. If you were talking about I-95 or at night, I would believe you.

You dont believe me one bit? WTF? Why would I lie or need to lie about how bad the drivers are down there? I was born in S FL, remember?

No, this was at night, probably around 10pm maybe. We were coming from the Keys as Hurricane Charley was coming towards Key West, so we were forced to leave and head northward. As soon as we heard all non-residents of Key West had to leave, will filled up our gas tank, and took off. But it was definitely at night, maybe 9 or 10 pm.

I'm not familiar with Miami or Homestead, so me not taking the best route is possible, but I dont pull stories out of thin air. No reason for me to make up an excuse or story about how insane driving is down there. Why would I need to do that, I mean really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,802,619 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
You dont believe me one bit? WTF? Why would I lie or need to lie about how bad the drivers are down there? I was born in S FL, remember?

No, this was at night, probably around 10pm maybe. We were coming from the Keys as Hurricane Charley was coming towards Key West, so we were forced to leave and head northward. As soon as we heard all non-residents of Key West had to leave, will filled up our gas tank, and took off. But it was definitely at night, maybe 9 or 10 pm.

I'm not familiar with Miami or Homestead, so me not taking the best route is possible, but I dont pull stories out of thin air. No reason for me to make up an excuse or story about how insane driving is down there. Why would I need to do that, I mean really?
I'm guessing you took SR-874 (Don Shula Expressway) where the Turnpike "splits" near Metrozoo, as opposed to staying on the Turnpike? If so, you would have merged with 826 further north.

9 or 10pm? That's a scary time to be on the Palmetto. I try to avoid it after 8pm, because idiots love to use that stretch of highway as a racetrack, because they clearly have nothing better to do with their lives and no regard for the safety of other motorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Miami North (Orlando)
976 posts, read 838,816 times
Reputation: 194
^^^ It was bad. I hadnt ever seen anything like it. I was going the speed limit, or maybe 5 over, I cant rememeber, and people were flying by me. I wouldnt doubt it if some were doing over 100 mph - atleast. I remember my wife said something like "people dont drive like this in NC" lol... The weird thing is, I saw a cop back right behind someone, I mean pulled up right behind him like hw was pulling them over, and HE NEVER DID. He had no intention to do so. He was just in a hurry too. He (the cop) was driving the exact same way. I was shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 08:54 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,802,619 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
^^^ It was bad. I hadnt ever seen anything like it. I was going the speed limit, or maybe 5 over, I cant rememeber, and people were flying by me. I wouldnt doubt it if some were doing over 100 mph - atleast. I remember my wife said something like "people dont drive like this in NC" lol... The weird thing is, I saw a cop back right behind someone, I mean pulled up right behind him like hw was pulling them over, and HE NEVER DID. He had no intention to do so. He was just in a hurry too. He (the cop) was driving the exact same way. I was shocked.
The cops are as bad as any of the drivers here. I've been tailgated by cops (for no reason) and I've seen cops drive like maniacs (for no reason). I have no faith in the Miami-Dade Police....but the Florida State Troopers tend not to take any crap and do their job well, with limited resources.

Kind of off-topic, but I'm actually going to NC in September. I have a strange feeling that I'll like it (a lot), maybe even more than I liked MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Miami North (Orlando)
976 posts, read 838,816 times
Reputation: 194
You will like NC better than MA - no comparison! But I've never been to MA, lol.

Where are you going in NC?

If the Asheville area, I can tell you all kinds of stuff to check out and do. And being that it's in September, that's a good time to go. Still summer, so it will be warm but getting cool at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 08:58 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,734,421 times
Reputation: 2362
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
On the contrary, much of 826 moves at full speed (or breakneck speed) anytime between 9:30am and 4pm (post/pre-rush hour). It generally backs up when it approaches 836 (Dolphin Expressway), or around the big curve....or of course, if there's an accident (which is often), or if it rains.
I drive it a lot during the in between times and feel pretty lucky if I can make it to 65.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top