U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: investment visa, education, traffic, housing, market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 06:09 PM

10 posts, read 20,012 times
Hi again and thanks to ALL of you for your posts, Vincenzo, do you mean is making the decision easy if so then yes its easy to want to leave a country that is about the same area as Florida but has 60,000,000 inhabitants, the weather is C**P the roads are more like car parks, everything costs too much, if your a criminal then everyone falls over backwards to help you if your a victim then tuff luck..... the list goes on.... look at the state of any country just after it lost its empire and you will see what I mean, take Italy after the Roman empire collapsed or Egypt after the faroes and you will see a steady but massive decline in the country.... we have visited the US several times and we like the people, their attitude, and friendlyness, your country has its problems like all of them but it should also be proud of its achivements.

If you meant how easy is it to move to the USA then not that easy, we would be comming on an Investment visa which means we have to invest probably about $200,000 in an American business (this also answers pslOldTimer) this has to be done before we would get a visa and we have to carry on investing to be able to stay. We will have to pick an area and find a business before moving and just hope the decision is the right one, we cannot get a visa to work for a company unless they sponsor us and that just doesn't seem to happen much. We are in the process of getting our house ready to sell, its a 1740 Barn conversion and I've spent the last three years doing most of it myself, its nearly there. We will sell this and move to rented, then travel to the US to look at a shortlist of places, hopefully find somewhere nice and then look for a business, I appreciate most profitable businesses don't get sold but hopefully I can find something that has potential for growth.

One thing someone may be able to answer.... there are lots of mentions of North Carolina but no one has said anything about South Carolina.... is there a reason for this... can't you move there??

Anyway thanks to all of you for your comments, it is nice to get good and bad thinks mentioned, as I've said everywhere has good and bad points but we are fed up with all the bad points here so thought a move would be fun... we don't have to we just want to, and we are lucky enough to be in a position to be able to afford to. So keep the comments comming, I'm erring towards northern Florida at the moment but watch this space.....

Pete (nutty englishman who can't wait to get a V8!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer
The idea is that anyone who is willing to make that kind of commitment is welcomed and even encouraged to move to the US. The minimum investment is $1 Million and a commitment to hire 10 workers. In an area of high unemployment, the commitment drops to half a Million Dollars and 10 workers. ".
The information I have is a minimum of $100,000 but more like $200,000 I hope this is correct because there is no way we could get hold of $1 million,

Pete

Old 07-15-2006, 06:17 PM

See this web site for details

http://www.evanswallace.com/E2-Visas.htm

Pete

Old 07-15-2006, 09:16 PM

976 posts, read 2,622,036 times
Quote:
Of course, not. 16 Million people live in Florida. More are moving here every day. Twelve of them don't like it and are moving out. One guy from Ohio thinks he knows all about it because he's visited here a couple of times. Yeeah, right.
I may have visited Florida just a few times but my wife is from Florida and not only does her family have those same views but, many other Floridians do. Florida is a great state. I love it there. Blue waters, white sand and palm trees. I want Florida to do well. I hated seeing the hurricane damage in downtown West Palm Beach. But some of you are being very rude. I just gave someone some information. Look it up, Florida is 49th in graduating and the school systems arent doing very well. That doesnt mean every single school system is bad. I know Florida is a great place to visit and live in some areas. I was just giving this person info on something that might have been important in a move. They have kids and schooling is important. I have been told by Floridians about this. I didnt just come up with it or google it. Lets not show how rude Floridians can be. Its the New Yorkers down there that can get on your nerves. Floridians are spose to be laid back. But some arent showing it. I never bashed Florida. It was turned into a bashing contest when people think that Florida is the perfect place to live. No place is perfect. Anyway, overall i think Florida is a great state. Its beautiful and tropical. Im done. If you want to keep going on and make yourself look bad fine by me, but i have dropped it from here on out. Good luck with your move Pete.

Last edited by paintballer1708; 07-15-2006 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-15-2006, 09:30 PM

976 posts, read 2,622,036 times
By the way psloldtimer. I love Port St Lucie. That city is so great. Not far from West Palm Beach. My wifes family lives all over. I go down about six weeks during the summer. I go from Stuart, Palm City, Port St Lucie, Jupiter
(Jupiter is my favorite), West Palm, Royal Palm Beach, and Boca. I love that area around West Palm Beach and its metro. Florida really is a beautiful state and sorry that some of you seemed that i was bashing it.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:01 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,683,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantleaveherequickenough
See this web site for details

http://www.evanswallace.com/E2-Visas.htm

Pete
Aha; when I googled "investor visa", the information that came up was for an EB5 visa for permanent residence status. Invest the Million dollars, hire 10 employees and get a green card. The E2 visa to which you are referring is renewable, but does not confer permanent residence. Also, as you noted, the requirements are more loosely defined -- sounds like the situation may depend on which side of the bed the immigration official got up from that day.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:24 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,683,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708
Lets not show how rude Floridians can be.
OK. But, I get so darned tired of folks who have never actually had kids go through our schools base their opinions on isolated statistics and then proceed to bash the entire school system -- and you did do just that. It's not fair.

The statistic your cited is percentage of students who graduate. This number is skewed by the large number of migrant workers, temporary immigrants and illegal immigrants who attend the school system. The numbers count the number of students who start in the school system but don't graduate -- for any reason. If their family was deported back to Mexico or Guatemala, they pull the numbers down. These same students are also expected to help support the family and quit school in order to work in the fields or groves. The primary purpose is to send money back home and then return home themselves -- they never intend to do any other kind of work in the U.S., and a high school diploma is of low priority.

Factor out those numbers, and the picture improves dramatically. It's also important to put the numbers in perspective. A recent study puts Florida 5th lowest, with 58% graduating. That sounds terrible, until one realizes that the national average is 68%. Florida reports their own average at 66%, but they include students who receive GED degrees, which is apparently controversial. Contrast this to the city of Detroit schools, where the graduation rate is 22%!

But, the important thing is that the reasons why graduation rates are low does NOT mean that the schools are bad. It does mean that economics are bad, parent involvement is bad, and other similar factors. If a student stays in school and gets a degree, his education is as good as can be expected. The best example of this was a recent study of the best high schools in the nation; Florida was one of the leaders -- I forget the exact numbers without Googling it again, but there were something like more than 20 Florida schools in the top 60. As I recall, the top school was in Florida.

Students who want to learn have ample opportunity to learn in Florida, and students whose parent are involved get exceptional educations, just like they do anywhere in the U.S. Kids are basically the same, especially in a melting pot state like Florida where students come from all over the Nation, let alone the world. Teachers are pretty much the same. The physical facilities are essentially the same. If there is a difference, it comes from expectations, which are often tied to economic status.

We can get really deep into things like student attitudes in various areas of the country, where it's OK for students to excel academically in some areas, but a source of ridicule in others, Florida, unfortunately, still has too many areas where attitudes are from pre-Civil War days,

It just isn't fair to tell someone to stay away from Florida because the schools are bad because they have a slightoy lower graduation rate. That's like saying that someone should stay away from Ohio because they have a slightly higher percentage of mental health patients (I made that up as an illustration). Not all folks from Ohio are crazy as a result.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:02 PM

246 posts, read 15,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantleaveherequickenough
Hi again and thanks to ALL of you for your posts, Vincenzo, do you mean is making the decision easy if so then yes its easy to want to leave a country that is about the same area as Florida but has 60,000,000 inhabitants, the weather is C**P the roads are more like car parks, everything costs too much, if your a criminal then everyone falls over backwards to help you if your a victim then tuff luck..... the list goes on
If the list above is what you're used to, you'll have little problem adjusting to the Florida way of doing things. It's just like Britain except with palm trees and lovely pastel shades.

Oh yeah, and guns.

Magpies
#9 Forever!

Old 07-16-2006, 08:30 PM

25 posts, read 85,357 times
Deadr cantleaveherequickenough,
Have you researched Houston, Texas. I personnaly was about to relocate to Florida. Unless you got beaucoup Dollars, the cost of living has increased drastically, example: 5 years ago 150K would have gotten you a pretty nice house, now count to spent no less 250K, plus the insuarance and taxes are going up.
I paid for my house two years ago in Houston 195K, I have 2300 square feet, the same house in Florida will cost around 350K. Not sure what type of business you are planing to open, but definetely check out Houston. I met with with ex Floridian in Houston and they are very happy to be out there.
Regards and good luck.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:46 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,726,739 times
Texan, I'm sure it's very pretty in Texas, too. But all it would take is a couple of bad hits from hurricanes and you'd be in the same insurance crisis that Florida is now in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida