Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 05:27 PM

20 posts, read 142,036 times

Advertisements

We've just started searching for a second/vacation home in Florida and was hoping to find a 2/1 or 3/1 cottage. But seems not much is available that I can find, other than the 55 or older mobile home communities.

Is there such a place that has more cottage style small homes that are family (and pet) friendly to purchase?

Since we will only spend part of the winters there we would like to find a gated community and one that has amenities such as a pool, etc.

As far as location...we are open to any area of Florida from the pan handle on down to say a bit past Orlando. Not interested in the southern tip of Florida.

If we can't find a cottage, then a regular house or mobile (on it's own lot) would be our second choice.

Would like to find something under $125k if possible. Maybe I'm dreaming? LOL! I don't mind putting a bit of elbo grease into a place, it's just HAS to be in a good area. That's my biggest consern is finding a nice vacation place that is in a good neighborhood. I don't want to worry when we are there OR when we are not there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 09:54 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Default $125k? Yikes!

Florida's prices have gone up all over...if it's been a few years since you've priced areas here, you might be in for a shock.

You gave a very, very large target area, but did not mention beach proximity...are you looking for the beach? The woods? The beach will cost more than inland...a lot more.

Do you really need gated? Gated costs more, and I know there's this image that all neighborhoods in Florida are gated, but it's really not that way, so "gated" is usually a premium.

I think you need to narrow down the target area a bit in order to gather any significant input. Maybe you've visited some cities/towns that you've liked and can consider?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Hmmm.... can you give me a better idea of what you mean by "cottage style" home? Just like.... a small house?

If you have time, call up a Port St. Lucie, FL realtor and ask them about homes in "Walton Court," and ask how much they cost. It's a gated community, with what I would very much describe as a "Cottage style" home. It's close to the beach, river, Savannas State Preserve, and the new "Downtown" they are currently building. The homes are 2/1s, so I can't imagine they would be going for much over 125k (if any are available)!!

Check it out:

http://www.rentalhouses.com/listings/FL/4/117314/762_th.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rentalhouses.com/listings/FL/4/117314/762_l.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rentalhouses.com/listings/FL/4/117314/762_3.jpg (broken link)

This house is currently being rented. If you call a realtor and they don't know what "Walton Court" is, find another one with more experience in Port St. Lucie!! Also, ask if there are any similar communities. Port St. Lucie is about an hour and a half South of Orlando, on the Coast....so not sure if that's too South for you.... it's not quite South Florida, definitely not quite Central Florida.... the "Treasure Coast" it's called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: