Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:53 PM

79 posts, read 256,043 times

Advertisements

I've read many racist comments and opinions on Moderator cut: another forum and this board. It's pretty unfortunate reading how some people think so negatively about specific races or cultures. How they take the most awful stereotypes and use it as a blanket over everyone in that race. They may just be trying to insult an individual of a particular race and instead of staying on-topic they use an insult that instead insults all people that share that race.

Since I've been in PSL I've experienced two situations....

Two months ago, I was in Walmart and I had the music playing (not loud, but loud enough for anyone within 5 feet to hear clearly) and there were two other shoppers right next to me. They didn't say a word. As I got off the player but still in the lane a black man walked to the music player, changed the music but didn't seem to increase the volume or anything. He left after 30 seconds, turn the volume all the way down and once he left one of the guys looked at me and said "I bet he's looking for spinners that match that stereo." I just looked at him like what the hell are you talking about. I thought, because you've seen some black people drive in cars with spinners now every black person you meet must be looking around for spinners?!?!

And today at Publix I was paying and after me were two women speaking Spanish, in a moderate volume. The cashier then asked them to lower their voice...when she looked at me and smiled I said "Can you tell those guys behind you to keep it down?" (there were two teenagers really talking loud about 'Pirates Of The Caribbean 3') and she again smiled and whispered with a little laugh, "At least we understand what they're saying". Wow. It wasn't the volume but the language that bothered her? As I took my cart away I heard one of the Spanish speaking women asking the cashier in near-perfect English if she can get cashback with her debitcard. She wasn't some immigrant that decided not to assimilate. She was a completely bilingual person who just got discriminated against because she chose to speak Spanish to her friend.

So my question is...what's the deal? Everyone hates general people that take advantage of the system or commit crimes but many citizens here clump everyone together into stereotypes. Anyway, I'm debating reporting the cashier at Publix....what say you guys?

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida