Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:59 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times

Advertisements

It seems Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City has devised an ingenious plan to rid his city of the expense of taking care of it's homeless......a one way plane ticket. It is supposed many of them will opt to head to Florida...

NYC homeless moving to Florida - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 06:03 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
With such a high unemployment and foreclosusre rate maybe Florida should do the same. Send them back to ALL OVER the country, not just NY.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:10 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
It seems Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City has devised an ingenious plan to rid his city of the expense of taking care of it's homeless......a one way plane ticket. It is supposed many of them will opt to head to Florida...

NYC homeless moving to Florida - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
So they can be HOT and homeless? They will go wherever they have family, doesn't necessarily mean Florida. It is a difficult situation for all (the city, the families and the final destination).

Old 07-29-2009, 06:32 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times
People from NY come to FL. It must be in their blood. Apparently even the homeless NY'ers do too - doesnt FL attract the best folks - and I'm not just talking about homeless. :/

Old 07-29-2009, 06:38 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Just the very young and the very old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
People from NY come to FL. It must be in their blood. Apparently even the homeless NY'ers do too - doesnt FL attract the best folks - and I'm not just talking about homeless. :/
It's a standing joke.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 PM

^^^LOL.

The very young, the very old, and everything in between, lol.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:40 PM

berryjuice, I have to ask... what about FL is so attractive? I mean, I was born here and I love FL for what it was, but I dont have a big crush on it like I used to... mainly because it has turned into the place that so many left... but I have to ask why it's so attractive for NY'ers?

Dont get me wrong, I have met some nice people from Buffalo and Rochester, etc... that are laid back and fit in to the (well, what was) the FL lifestyle. But many don't. I guess if so many of them were like the folks I have met from Buffalo and Rochester, maybe I wouldnt be asking this question.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:53 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:

Maybe they will have read all about Florida in the City-Data forum instead, and get the impression that North Carolina, South Carolina, and Texas are better places to be.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:04 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:

I don't see anything where they are sending people to Florida. All the program does is assist people/families with no money get to where they have relatives who can help them. How is that a bad thing?

"Officials confirm that under a programme launched in 2007 – but so quietly that almost no one outside the administration of the Mayor Michael Bloomberg was aware of it until now – the city has been buying one-way tickets on whatever means of transport is appropriate, jumbo jets included, for homeless families to get out of Gotham.

It is not that that the city is sending them just anywhere, of course. Instead, when families turn up at the homeless shelter intake centre in the Bronx looking for beds, they are now automatically asked if they have friends or relatives anywhere else in the country – or the world – who might be willing to help. If a distant aunt or uncle is found and persuaded to play along, then the city will pony up the cash for the tickets to get them there."

Last edited by mango23; 07-30-2009 at 06:17 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 06:42 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
berryjuice, I have to ask... what about FL is so attractive? I mean, I was born here and I love FL for what it was, but I dont have a big crush on it like I used to... mainly because it has turned into the place that so many left... but I have to ask why it's so attractive for NY'ers?

Dont get me wrong, I have met some nice people from Buffalo and Rochester, etc... that are laid back and fit in to the (well, what was) the FL lifestyle. But many don't. I guess if so many of them were like the folks I have met from Buffalo and Rochester, maybe I wouldnt be asking this question.
Good Question, its like anywhere else that people flocked to..its not just florida that has Nasty Nykers trust me...However there are nasty people everywhere from our expereinces living elsewhere...if you were from certain parts of NY like we are from brooklyn, unfortunately it has changed since we grew up and lived there it was time to move on....Nyker's in general are a tough breed, but the same could be said about southerners and so on, we just choose not to assosicate with the Nasty people..lol..I will tell you that its a comfortable place to be, depending on where u are of course, u have people somewhat u can relate too..the Food is very good here, and dont forget about not wanting Winters and Cold although Weather shouldnt be the main factor for moving..although the Weather is awesome....the summer really hasnt been bad for us, as living in charlotte the temps got up to 96 degrees with high humidity so it isnt much different there or in NYC for that matter...this summer they are lucky as it has been unseasonably cool....

I think it comes down to a different quality of life than opposed to better because we all know all places have thier pro's and Cons and things dont stay the way they were when u moved there in the 1st place....People also look for a Change of life..florida is very attractive we think, there are things to do and I wish I could explain it but I cant....we have met some great new friends, very friendly people, the kids are at their happiest here so I cant speak for all NYker's but I know that not all places are for everyone but we have landed here and dont plan on leaving as we are very happy here so far and look at the positives than opposed to the negatives..I also have family here and friends and dh and I wanted to retire here anyway...LOL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida