Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:45 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,430,479 times

Advertisements

FlMom, I couldn't agree more with the things that Spook said. I can tell by the fact that you have young children that you're considerably younger then I am. I know you may feel like you're intruding, but I absolutely love it when I meet a younger friend who has children. I have a friend who is in her mid 30s and love her little girl. It just makes my day when we get together for a little chat. I buy small gifts for my "adopted granddaughter" for the holidays and love the joy it brings her. Don't get me wrong, I'm not OLD by any means. For some reason being old has the stigma of being grouchy and not wanting little ones around to make noise. I don't mean to put the blame on you because you may be making an effort. There are different types of people in different areas. The city I live in is nice and friendly and so are the towns in this area, but if you drive 25 miles to the south, you'll find the rudest, most insensitive, unfriendly people that exist. But your neighbors don't sound like they're like that since they at least smile and say, "HI". If you befriend someone who is a bit older, there are many things that you could do with them. A lot of older people love going to the park and going for walks and playing cards and games, etc. I really wish you luck because you sound like such a nice person. Hisses on the people who told you that your children playing in the yard was a "white trash" thing. Sounds like they're snooty and just the kind of people that I avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 05:22 PM

266 posts, read 1,025,512 times
I do have older and younger friends back North, and I am honestly making an effort. Even more so since my husband is working at home now and won't be meeting people through work unless he travels.

Spending time with people on occasion is great, older, younger....as long as they are good people. I think I had mentioned before that our neighbors are older and always say hi, and say hello to the girls. One even made us cookies at xmas time. But it doesn't go much further than that since most of the time they are inside.

I was just hoping that with so many people with kids, that we would be able to atleast meet one couple, or singles, with children the same age as ours.

My main reason for posting, was that I wanted to know if anyone else had experienced the same lengthy time in meeting friends, and also to hear some positive things about FL since so many on the boards are saying stay away or the crime is bad, education, etc. etc.

I think my husband and I are good geniune people. We are always respectful of others, and we love spending time as a family (some say we spend too much time together but my parents died when I was young and family is VERY important to me). I want what is best for my girls.

OK enough of that.....I know with all the suggestions people have given me, that something will come of it...I am not giving up hope yet!

Old 07-13-2006, 07:02 PM

108 posts, read 692,711 times
Hi Flmomof2, we will be moving from Windermere in August for a small town 30 minutes north of Tallahassee, called Thomasville Georgia. We make visits almost every weekend to Thomasville to get a feel of the area. Thomasville has a beautiful historic downtown with brick streets, great shopping and restaurants. Most streets are draped with moss covered live oak trees. Surrounding the downtown is four historical districts with hundreds of 100 plus year old homes. The town is filled with civic pride and true southern charm. On our first visit we stopped by what we found out was Georgia’s oldest drug store. The owner, in her 80’s showed us old pics of the store and gave us a brief history of Thomasville. When we told here we were looking into moving to Thomasville she was so excited that we picked her town to raise our little boy. When we left my pocket was filled with contact numbers and other needed info on Thomasville. We visited many downtown stores and after we left each store we felt like we new the owners personally. This is a true community. They have many festivals throughout the year and every December they have a downtown old fashion Victorian Christmas complete with costumes and horse drawn carriages. Just a side note! Every year we hit all of Disney’s parks to enjoy the Christmas holidays and to tell you the truth Disney can’t hold a Christmas candle to Thomasville’s Christmas festivities. Thomasville is only 15 miles from the Florida state line so the winters are nice and you can have palm trees too. Here are some facts about Thomasville you don’t normally find in a city that size. Active arts and cultural center, highly rated hospital with a level one trauma center. A Fortune 500 company and many museums.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:28 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,184 times
I unfortunately never was able to have kids & I simply adore all children, like my neighbors baby!! and now her little bottom teeth are growing in...ahhh! I can't wait to see her this afternoon to kiss her to death. There's nothing more refreshing than seeing life thru childrens eyes Ohhh...that innocence!
Anyway, yes don't give up. You sound like a nice warm friendly person, just don't change cause who knows?? Maybe, one of your neighbors will be one of those on this board that is fed up w/Florida, pack up & leave & you'll get new wonderful, loving neighbors...

Old 07-14-2006, 11:27 AM

266 posts, read 1,025,512 times
jdaryl2002- Looks like you may have found the place you always wanted. I looked up the housing in Thomasville and its looks VERY nice and affordable.
Hope your move brings great things for you and your family!

Old 07-14-2006, 12:49 PM

108 posts, read 692,711 times
Thanks Flmomof2, I wish you the best and don’t give up. Up till two years ago I worked in Apopka in the foliage business. This past Tuesday I took a drive up to visit my former customers and was shocked at the growth. Many are selling their greenhouses and farmland for new homes. Unfortunate it’s another close knit community that is also disappearing.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:13 PM

38 posts, read 160,852 times
Hi Mom of 2. I am a Mom of 3 looking into moving to Ocala from NY. I wish I were moving to your community. You sound like you would be a great friend. I have 6 year old twin girls and a 12 year old boy.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:50 AM

421 posts, read 468,782 times
Default making friends in Fl

flmomof2....know exactly what you're saying..we have been here since 2001 and know no one. Our son has alot of friends tho. Schools and medical is just horrible...especially compared to Jersey.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:49 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,528 times
where are you guys that you cant find friends??? there are 17 million or so ppl in fla, we have met plenty of ppl.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:55 AM

421 posts, read 468,782 times
Default Friends

I am in Port Saint Lucie by the Indian River. We have met tons of ppl but none that were ppl we had much in common with and are either too young or too old...plus we are night owls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida