U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the weather in FL pleasant to you in the time of year? (Late July-Sept)
No 39 58.21%
Yes 28 41.79%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:41 AM

2,763 posts, read 6,004,864 times

Advertisements

Very good Trim - this just proves an earlier statement - different strokes for different folks - I choose hot and cold on my terms not something I just have to deal with!! But that's just me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 AM

353 posts, read 710,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Now just speaking for myself today was the perfect 10.. dry low 70's during the day and into the 50's at night. Well I guess I need to move to a place like Santa Barbara where I really could live without an A/C. Southern Florida would have remained as nothing but a couple of remote seaside villages catering to snowbirds if A/C had never been invented.
that is funny, so good thing we have heaters and AC aye?
besides I doubt that South Florida (Miami) used to be extremely popular even before AC was ever invented...

Old 12-29-2009, 04:00 PM

778 posts, read 1,460,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
May I suggest you study topics of geography and history a bit more? Start somewhere easy like Jared Diamond's "Guns Germs and Steele." There's a Wikipedia synopsis on it if you'd rather take a shortcut.

Environment can affect development, but it's not "Heat and humidity" or tropical weather that is the cause. The development and agricultural patterns of old effect the location of the "great" cities of today.

However, the great pre-Columbian Aztecs, Maya, etc., all existed in hot and humid areas, and were very advanced. Iraq is a hot hellish hole for half the year, with temperatures approaching 120F in the summer, has much more severe and erratic weather than Miami, and was the cradle of civilization.

Let us all look forward to SoFla becoming more and more like a Bagdad then..Iraq may be the cradle of civilization in your eyes. Best of luck with that.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:59 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,706,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Let us all look forward to SoFla becoming more and more like a Bagdad then..Iraq may be the cradle of civilization in your eyes. Best of luck with that.

In my eyes? No, try a history book. Spend some of your "trapped inside during the summer escaping the sun that will melt your face and destroy your life" at a nice air conditioned library.

South Florida the next cradle of Civilization? Of course not, but neither is the Rust Belt. Miami IS one of THE iconic American cities that foreigners think of when they think of American cities. It's problems have very little to do with "climate" and more to do with "inhabitants."

Old 12-31-2009, 05:00 PM

440 posts, read 2,241,985 times
Almost 70 degrees today with sunshine and a Blue Moon tonight to top it off. What more could you want on New Years Eve?

Sending all of you at City Data wonderful vibrations for the New Year!

~peace & blessings~

Old 01-01-2010, 03:35 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,396,462 times
I like the heat, not the cold. I go to work tonight, and it's going to be cold! I'll be all bundled up in sweater, coat, hat, long sleeve shirt, etc.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 AM

160 posts, read 429,290 times
it's too cold in naples now and it's only going to get worse next week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida