U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the weather in FL pleasant to you in the time of year? (Late July-Sept)
No 39 58.21%
Yes 28 41.79%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 05:24 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,955,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrubin View Post
Today was an exception, I have to admit, the weather was lovely today and I went out for a jog.

But why do I have to wait until DECEMBER 20TH to get decent weather? Why?

If it got in the 60's earlier in the year, like in September I could handle this State.

But the fact is, it DOES get in the 80's even in December, it's just too hot for me.

To everyone who likes it, I'm happy for you, and I'm happy you found a place to live with weather you love.

But I know I want to watch the trees turn their beautiful colours, and then later on watch the snow fall lightly out my window. I know where I belong and I know what I was made for..
This state has had this same weather for hundreds of years.

I am sure you can find a state that suits your weather needs.

I moved here to have as many days a year above 80 degrees as possible.

By the way the trees do turn color here. There may be more evergreens and palms so the trees that do change do not stand out as much but as I type this I am looking out the window at yellow and brown leaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
The weather has been very nice the last week but had to wait till mid December for it to really break. The climate to me seems much hotter all over Florida than a decade or two ago. You needed a sweater most nights from Nov-March in Orlando and from Oct-April in the northern part of the state. I even lived two years in Daytona. Had the heater going full blast many a night in the winter.
I hear this so many times but the average annual temperatures for Florida has been relatively stable for 100 years.

Quote:
For over a century, there has been no statistically significant long-term trend in statewide average temperatures for the state of Florida. Current temperatures are similar to those experienced in the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s.
http://ff.org/centers/csspp/pdf/20070709_florida.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-25-2009, 06:34 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,979,478 times
Default Again, different part of the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
This state has had this same weather for hundreds of years.

I am sure you can find a state that suits your weather needs.

I moved here to have as many days a year above 80 degrees as possible.

By the way the trees do turn color here. There may be more evergreens and palms so the trees that do change do not stand out as much but as I type this I am looking out the window at yellow and brown leaves.
I have a tree, not palm or evergreen, in my backyard. It stays green all year. Well, one branch turned brown last year, and stayed that way. It did not grow new leaves, so eventually we cut it off.

As I said in my other post, it surprised me all the trees turning colors in Jacksonville, as opposed to in Naples, besides the 20 degree difference in temp on the same day. Again, my argument for this, and the temps, is not decade, but longitude.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I have a tree, not palm or evergreen, in my backyard. It stays green all year. Well, one branch turned brown last year, and stayed that way. It did not grow new leaves, so eventually we cut it off.

As I said in my other post, it surprised me all the trees turning colors in Jacksonville, as opposed to in Naples, besides the 20 degree difference in temp on the same day. Again, my argument for this, and the temps, is not decade, but longitude.
What kind of tree is it?
Is it meant to change color?
Not all trees are created equal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXfJulhblUM

Old 12-25-2009, 07:11 AM

4,230 posts, read 5,701,069 times
Quote:
I hear this so many times but the average annual temperatures for Florida has been relatively stable for 100 years.

http://ff.org/centers/csspp/pdf/20070709_florida.pdf (broken link)
Maybe, but I think the thousands of miles of black pavement, loss of trees and natural habitat, millions of scalding hot catalytic converters,non stop lawn sprinklers, uncountable amount of AC units and general hot air introduced since the 1920's has made a difference in ambient temperatures and humidity. Or maybe after 35+ years I'm just sick to death of it.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Maybe, but I think the thousands of miles of black pavement, loss of trees and natural habitat, millions of scalding hot catalytic converters,non stop lawn sprinklers, uncountable amount of AC units and general hot air introduced since the 1920's has made a difference in ambient temperatures and humidity. Or maybe after 35+ years I'm just sick to death of it.
You will get the heat island effect in certain areas but averaged out over the whole state there is no difference.

Maybe you need to move out of the city.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:37 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,701,069 times
Quote:
You will get the heat island effect in certain areas but averaged out over the whole state there is no difference.

Maybe you need to move out of the city.
Mmm.. nah, I'll stay put. I still think all the hot air from the North has definitely made it more uncomfortable for a lot of us, though.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:40 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,979,478 times
No difference between different parts of the state? How do you explain a difference of 20 degrees on the same day then between Naples and Jacksonville?

Old 12-25-2009, 01:37 PM

749 posts, read 2,102,379 times
It's been great weather in Inverness. I usually keep the windows and doors open all day. Had a couple of freeze warnings issued for the area last week and will probably get some more next week. I have no heat in the house so when it gets in the lower 30's I use a little oscillating tower heater and heavy blankets.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:37 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,007,888 times
Lol - that is pretty funny Cool - be careful though those things cause fires - all the best!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida