Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 5,388 times

Advertisements

We live in MO in a small town. We recently decided that we want to move to Florida. We want a small town that isn't to far from Disney or the beach and A small crime rate. We don't want to move and get robbed. We have small children and are looking for a place that has football and all the sports. Please help us. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 08:56 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Maybe the St. Augustine area? Close enough to Disney for a day trip, Jacksonville football close by, small town vibe, safe, good schools....

The only thing left would be securing a job in your field. Some fields will be easier than others, but if you're looking for a year or two out, things SHOULD be better by then. Hopefully!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:09 AM

5,470 posts, read 6,290,008 times
I'd suggest looking in the area north of Tampa, around Citrus County. The Ocala area is really nice and has a wide range of home prices to choose from. Look in Hernando and near Iverness as well. It's a good day trip to Orlando, and Tampa (Busch Gardens) is even closer. I'm from New England, but have family there and I LOVE IT! Best of luck to you!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I'd suggest looking in the area north of Tampa, around Citrus County. The Ocala area is really nice and has a wide range of home prices to choose from. Look in Hernando and near Iverness as well. It's a good day trip to Orlando, and Tampa (Busch Gardens) is even closer. I'm from New England, but have family there and I LOVE IT! Best of luck to you!
No jobs here in Ocala, 12.6% unemployment rate. Electric rates have shot up recently, cost of living is MUCH higher here than Mo, and the wages are lower.
I moved here 20 years ago from Missouri, and was in culture shock for about 2 years.
I am flying to Mo this week to look at property, I want to get myself lined up to get out of here when DH is able to retire, hate it here!
Dont wanna frighten you, but I would think long and hard about moving here if I were you.
Also, compared to Mo schools, the schools here are awful!

Old 08-02-2009, 02:47 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times
As suggested, you REALLY need to spend a couple weeks in Florida examining many various areas as there are soooo many little towns to choose from ; if you want THE most affordable area of Florida to live...then that honor probably goes to the Panhandle which is where i live. Yes, its a full days drive to Disney but how often will you be going there realistically (?) . Common jobs are scarce up here, but the Emerald Coast is magnificent with tons of beaches to explore , and, the Panhandle is THE most conservative Christian area which translates into more people putting value on values , morals, ethics, etc... its an area good for family life (despite the recent very sad national news of the Couple in Pensacola getting murdered) .

Old 08-02-2009, 07:06 PM

4 posts, read 8,436 times
Default texas instead of fl

HAVING LIVED IN MO FOR 25YRS.AND FLORIDA FOR 30YRS.AND NOW MOVED TO TEXAS.DUE TO FLA'S.ECONOMIC ISSUES,MY SUGGESTION FOR YOU IS TEXAS.LOOK UP THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY.YOULL THINK YOUR IN THE MOUNTAINS.SIX FLAGS FIESTA TX.IN SAN ANTONIO.SEA WORLD.TUBE THE GUADELUPE RIVER IN NEW BRAUNFELS,THE MOUNTIANS NEAR EL PASO.ARE BEAUTIFUL,AND OF COURSE THE GULF OF MEXICO.DOWN AROUND CORPUS CHRISTI.DRIVE ON BEACHES,WHERE UNLIKE FLA'S BEACHES WITH ITS STRICKED RULES.YOU CAN CAMP OUT ALL NIGHT OR ALL WEEK.JOBS HERE ARE PLENTY.HOUSING IS AFFORDABLE.NEW BRAUNFELS CRIME RATE IS VERY LOW.1 MURDER IN 10 YRS.I DONT KNOW ABOUT SCHOOLS HERE.CAUSE ALL MY KIDS WERE RAISED IN FLA.WHICH I DIDNT LIKE THE SCHOOLS THERE EITHER.ONLY A SUGESTION AS I SAID.BUT FOR MY MONEY,TEXAS!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times
Would check out Dunedin, Mount Dora, Miconopy, Lakeland, Ocala, DeLand, New Smyrna Beach, Flagler Beach and Merrit Island/Satellite Beach.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Mount Dora is a bedroom community for Orlando, there is NOTHING in Micanopy but the shops.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,388 times
what is the Panhandle? We are christians amd that sounds nice there. Thanks

Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Small towns not too far from Disney, try Lake Wales, Winter Haven or Auburndale. Auburndale you might like, as it is only 11 miles east of Lakeland, which is a nice smaller city with a friendly and somewhat conservative Southern Christian feel. Plenty of recreation there for the kids, enough to do, and the area has a bit better economy than many places in Florida. This also would put you close enough not only to Disney but to Orlando for more work possibilities. Auburndale has a very cute downtown, and a "beach" on the lake.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida