Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:22 AM

727 posts, read 1,836,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
We moved out of Miami to Concord, NC-right outside of Charlotte. The bf is Cuban and couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't find a job because I wasn't bilingual. Mind you we were both born in Miami and obviously saw the drastic change from the Latin influx over the years. We could afford to buy a house but what we wanted was $600K in a decent area and that's not even a fantastic house. My car insurance on a Murano was over $2000 a year alone and my renters insurance was $1300 a year.

We moved to Concord and purchased a brand new fully loaded 3300 sq ft house for $282K. Our house insurance is $300 a year and car insurance for two cars is $600 a year. People speak English and its pretty nice up here with the change of seasons but pretty cold!! My family still lives in Miami and would love to have them come up here but the brother is a firefighter and my parents are elderly. I would only go back to visit them and that's a big IF.
A very familiar story. I am sorry that Miami has turned into what it is today. The whole area is a plce I wouldnt even consider living in. You will be happier up there, I know Concord area well. Keep it English up there, and when people from Miami move up there say, "hey, we speak English up here, and we say 'hello' to one another." The last thing you want is for that area to change and become another Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 10:06 AM

268 posts, read 899,999 times
We (Americans) let Miami get that way.... we lost our balls.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
We (Americans) let Miami get that way.... we lost our balls.
Last time I checked Miami was full of Americans? Or do you mean white(Non Hispanic) Americans?

Old 12-27-2008, 11:43 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
None of those towns are really considered " great sports towns. "
They've all got major league baseball teams--that's the main qualifier for me.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Last time I checked Miami was full of Americans? Or do you mean white(Non Hispanic) Americans?
Miami... full of Americans? Miami of Ohio maybe, lol.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Everything you listed you can find fairly cheap in East Tennessee around Knoxville. Well.. with the exception of skiing.

Great quality of life up there, esp. around Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg..

Man, that area is so nice. I love when you come into that area on I-40 and you see the really green rolling hills and so forth. Although I still love FL, FL cannot compete with the beauty of that area. Although they do put up billboards advertising TN in FL real estate magazines, lol.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:46 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
We moved out of Miami to Concord, NC-right outside of Charlotte. The bf is Cuban and couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't find a job because I wasn't bilingual. Mind you we were both born in Miami and obviously saw the drastic change from the Latin influx over the years. We could afford to buy a house but what we wanted was $600K in a decent area and that's not even a fantastic house. My car insurance on a Murano was over $2000 a year alone and my renters insurance was $1300 a year.

We moved to Concord and purchased a brand new fully loaded 3300 sq ft house for $282K. Our house insurance is $300 a year and car insurance for two cars is $600 a year. People speak English and its pretty nice up here with the change of seasons but pretty cold!! My family still lives in Miami and would love to have them come up here but the brother is a firefighter and my parents are elderly. I would only go back to visit them and that's a big IF.

I ran out of Concord NC screaming and never looked back. Either you aren't really in Concord, or you are in the outskirts. Almost 60% of the orginal part of Concord are illegal immigrants. Can't tell you HOW many times I was stuck in the line at the post office there, while some poor postal clerk was trying to explain to an immigrant in regards to opening up a post office box. Non English speaking is rampant in Concord. There's more if it in Concord than in Charlotte, Huntersville, Davidson, Kannapolis, Statesville and on and on.
Maybe not as bad as Miami, but Concord would have been the last place I chose to live in NC, if I was trying to escape a non-English speaking area. I would have chosen one of the other communities.

If your house insurance is 300 a year, I'd like to know how. Begs to be rather overstated. My renters insurance in Concord for only my personal belongings was 200.00. My son lives in Concord and his homeowners for 285K house is much higher than that. My car insurance doubled when I moved to Concord NC. Then again I didn't move to NC from Florida.

I pay more for car insurance down here than I ever did up North. SC is even more than NC....it's because of all the uninsured, fake driver licenses driving people...

Old 12-27-2008, 12:53 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
They've all got major league baseball teams--that's the main qualifier for me.
You know... My wife and I had been talking about moving back to Texas.. She wants to be closer to her mother ( Louisiana ) and I want to be closer to an MLB team.. I love baseball and would relocate to Houston right now If I had the chance.

We have done alot of FL/TN/NC arguments on here but Houston to me, is the best of all worlds...

Lots of Jobs, Cheap cost of living, Great weather, All Major League sports ( minus the NHL ), Beaches, Outdoor activities, being the 4th largest city in the U.S. It also has the culture and diversity that I would love to have.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:55 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
Man, that area is so nice. I love when you come into that area on I-40 and you see the really green rolling hills and so forth. Although I still love FL, FL cannot compete with the beauty of that area. Although they do put up billboards advertising TN in FL real estate magazines, lol.
I haven't spent a ton of time up in that area. I've spent more time in Chattanooga and Memphis ( live in Nashville ) I hate Memphis but not for the reasons everyone would think. Yeah, the crime is bad and the people act foolish but It has more to do with the way things are run there. Like as in politics and local government.

Chattanooga is beautiful and has TONS of stuff to do ( if you're into outdoors type stuff ) not to mention It's about 2-2 1/2 hours from both Atlanta and Nashville.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:56 PM

"Almost 60% of the orginal part of Concord are illegal immigrants. Can't tell you HOW many times I was stuck in the line at the post office there, while some poor postal clerk was trying to explain to an immigrant in regards to opening up a post office box. Non English speaking is rampant in Concord."

^^^Oh man, your gonna have fun in FL! You havent seen nuthin' yet!

"I pay more for car insurance down here than I ever did up North. SC is even more than NC....it's because of all the uninsured, fake driver licenses driving people..."

^^^ It's funny to me when people in NC complain about people w/o drivers licenses and bad driving habits... like I said before Mrs P, choose VERY wisely if you are moving to FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida