U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 05:35 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,753,396 times

Advertisements

Orlando Edgewater still a big program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:12 PM

8,181 posts, read 16,523,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Orlando Edgewater still a big program?
Edgewater is pretty good, Winter Park is a great school with a great program.

Apopka HS is an OK school with a good football program.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,396,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontarior View Post
Let me [SIZE=3]rephrase. I want one of the better schools that have a great football program along with a good academic program. Preferrably in the Sarasota, Orlando or Tampa areas, anywhere close to these areas would be good. [/SIZE]
I don't know anything about the academics at schools in those areas. I live in Broward and I am fairly knowledgeable about the Broward football scene.

Where are you moving from?
How old is your son and how much football experience does he have?
How big is your son?

Most high school football players in FL enter high school with at least 5 or 6 years of youth football experience. Football in CA, TX, FL, and PA is on a different level than the rest of the country. Someone who is a stud in a weak state might not be able to get in the game here in FL (depending on the team).

Here in FL the schools are broken into different classes based on size. Many of the public schools in the metropolitan areas are absolutely huge and football players at 5A and 6A schools tend to be absolutely enormous. If your son is a good player but smaller, it might be more advantageous to find a smaller school. Around here (Broward) that usually means private, but I don't know about the areas you are exploring. We opted for a 3A school (it was 2A), with an excellent academic program for our son who is good, but small. He can excel at that school where the local school is a 6A school and he might not get a look at that school, which also has an excellent football program.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:00 AM

14 posts, read 29,471 times
Orlando Tampa Miami And ..Well All Of Florida HAs Great Football programs It Depends On Whiich Region. Boone High School ..Orlando Dr. Phillips and Timber Creek orlando...Spruce Creek...Mianland High School Lake Mary..Pahokee Dillard North Miami

Old 08-05-2009, 05:45 AM

478 posts, read 893,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Lakeland High School is one of the better schools in the state for football. We used to HATE having them on our schedule.

Welcome to LakelandFootball.com
What school did you go to?

Old 08-05-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontarior View Post
I am moving to Florida, and want to move where my son will be able to attend one of the best football highschool program. Can anyone please help?
Check out the 2 links below. This should help you in your decision. Then figure out which schools have the best academia. I'm a firm believer that an education is what you make of it. However, there are some environments that are more conducive to learning than others. You make the call.
Florida's Best Since 1999
Geographic Powers

Personally, I recommend Lakeland (my Alma Mater) but throughout Florida there is a great number of strong programs with a fairly decent educational background.

By the way, how soon are you looking to relocate?

Old 08-05-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I don't know so much about them nowadays but Bradenton Manatee was a powerhouse at one time and Tampa Plant is pretty good too.
Manatee has made a comeback as of recent. Good to have coach Kinnan back. He used to give us a Lakeland headaches back in the day.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:58 AM

346 posts, read 1,211,663 times
ontarior, If you are looking for a good academic + football school in that area that's decent would be Plant High School. I'm sure Lakeland is good, but out of the way and I'm not sure it's an academic powerhouse. What about Armwood High School as well? They always have high profile kids coming out of there in a good area. Everyone in Florida knows that the premiere football powerhouse is located in the Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach County area.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:53 AM

32 posts, read 85,835 times
Sarasota Riverview has always been pretty good at football and is a great academic school.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,496,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
What school did you go to?
I went to Durant and Plant City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or