U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:41 PM

458 posts, read 860,108 times
Many great posts here.

Only thing I can add is that marina-style living caters to specific interests like truck stops: from the healthy and innovative to the lowest dysfunction of rebel outlaws (i.e. pirates). Drugs, prostitution, robbery, etc.

What a find to pay $1K per month docking fees to be surrounded by neighbors cooking Meth or making a living importing illegal contraband/smuggling (Illegal Aliens, Drugs, Guns/Weapons, Cash, Gemstones, Endangered Species, Historic Artifacts, etc.)!

Remember, you're talking Florida (not Rochester): gateway to Caribbean, Latin, Central and South America!

Think about your liver and the heavy drinking to "socialize" with your new found friends (i.e. what else is there to do with pirates?)...Oh, what fun and adventure!

Hope you can add this to your romantic twist! Have a safe trip!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 08-08-2009 at 12:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:11 AM

6,156 posts, read 4,710,760 times
Is there an estimate on how many people live on houseboats in Florida?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:59 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,633,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
Many great posts here.

Only thing I can add is that marina-style living caters to specific interests like truck stops: from the healthy and innovative to the lowest dysfunction of rebel outlaws (i.e. pirates). Drugs, prostitution, robbery, etc.

What a find to pay $1K per month docking fees to be surrounded by neighbors cooking Meth or making a living importing illegal contraband/smuggling (Illegal Aliens, Drugs, Guns/Weapons, Cash, Gemstones, Endangered Species, Historic Artifacts, etc.)!

Remember, you're talking Florida (not Rochester): gateway to Caribbean, Latin, Central and South America!

Think about your liver and the heavy drinking to "socialize" with your new found friends (i.e. what else is there to do with pirates?)...Oh, what fun and adventure!

Hope you can add this to your romantic twist! Have a safe trip!
You are pretty right about most of what you write. Again my cousin for example. I mentioned he has a web site he keeps us updated on. It always seems the pictures on there are all people on each others boats drinking. Or they are on one of the islands in some local watering hole all obviously drunk. I really dislike that even though I was in the bar business for years. There is a difference between going out on a
Friday night with a few friends and having the whole drinking thing as a lifestyle and subculture. It bothers me when I see all those pictures.

This is funny. I just found an email from my sister. It says she just heard from Ray and he has sold the boat and he bought a house in Las Vegas. This email came on Aug 3rd. It came to an email account I don't check often so it is new news to me. I was going to post some pictures from his website and went to that email account to look for them.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 10,390 times
Default wrong info.

I find some of the replies amusing concerning houseboats. I have a 84ft sumerset house boat with a hot tub 2 king size rooms with the ability to sleep 15. has two outboard motors and at the moment is at lake mead near las vegas.

I live there all year round, costs me about 1100 a month with water elect,cable tv ect. And it does not need to be towed anywhere. I am not sure what type of house boats people are talking about. because if you look up any +2001 house boats they have mroe amenties then most homes.

Now that being said i would never take it to florida or california or any coast. Houseboats are made for lakes they dont go fast but have alot of room and options. they are not allowed in open water and are not made for it.

please look up any good house boat company and you will see from 100,000+ you can get a house boat that has better living then MANY homes. Not only that lake mead has 800 miles of coast to explore. i havnt done even 10% so far and i have lived here 4 years. so please instead of bashing houseboats do your research. Housboats are great@ i have a jetski attached to it and the fishing is great.

if you dont need to work or your retired it is fantasic to live on you. but for vacation you can rent them in all teh major lakes.. lake mead..mohavi ect ..try it out i bet youll love it.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:01 AM

15,952 posts, read 11,869,173 times
" the Dock of the Bay" from the Otis Reading song
Sausalito, Ca

Old 10-22-2009, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,288 times
Default houseboat living fla west coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I've often dreamed of living on a houseboat in one of the many bays on the Gulf side. Tampa-Longboat, Sanibel-Pines seem ideal. Do many couples (w/o kids, of course) choose this lifestyle in those areas. Where is the most popular area in Fla for this kind of lifestyle?
There are a myriad of places to live aboard in the St.Petersburg Pasadida,gulfport & Indian rocks beach areas..... I was pleasently suprised as to the amount of places that will let you live aboard....however, It was explained that full time versuses weekend living may be of some consequence, full time may be frowned upon unless your real quite and know how to buy a drink or two perhaps for the right folks!

Old 04-24-2010, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,898 times
I live on a houseboat in Key West going on 14 years and no storm has sunk more than the shabbiest structures that were going down away. I'm connected to a sewage system that pumps out my houseboat twice a week for under $500 a month so unless you live it for real you don't have any business judging the 200+ live a boards in KW

Old 07-12-2010, 03:50 PM

8 posts, read 28,505 times
Hi, The "Houseboats" I've seen, in person or on TV shows from HGTV, either were someones fantasy home or their good fortune to find a place as beautiful as Sauselito, on San Francisco Bay. Also, I have encountered a few people living on regular cabin cruisers right in Washington, DC. Since that is my home, a dream was to do the same, but move South along the intercoastal waterway. Instead, I bought a small, but comfotable RV - A large camper on a Chevy Silverado. The first trip South in this brand new rig - the whole thing rolled over after going around a bend on the Blue Ridge Parkway. There were no pirates or other oddballs either. I think that a nice little cabin cruiser would have been fun. Right now am two weeks from my 75th and wonder where and how to live for next five years. Probably in a ground house in Las Vegas, taking short trips to Lake Mead.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 PM

607 posts, read 506,597 times
Houseboats rock!

Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,742 times
Thinking about buying myself a boat house. I just want a small one bedroom boat to keep parked on the edge of the river here in Bradenton, FL. I just recently moved here and I live in a studio apartment right beside the river. I am drawn more and more to the riverboat home experience. I am just curious on fees for this. Just to get things started and how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida