U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-05-2009, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,875 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to the Lakeland area from New York. My most major concern is the hurricane situation. Could anyone please tell me if Lakeland gets hit often with Hurricanes? if so, what category? Is there major damage? Death? Are there frequent evacuations? Please let me know any information or experiences you have had with Hurricanes in the Lakeland area. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 01:15 PM

395 posts, read 505,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessMxPx88 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to the Lakeland area from New York. My most major concern is the hurricane situation. Could anyone please tell me if Lakeland gets hit often with Hurricanes? if so, what category? Is there major damage? Death? Are there frequent evacuations? Please let me know any information or experiences you have had with Hurricanes in the Lakeland area. Thank You!
Lakeland doesn't get hit often but you have to keep in mind that Florida is a peninsula so anything remotely close to the Florida Atlantic/Gulf coast will adversely affect Lakeland in one form or another.

Of course, there was 2004:

Old 08-05-2009, 01:44 PM

557 posts, read 1,185,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessMxPx88 View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned about hurricanes here in Lakeland as this is generally the safest place in central Florida to be in a hurricane. You'll have flooding and wind damage from the storms but as long as you are not in a mobile home you should be safe.

You have my deepest sympathies for having to move to Lakeland. Hang in there things will get better. Please remember this is NOT 2005 and 2006 when jobs were abundant and crime was lower. Please visit the city before deciding on moving here.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:29 PM

195 posts, read 725,896 times
Question Hunh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned about hurricanes here in Lakeland as this is generally the safest place in central Florida to be in a hurricane. You'll have flooding and wind damage from the storms but as long as you are not in a mobile home you should be safe.

You have my deepest sympathies for having to move to Lakeland. Hang in there things will get better. Please remember this is NOT 2005 and 2006 when jobs were abundant and crime was lower. Please visit the city before deciding on moving here.
Deepest sympathies? Lakeland is a beautiful town. I know people who live there and absolutely love it. Besides the OP did not mention what kind of job they were looking for, or if they were looking at all...why should you assume then that they would NOT find work?

So silly, really.

To JessMXPX88: Do yourself a favor and get FACTS, not people's opinions on stuff like this. There are a lot of disgruntled people on these boards who do a lot of bickering and complaining about Florida in general...and LOVE opportunites like your thread in which to vent. I agree with HeartofFlorida, FL is a peninsula...so Lakeland will be affected, but odds are it is safer than the coasts during a hurricane...but it really depends on the hurricane and the path it takes. The people I know that live in Florida and love it (and would never move back to NY/NJ/PA) don't allow the hurricanes or anything else to bother them. They take the necessary precaution and that's it.

When you really think about it, there's things in NY you take for granted that others would find very bothersome. It's all a matter of what you're used to.

Good luck to you and your family!

Btw, there is a member here, gypsychic...she's the one you want to talk to about Lakeland. She's very friendly and if you do a search you'll probably find some of her posts here about it.

Take care!

Old 08-06-2009, 11:25 PM

557 posts, read 1,185,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
Deepest sympathies? Lakeland is a beautiful town. I know people who live there and absolutely love it. Besides the OP did not mention what kind of job they were looking for, or if they were looking at all...why should you assume then that they would NOT find work?

So silly, really.

To JessMXPX88: Do yourself a favor and get FACTS, not people's opinions on stuff like this. There are a lot of disgruntled people on these boards who do a lot of bickering and complaining about Florida in general...and LOVE opportunites like your thread in which to vent. I agree with HeartofFlorida, FL is a peninsula...so Lakeland will be affected, but odds are it is safer than the coasts during a hurricane...but it really depends on the hurricane and the path it takes. The people I know that live in Florida and love it (and would never move back to NY/NJ/PA) don't allow the hurricanes or anything else to bother them. They take the necessary precaution and that's it.

When you really think about it, there's things in NY you take for granted that others would find very bothersome. It's all a matter of what you're used to.

Good luck to you and your family!

Btw, there is a member here, gypsychic...she's the one you want to talk to about Lakeland. She's very friendly and if you do a search you'll probably find some of her posts here about it.

Take care!
What is the point of your post? You live in New Jersey! I actually live here! I didn't even say anything bad about Lakeland in my post. Obviously no one moves here in this economy unless they have to as our unemployment rate is 11% and rising. Just because a friend of a friend of a friend or someone on a forum tells you X city is a perfect magical fairyland paradise doesn't mean that it is true. I find it amusing that a NON-RESIDENT attacks me for something they know nothing about. Keep the Mickey Mouse fairytales alive.

JessMxPx88- Luckily we here in Lakeland are safe from the dangerous and deadly storm surges but we still can get flooding and wind damage. Most of the 14 deaths here in Polk County during the 2004 season were caused by carbon monoxide poisoning from generators and falls from roofs. During hurricane season always be prepared with a hurricane kit. Also be aware that deadly tornadoes can happen when a hurricane is near.

Here's 2 links about the 2004 season when 3 major hurricanes passed through Polk County.

Lake Wales Five Years Later After Three Hurricanes Ripped Through The Community (http://www2.tbo.com/video/2009/jun/16/lake-wales-five-years-later-after-three--51158/video-news/ - broken link)

Polk County Takes a Place in History - Firehouse Forums - Firefighting Discussion (http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=72663 - broken link)

Here's some info on Polk County hurricane shelters in case it is needed (mobile homes, low lying areas, tree falls on your roof, etc) - Emergency Shelters
You can also pick up the free shelter maps from a local Publix.

Honestly hurricanes are the least of our worries here in Polk County. Best of luck.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,679 times
hello all
I am a Californian and wrote on another board on the forum, different people . I like to get many insights from people who live in Florida.
So I hear all this talk about Lakeland, some like it some dont.... 1) how about Westchase and Land O' Lakes? Are they close enough to the shore to be affected by hurricanes when hurricanes hit?
2) How about Zephyrhills?
is there any other nice town in the Tampa suburbia area that doesnt get hit to consider?
look forward to hearing from the Floridians

Oregano
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida