Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:23 AM

30 posts, read 74,725 times

Advertisements

I moved down here to Florida from Colorado, I always thought CO had some bad drivers, BUT OMG!! Florida is the worst. It seems like everyone is drunk and in a serious hurry. I know Florida is heavens waiting room but driving fast so you don't miss the sale at JCPENNY or the early bird special at IHOP is just going to kill you sooner people.
IS there a reason people here are drunk all the time? In Colorado you can only buy Achohal in a liquor store and you can not buy it at all on Sundays, I thought that was wierd but now I see it is a really good idea. When you make it readily available people seem to down it like water. I guess no one has that little thing called self control!!!
I really feel that drunk driving should be treated like attempted murder CAUSE THAT IS WHAT IT IS!!! If you drive drunk you might as well take a gun out and start randomly shooting people, it is the same thing.
Then on top of that Florida being a NO- Fault state ( isn't that the one where if someone hits you it is still your fault and you and your insurance has to pay for it?) IS THE DUMBEST thing for the way people here drive. My insurance went up over 200 dollars ( I only paid less then 100 bucks and that was every 6 mnths) I should not be punished for other peoples stupidity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 03:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeow View Post
I moved down here to Florida from Colorado, I always thought CO had some bad drivers, BUT OMG!! Florida is the worst. It seems like everyone is drunk and in a serious hurry. I know Florida is heavens waiting room but driving fast so you don't miss the sale at JCPENNY or the early bird special at IHOP is just going to kill you sooner people.
IS there a reason people here are drunk all the time? In Colorado you can only buy Achohal in a liquor store and you can not buy it at all on Sundays, I thought that was wierd but now I see it is a really good idea. When you make it readily available people seem to down it like water. I guess no one has that little thing called self control!!!
I really feel that drunk driving should be treated like attempted murder CAUSE THAT IS WHAT IT IS!!! If you drive drunk you might as well take a gun out and start randomly shooting people, it is the same thing.
Then on top of that Florida being a NO- Fault state ( isn't that the one where if someone hits you it is still your fault and you and your insurance has to pay for it?) IS THE DUMBEST thing for the way people here drive. My insurance went up over 200 dollars ( I only paid less then 100 bucks and that was every 6 mnths) I should not be punished for other peoples stupidity!

Amazing isnt' it? Have lived all over the country and have never seen anything like it. Mainly in CA which also has a lot of transplants so I don't buy the "out of state" drivers. It is the elderly and the poorly trained FL driver.

Keep in mind to many here drive with no car insurance and on suspended licenses. Never seen anything like it.

FL is the only state I know of that doesn't impound cars when people have no insurance and no valid DL.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:43 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times
You know, they should send these aggressive and moronic drivers a few states north up to NC where they can see what normal driving is like, or send them back to where they came from. Never seen so many idiots and aggressive Moderator cut: disguised profanity.

Last edited by fauve; 08-07-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 03:44 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Amazing isnt' it? Have lived all over the country and have never seen anything like it. Mainly in CA which also has a lot of transplants so I don't buy the "out of state" drivers. It is the elderly and the poorly trained FL driver.

Keep in mind to many here drive with no car insurance and on suspended licenses. Never seen anything like it.

FL is the only state I know of that doesn't impound cars when people have no insurance and no valid DL.

Where do you think the elderly are from? Hello!

And poorly trained drivers? Have you seen the states that are always atop the worst for drivers? NY, NJ, Mass., etc... where do they all move to????? FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-07-2009, 04:44 PM

729 posts, read 1,301,007 times
Talking How about this as a solution....

I posted this on another forum where the topic was about red-light runners and the use of cameras to issue tickets. I've tweaked it to fit this forum.

Place sensors along every interstate, major and minor arterial roads as well as all other secondary roads and intersections. These sensors will penalize careless drivers. How you ask? Located in every vehicle (legal vehicle) will be a transponder that communicates with the roadside sensors and reports such things as speed (relative to the posted speed limit) and red-light runners. Also located in the car will be a license reader and a toxicity reader. The license reader will check for a valid license (if there is one) in which the driver will have to insert a valid license in order to start the car. This system will then track your every move and automatically deduct points from your license (if applicable). The concept for the toxicity reader is the same as the driver inserts a finger (or something ) into a device to determine if a person is fit to drive. Too many violations while driving will cause you car to automatically decrease speed, activate harzard lights and shut down after a minute. If no other licensed driver is available in the vehicle, you're left with 3 options: Have your car towed to final destination, 2)Have someone that meets the criteria for getting the car started to drive the vehicle to the final destination, or 3) Have your transponder automatically notify the local authorities (for a service fee in addition to whatever fines caused you to lose your license) to have your car towed.

Older cars (2012 on back) have to be retrofited with the license readers/toxicity readers/transponders. All new vehicles sold in America should be mandated to have the equipment standard by 2013.

What do you think?

Last edited by HeartofFlorida; 08-07-2009 at 04:55 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 08:23 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
What about the 150 year old ones that run people off the road on your way to work??? In GIANT Cadillacs... Who cannot see a white pickup right next to you.... They need to be REMOVED from the road permanently.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Where do you think the elderly are from? Hello!

And poorly trained drivers? Have you seen the states that are always atop the worst for drivers? NY, NJ, Mass., etc... where do they all move to????? FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said elderly drivers in reference to retirees from other state, but the FL trained drivers are no better.

They don't even take a real road test to get a license here. I have seen so many young woman here who drive looking straight ahead.

They don't look in the rear view mirror, they don't to the left or right, just staring straight ahead. You pass and their heads are frozen, just looking straight ahead, clueless that you need to know what is going on behind you and to the side of you.

Usually in the left lane, unaware that car coming up behind them means you yield to the right.....they don't look in the mirror.

I have lived all over the country, they are the worst here. And the lax FL driving laws add to the problem.

FL is the only state I know of that lets them keep driving when they don't have car insurance.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:32 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
What about the 150 year old ones that run people off the road on your way to work??? In GIANT Cadillac's... Who cannot see a white pickup right next to you.... They need to be REMOVED from the road permanently.
That's why they all retire here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol so they can have different ways to die! and kill others along the way! we should call it the "dying state"!!! LOL

People over 70 should NOT drive.........period! reflexes are slowed etc, physically letting people drive passed that age is pure crime in itself!

Now the problem in Florida is that this beachy state doesn't have any decent public transportation what so ever and also it is too hot for the oldies to walk anywhere and given the distances to WALK anywhere are just ridiculous....well, that why they drive! and drive us crazy too!!!

Plus, you WOULD think that by such an advanced age they will know by now which one is the SLOW LANE!!!!

Old 08-08-2009, 05:40 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
That's why they all retire here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol so they can have different ways to die! and kill others along the way! we should call it the "dying state"!!! LOL

People over 70 should NOT drive.........period! reflexes are slowed etc, physically letting people drive passed that age is pure crime in itself!

Now the problem in Florida is that this beachy state doesn't have any decent public transportation what so ever and also it is too hot for the oldies to walk anywhere and given the distances to WALK anywhere are just ridiculous....well, that why they drive! and drive us crazy too!!!

Plus, you WOULD think that by such an advanced age they will know by now which one is the SLOW LANE!!!!

There needs to be a law where when you reach 70, every 2 years you have a MANDATORY driving test, and I mean on the road, not a questionaire.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:11 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
I think in the long run it may be cheaper to just create some efficient public transportation.

It is HARD to find really objective people who can tell these oldies that they need to stop driving....plus, if they fail the test with one person, They'll just retake it with someone more mellow and poof they are back on the roads!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida