Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:22 PM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Montreal. I agree, we had 4 distinct seasons that lasted 3 months each.

My main complaint about winter wasn't so much the cold itself, but just the grayness of it all. Gray skies, gray lawns, gray roads... It got depressing. And who wants to drive in snowstorms? (Not that the heavy downpours here are much better.)

Florida heat sucks for 6+ months, yes, but I'll take this over the ugly winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 02:15 PM

30 posts, read 45,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I don't know where ANYWHERE in the Northeast has SIX months of winter. Unless you consider 58 degrees on an October afternoon "winter." Seriously, the Northeast, from Maine to Maryland, has the classic 3 months for each season calendar climate. Florida on the other hand.... there you can say the heat lasts a LOOONG time.

Lets see, is this what y'all consider winter?

November, can snow sometimes, but otherwise, still 100% fall. I am pretty sure the day after Halloween is not full of snow anywhere in the NE on a normal year. Even Thanksgiving is not usually snowy in most of the area.

December, January, February, winter no doubt.

March, can snow sometimes, but still spring. Spring is a transitional seasonal anyway, each month is supposed to look different. I associate March/early spring as the time when snow is melting, the trees are still bare but it is getting warmer each week.

April can be chilly but is usually mild and has flowers and new leaves. How is that winter?

I don't think when people(I myself am guilty of it as well) refer to there being 5 or 6 months of winter, that they are only talking about snowfall. Yes if you want to get technical it probably averages out to about 3 months per season but it's the dreariness and the endless days of being inside, getting dark at 4:30 that wears on people.

Sure it may not be snowing much in October most years but the temperatures start dropping a good bit from a pretty hot and humid summer. Not only does it start getting colder but the sun starts to disappear and it rains which makes 48 feel like freezing. By the time winter actually arrives people are already sick of cloudy, brisk days. Then the first snow comes and it's kind of exciting(for about 10 minutes) and then for the next 3 solid months it's either snowing or the temps are in the teens...or both with the occasional week long subzero windchills. March and April are still very cool with teasing days in the 70s only for it to snow again the next day.

I think people just like to blame it all on winter because during fall they are dreading the winter to come and during spring they can't seem to get winter to go away.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:34 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
I never really minded fall. Winter didn't get old until after the second big storm. Cold? Sure but cold wasn't so bad on its own. It just gets old come February, March etc. Spring was always brutal because everything was dead and ugly for what felt like so long, you occasionally got that odd snow storm as well. Late winter and Spring were the worse times when I lived up north. Summer and fall were pretty awesome. Even early winter you have the novelty of snow and the holidays. Its after that where it becomes the pain.

Much like Florida. Early summer isn't so bad. Its August, September when the rains keep rolling in and its still 90+ with 90%+ humidity and the second you walk outside you're standing in ball soup. All the way through October and if you're lucky it will cool off. Then you have those years where its hot all the way into December.

Best of both worlds is the 6months here and 6 months up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida