Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 12:21 PM

123 posts, read 553,407 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
We are buying our first home in Mary Esther, FL, just outside of Ft. Walton Beach lines.

We've got a few insurance quotes and one is $1032.00 for Frontline, underwritten by Fidelity Fire & Casualty. 150k dwelling, $15k other structures, $75k personal prop., $30k loss of use, $300k personal liability.

Another that actually turns out to be the same company, but through a diff. agency for $1163 which includes a 4% inflation guard (what is that?! no others list this..) and $5k in water backup ins. incase we clog a toilet so bad it overflows and ruins out floors.. lol

The other is from Universal Property Ins. for close to $1400 with lesser coverage. $120k dwelling, $12k other structures, $60k personal prop., $24k loss of use and $300k personal liability.

There's an insurance agency that works next door so I stopped into see her on lunch and she's the one who gave me the Universal quote. At that point I didn't know what I was looking for, and this is apparently what she suggests.

When we get the appraisal back we will adjust accordingly if necessary.

My question is, is Frontline Homeowners Ins. a good company? I saw a rip-off report on them when I typed in Frontline Insurance in google.
I also saw a rip-off report for Universal, but I think it may have just been because of the underwriter.

The agent next door showed me some "Financial Stability" info from Demotech.com that showed Universal has higher assets/stability but I am not sure what that really means? I am sure both have stability or they would have crumbled during this recession!

I am brand new to all of this so I haven't a clue! It'd be nice to save a few hundred dollars if we can of course.. but I don't want to be stuck between a rock and a hard place if we have to make a claim. Especially in hurricane country.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 01:29 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicy724 View Post
Hello there,
We are buying our first home in Mary Esther, FL, just outside of Ft. Walton Beach lines.

We've got a few insurance quotes and one is $1032.00 for Frontline, underwritten by Fidelity Fire & Casualty. 150k dwelling, $15k other structures, $75k personal prop., $30k loss of use, $300k personal liability.

Another that actually turns out to be the same company, but through a diff. agency for $1163 which includes a 4% inflation guard (what is that?! no others list this..) and $5k in water backup ins. incase we clog a toilet so bad it overflows and ruins out floors.. lol

The other is from Universal Property Ins. for close to $1400 with lesser coverage. $120k dwelling, $12k other structures, $60k personal prop., $24k loss of use and $300k personal liability.

There's an insurance agency that works next door so I stopped into see her on lunch and she's the one who gave me the Universal quote. At that point I didn't know what I was looking for, and this is apparently what she suggests.

When we get the appraisal back we will adjust accordingly if necessary.

My question is, is Frontline Homeowners Ins. a good company? I saw a rip-off report on them when I typed in Frontline Insurance in google.
I also saw a rip-off report for Universal, but I think it may have just been because of the underwriter.

The agent next door showed me some "Financial Stability" info from Demotech.com that showed Universal has higher assets/stability but I am not sure what that really means? I am sure both have stability or they would have crumbled during this recession!

I am brand new to all of this so I haven't a clue! It'd be nice to save a few hundred dollars if we can of course.. but I don't want to be stuck between a rock and a hard place if we have to make a claim. Especially in hurricane country.....
Commnets.
1) Most insurance agents cannot recommend companies that don't have an AM Best rating of A- or better. Find the AM Best rating and pick a company that is A- or better rated. (Should be on their website)

2) Back-up insurance I believe can also cover things like heavy rain that fills the sewers so much that it pushes water back up into your house. Nasty clean-up there.

3) IF you don't know what a charge is (inflation guard) then ask the agent to explain, that's part of thier job.

4) I don't know what "rip off" reports are. If you want to link to one that would be good. The State DOI should carry information on complaints against insurers.

5) Ask your neighbors who they use, if they've had claims how easy it was to deal with them etc.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:59 PM

227 posts, read 856,308 times
Try SecurityFirstFlorida.com, check out their website and their reinsurance (amount of insurance the insurance companies have) and call their consumer services # to get a rate. Depending on the area they have pretty decent rates. I already switched mine.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:22 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
One thing to make sure of is that you're getting coverage that specifies damage will be repaired/rebuilt to the latest version of hurricane code. It can make a significant difference.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:41 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
I wouldn't put too much faith in a site like that. Basically, some guy ranting about a company and not even putting forth the facts of his case. I'd stick to the dept. of insurance website. Some people are just dumb and irrational and that link showed the guy to likely be both.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 14,224 times
No Frontline and First Protective Insurance companies are MAJOR BAD FAITH INSURERS. We are suing them right now and got a judgement against them and then they had the nerve to appeal the judges decision. Looks like they not only didn't agree with our policy, the courts or the binding appraisal they ordered upon us when they refused to pay and committed fraud during our claim. Stay as far away from these two insurers as you can get. Our attorney has over 5 lawsuits against these insurers right now!!! We are not the only ones they ripped off.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 13,947 times
If you want a quote from every carrier in florida, got to Alliance and Associates. These guys saved me a ton on my home insurance. They write statewide so they can give you all of the top rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: