Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:31 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,309 times

Advertisements

Besides that, in Daytona is where there is more crime in the area and minorities if that matters to you. Port Orange and Ormond Beach are much nicer, cleaner and safer. Plus the schools in Daytona aren't good and they are good in the other areas.

Someone mentioned Deland... I don't like it there. Higher crime, very diverse, not as good of schools and a lot farther from the beach (which is the main reason to live anywhere in Volusia County). I think people go to Deland if they can't afford Port Orange or Ormond Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 05:00 PM

275 posts, read 1,288,526 times
Are there plenty of rental homes in Port Orange? I havent seen many. Less than 1600/mo?

Old 04-25-2007, 06:27 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedaddy View Post
Are there plenty of rental homes in Port Orange? I havent seen many. Less than 1600/mo?
Yes, there are. Check out craigslist for some. The house directly across the street is for rent and it's a beautiful home and this is a great neighborhood! And I think it's around $1400/month. If you find a house you are interested in let me know what community it's in and I'll tell you if it's nice. Almost all are nice, but some are older, some more geared toward retirees, some toward families, etc.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:14 AM

279 posts, read 471,731 times
there is a local paper here called "pennysaver" that is all classified ads. I found most people advertise there. Go to floridapennysavers.com and check on daytona, you should find a hundred listings for rent.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 PM

9 posts, read 42,198 times
It's a great place to raise a young child. Lots of kids in the Port Orange area.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 AM

63 posts, read 255,485 times
"there is a local paper here called "pennysaver" that is all classified ads. I found most people advertise there. Go to floridapennysavers.com and check on daytona, you should find a hundred listings for rent."

What a great link, thanks so much for suggesting it!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 PM

501 posts, read 1,191,526 times
So is, Port Orange or Ormond Beach THAT much safer than Daytona Beach or Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach? We are trying to decide on a place to live since we're transferring within the next couple of weeks. Everytime we seem to find the "right place", I read about someplace different! Help, please!!! :-)

Old 09-23-2009, 11:39 PM

288 posts, read 542,903 times
hi. I wrote a long reply but i hit the wrong button and the system ate it.

Yes, port orange is very safe. Most of it was developed in the last 25 years which usually means higher rents and less riff raff. The police are very proactive and agressive with their patrols. Most of the local criminals avoid that area cause of the cops reputation.

port orange is more of a small town family type place, ormond is more of a tourist/retiree place which is on the beach.

The problem with daytona is that the central area has a lot of low rent places which attract transients from all over. There is a big crack problem which means lots of car breakins and scams. Occasionaly you get your robbery turned murder type stuff. But compared to atlanta or nashville where i lived, the crime here is not that bad.

On the beach side, this central low rent crackhead area is only a mile and most of the areas around it are nice places so it really depends on the street address you look at.
I would not rule out daytona beach, you just need to avoid the bad parts. I originally moved to port orange but it was so small and boring I moved to the beachside central area that people consider "unsafe". I don't feel unsafe at all even walking around at 3am. When people talk about crime, they are talking about crackheads and their scams and car breakins.

what are you looking for besides safety? what is your lifestyle? older stay at home type? young nightclub hoppin type? raising a family? looking for an apartment? looking to buy a house?

Old 09-24-2009, 12:28 AM

288 posts, read 542,903 times
here is the offical website and some pics
Landmark Residential - The Overlook at Daytona - Apartment rental community

that is the beach in the background top right

Old 09-24-2009, 04:42 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,509 times
Just watch the residential areas off Willow Run. When we lived there it was meth lab city. Nice big bust right down our cute little residential street, in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida