U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:03 AM

14,939 posts, read 10,208,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I guess I was thinking of volunteering more as handing out food at a homeless shelter.

I worked (volunteered) at the Daily Bread in Melbourne on their computer systems. Have you been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 06:50 AM

22,553 posts, read 47,237,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
Keep in mind also we have a lot of retired people, the body gets old and it's hard for them to be moving around.
Are you kidding? Ever seen the retirees making their way to the early bird special at Bob Evans?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,184,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Are you kidding? Ever seen the retirees making their way to the early bird special at Bob Evans?
no I'm not kidding. How old are you? Wait until you hit 65 and see what you think when every single joint in your body hurts. Some get lucky, others don't and it's mostly genetics, not life choices.

I don't understand why people have to be so judgmental.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
no I'm not kidding. How old are you? Wait until you hit 65 and see what you think when every single joint in your body hurts. Some get lucky, others don't and it's mostly genetics, not life choices.

I don't understand why people have to be so judgmental.
Lordy. It's a joke. You don't find that even a little bit funny?

I'm 47 and walk around with a bag full of pills. Don't even ask.

I went for an echo-cardiogram, last week. A volunteer brought me for my lab. She is 75 and in better shape than me. Of course this is in Knoxville where retirees are less self-centered.

But the majority of snowbirds are in very good shape. I use to wait on them at a pharmacy.

Check them out at the golf course. And don't get in their way at the local Walmart, grocery story or early-bird buffet. Really.

Anyone that can keep up with two homes, travelling back and forth, can volunteer and often has more time to do it than the people working several part-time jobs to stay afloat in Florida.

But like I said, don't get in that retirees way.

And once they start to get very sick and old, they move back to their original home where they actually cared about their neighbors, or at least that's what they like to tell us.

You know. You've all heard it before. "In Michigan, we did it better."

Or, "We have a real work ethic up in Wisconsin. That's why the unemployment rate is so high in Florida. You people don't want to work."

That last one was stated by a snowbird on the Fort Myers forum, a few months ago.

That's the attitude and that's why volunteers are so low in Florida.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:55 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,184,135 times
I understand, I guess like someone said, they don't consider this place home, which is fine I guess as long as they don't bash this place, if it's too bad for them, they shouldn't come here in the first place. How dare they?

I was thinking more about those that live here all year round, Miami and Orlando in particular don't have as many snowbirds as other cities in Florida. We just have a very crappy economy based all in Mickey and South Beach.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:12 AM

976 posts, read 838,926 times
A lot of people in all 50 states work odd hours and have 2 jobs, etc... it doesnt change the fact that FL ranked 49th out of 50, and Miami and Orlando metros were both in the bottom 3 0r 4 out of 51 metro areas... what about all the other states and metros where people work two jobs, have odd hours?

Old 08-11-2009, 08:17 AM

976 posts, read 838,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Lordy. It's a joke. You don't find that even a little bit funny?

I'm 47 and walk around with a bag full of pills. Don't even ask.

I went for an echo-cardiogram, last week. A volunteer brought me for my lab. She is 75 and in better shape than me. Of course this is in Knoxville where retirees are less self-centered.

But the majority of snowbirds are in very good shape. I use to wait on them at a pharmacy.

Check them out at the golf course. And don't get in their way at the local Walmart, grocery story or early-bird buffet. Really.

Anyone that can keep up with two homes, travelling back and forth, can volunteer and often has more time to do it than the people working several part-time jobs to stay afloat in Florida.

But like I said, don't get in that retirees way.

And once they start to get very sick and old, they move back to their original home where they actually cared about their neighbors, or at least that's what they like to tell us.

You know. You've all heard it before. "In Michigan, we did it better."

Or, "We have a real work ethic up in Wisconsin. That's why the unemployment rate is so high in Florida. You people don't want to work."

That last one was stated by a snowbird on the Fort Myers forum, a few months ago.

That's the attitude and that's why volunteers are so low in Florida.

Hiknapster, speaking of older folks and being bitter and aggressive, I was at publix, and a guy with a real strong NY accent was TICKED that he couldnt use his $.25 coupon that had EXPIRED. He was going on and on and on about 25 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost wanted to throw the quarter at the guy, tell him to stop complaining about 25 cents and go home!!!!!!! That's why so many natives are leaving - people like him!!!!!!!!!!!! And then multiply him times 5 0r 6 million and you got FL!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Hiknapster, speaking of older folks and being bitter and aggressive, I was at publix, and a guy with a real strong NY accent was TICKED that he couldnt use his $.25 coupon that had EXPIRED. He was going on and on and on about 25 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost wanted to throw the quarter at the guy, tell him to stop complaining about 25 cents and go home!!!!!!! That's why so many natives are leaving - people like him!!!!!!!!!!!! And then multiply him times 5 0r 6 million and you got FL!!!!!!!!!!!
I waited on a guy at Publix once that gave a whole stack of coupons. Not one of them matched the stuff he bought. He pitched a holy fit because I wouldn't accept them. He kept screaming, "You don't know who I am!"

Are you sure he was a New Yorker? Southerners have a hard time with accents, I think. I'm told that I sound like I'm from Michigan or New York all the time. Both accents don't even remotely resemble each other and I am not from either place.

I just think you see New Yorkers at every turn. When I lived in Orlando I never met one New Yorker. All my neighbors were Southern.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:37 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,794,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
I worked (volunteered) at the Daily Bread in Melbourne on their computer systems. Have you been there?
hi goldens, no I've actually never been to Melbourne. Was it a good experience volunteering there?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:05 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,740,567 times
i dont put to much stock in studies i read about. actually if last place was in any town ive ever lived in, i wouldnt be surprised. the whats in it for meh attitude is just as alive in one part of the country as in another. many pple that do self-less acts of kindness in a community prefer not to join and officially be a volunteer somewhere. these pple are not counted in these types of studies, but thank heaven they are on this earth.

id be more interested to hear about pples experiences around the country. do neighbors help each other out anymore, will strangers still offer help in a crisis, or are pple just so involved in their own little world they hardly notice, except for an insincere..thats to bad. i think thats a truer indication of just how selfish any given location maybe. based on my own experiences, pple wont go out their way much unless they are getting compensated in some way. when i lost power due to an ice storm, no one in this rural hell hole i live in came near to ask if i was ok or lend a hand, and im a long ways from florida. good luck to us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or