Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2007, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 44,491 times

Advertisements

Can anyone shed some light on moving with kids.. We are moving from Upstate NY to Panama City. We know the area a little but would like some help on different areas that are better to be with kids, school systems, etc. We are country people and really dont want to be in the "city". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 10:48 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,430,479 times
Anyone from the panhandle know anything about this area?

Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,912 times
Smile Panama City

My husband grew up in PC and LOVED it. He is one of four children and his parents owned a couple resturants as well as a few other small businesses. He said the schools were good schools and he was able to experience that "small town" feeling. I also have an uncle that lives there and there are no complaints from him either. As you may already know, PC can be pretty crowded during spring break and during the summers. You also have to factor in hurricane season. With that aside, its a pretty decent place.
I grew up in Sopchoppy, FL and Tallahassee, FL. Don't waste your time looking up Sochoppy; it's one of those towns where everyone is related and knows your business before you do . Tallahassee is pretty decent. There are two major universities (Florida State and Florida A&M) there and a huge community college (Tallahassee Community College). There public school system is good and they also have some private schools to offer.
We currently live in Albuquerque, NM and I would love to move back closer to "home." I will get more information from my husband about PC.
Have you already looked into the schools and crime rates... things of that nature. I will gather up some info for you. I hope this helps and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:41 PM

9 posts, read 75,511 times
Yes, my wife and I have been here going on 8 years now.

Panama City is on the mainland, it is not nearly as crowded as Panama City Beach. Panama City Beach is across the bay and is the huge tourist trap with lots of condos.

If you are country folk, then you should look North of Panama City itself and buy some land. My wife and I have lived in Fountain (30 minute drive on Hwy 231 to P.C.) for 5 years now and it is very quiet out here. Our nextdoor neighbors have a small pasture on 10 acres with horses that come and go. We live in a doublewide mobile home on 5 acres and it is definitely much less stress than when we lived in Panama City itself. We're putting ours up for sale now, my wife got a great job offer in MS. I don't think we will buy out in the country next time around, I think we may be cityfolk at heart. We love the peace and quiet of the country life, and the fact that you can do anything you want on your own 5 acres, but we really miss being 10 minutes away from a nice restaurant or being able to quickly swing by the electronics store if we need to pick something up. That being said, there is something special about waking up to a small group of deer in your backyard, or being able to target practice while something is cooking in the smoker. Two different worlds, that's for sure.

Last edited by gottaget; 05-08-2007 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida