Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,072 times

Advertisements

We are planning our first vacation to the Gulf (FL or AL).
Just when we thought we had everything planned out, we received friends suggestions for "family friendly" Destin, FL. We decided to give it a shot and at least consider it.

As I said, we have two little ones under 3. SO, our vacation would be mostly: couple hours at the beach in the morning, naptime at noon, visiting around, and back to the beach late afternoon-evening sunset. Pretty boring otherwise, but there's nothing much we can do with the kids at this age. They are just eager to "pickup up seashells in September" -that's what my oldest toddler is looking forward to these days.

We are therefore looking for:

-quiet beach (well, schools are in session in Sept., potentially all beaches are quiet), not very secluded (like miles away from the nearest condo)

-accomodations close to the beach, whether walking distance or short couple miles drive (not very fond of a 30min drive with cranky kids)

-family friendly - in a way that we might encounter other children on the beach to play with, or that we can take the kids for a stroller ride (sidewalks), we are not necessarily looking for family-friendly fun: water park, roller coaster, bumper rides. We are willing to make a half day trip (or rainy day) to an aquarium, animal park and some other outdoorsy attraction where we can stroll into.

-lodging has to be as cheap and safe as possible, not some seedy motel-type though, nor a $250 night luxury hotel.

We are driving from TN on I65 (6hrs), we prefer some destination in the panhandle not too far away from the highway -Gulf Shores to PCB (PCB would be as far as we would drive)

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 12:22 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.abc View Post
We are planning our first vacation to the Gulf (FL or AL).
Just when we thought we had everything planned out, we received friends suggestions for "family friendly" Destin, FL. We decided to give it a shot and at least consider it.

As I said, we have two little ones under 3. SO, our vacation would be mostly: couple hours at the beach in the morning, naptime at noon, visiting around, and back to the beach late afternoon-evening sunset. Pretty boring otherwise, but there's nothing much we can do with the kids at this age. They are just eager to "pickup up seashells in September" -that's what my oldest toddler is looking forward to these days.

We are therefore looking for:

-quiet beach (well, schools are in session in Sept., potentially all beaches are quiet), not very secluded (like miles away from the nearest condo)

-accomodations close to the beach, whether walking distance or short couple miles drive (not very fond of a 30min drive with cranky kids)

-family friendly - in a way that we might encounter other children on the beach to play with, or that we can take the kids for a stroller ride (sidewalks), we are not necessarily looking for family-friendly fun: water park, roller coaster, bumper rides. We are willing to make a half day trip (or rainy day) to an aquarium, animal park and some other outdoorsy attraction where we can stroll into.

-lodging has to be as cheap and safe as possible, not some seedy motel-type though, nor a $250 night luxury hotel.

We are driving from TN on I65 (6hrs), we prefer some destination in the panhandle not too far away from the highway -Gulf Shores to PCB (PCB would be as far as we would drive)

Any suggestions? Thanks.
www.emeraldcoastguide.com for motels galore. Things to do with your kids : Beach-hoppin' down the Destin coastline, watch the ParaSailers and Kite Surfers do their thing at Destin and on The Bay side by Okaloosa Island. , lots of WaterParks on Route 98 , The Gulfarium for outdoor Flipper Show and indoor aquariums, walk along Destin Harbor especially at 6 pm when the Fishermen return with thier catches --- a Guy brought back a 742 lb. Blue Marlin a couple months ago ., live music on the BoardWalk in Destin usually on Saturday nights and at Destin Commons Shopping Plaza , and Glass Bottom Boat Ride from Destin Harbor for a guided tour and see exotic fish below -- your kids will freak out over that. Alot of Tourists have left to go back home around Destin so it wont be bumper to bumper . Navarre Beach has live music on the beach every Thursday at 6 pm. The whole area is very family friendly with lots to explore. Enjoy.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:35 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
With small kids I would suggest you check out Pensacola Beach. You can get a nice condo for about $150 a night and that would be so much better with small kids. Keep in mind that you can set up your chairs, umbrellas, etc. on the beach and then just leave them there while you take the kids back up to the unit for their naps, etc. It's so much more comfortable than a hotel. Also, if you aren't looking for a ton of tourist activities, then forget Destin. You'll just be paying more for a much more crowded area.

Check vrbo.com for condo rentals. Here is one we have stayed in many times: Pensacola Beach, Florida vacation rental by owner: 2 bedroom Condominium rental that sleeps 4. Peaceful Gulf Front Condo (http://www.vrbo.com/192321 - broken link)

As for seashells, the only reason you will find any at all is because of beach renourishment. Otherwise, Panhandle beaches are not known for shells. Recent pumping of sand from offshore to rebuild the beaches has brought in some shells.

I can't stress enough that you need to stay on the beach itself. I can't imagine a beach vacation with small kids where I actually had to put them and all the beach equipment in a car to drive to the beach. No fun at all!!

Old 08-13-2009, 04:52 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Sandestin. Check it out there are a number of housing options, there is a little village in shuttle distance, tennis, minigolf, publix nearby, great beach, tons of restaurants. Its a perfect family vacation. You never have to leave the resort and you will not be bored or looking for something to occupy the little ones, or the big ones. My suggestion is to rent from them directly instead of an owner - you get more perks and someone to complain to if a problem arises (it never has).

Old 08-13-2009, 05:27 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I agree about checking out Sandestin. They're kind of expensive during the season, but can run some good specials in the off season, and they've got a couple of fun kids' play areas to explore.

Sandestin Resort: The Ultimate Golf and Beach Resort in Sunny Destin, Florida

There aren't a ton of seashells on much of the beach because of an offshore sand bar. But you can take a day trip to Shell Island in Panama City for the good stuff.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Sandestin is nice, but its a bit pricey. I'd stay away from Pcola beach, its a little younger partying crowd. Destin has some of that, but seems a bit more family friendly to me.

There is also Baytown Wharf in Walton CO right next to Destin, and actually part of San Destin. My 5 year old loves going there, its like a small town, with lots of cool shops, zip lining, and a rope course for the kids. Don't forget to take a dolphin tour with the kids, they'll love that! Also, the beaches right next to Pompano's are really nice for kids. The sandbar isn't very far out, and I think even 3 year olds can walk around on it fairly safely.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:00 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
I believe Baytown Wharf is part of Sandestin. Check out the site there are a variety of accomodations beachside or bayside, hotel rooms, condos, townhouses, villas and single family homes. There are many price points - particularly if you stay bayside.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:09 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Go to the Destin, Sandestin, Fort Walton Beach areas for your vacation ; youve saved up money for your vacation and you want alot of variety in things to do with your family . The idea is to have your young kids enjoy it PLUS yourselves as Parents. Youll have more memory pictures to put in your photo album .

Old 08-17-2009, 12:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,715 times
Florida is best place for beach vacation. Waterfront condos, waterfront beaches in South Tampa, FL is really beautiful place for vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida