Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:13 PM

20 posts, read 54,295 times

Advertisements

Hey demic, i was wondering too if you already moved to PC this past Feb. how is it? im from tx trying to relocate to PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,620 times
The only thing I can think of for the reason for any sort of negative comments on PC, is a defense mechanism. PC is so wonderful that maybe the locals want to keep it more a secret...? We just moved here in June, and we love it here. We have a 6 and a 10 year old. The only complaint I have is that the school they are zoned for is about 20 minutes away. There is another elementary school that is only 2 miles away with the same zip code. Yet, we have to go to the one in Flagler Beach! I think they both are comparable schools. I would just like to be closer to the school. When we bought our house, we were told that Belle Terre Elementary (the school that is 2 miles away) was the school we were zoned for. Oh well...C'est la vie!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 AM

513 posts, read 961,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong View Post
My husband and I have decided to relocate our family out of NJ and after hearing nothing but good things about Palm Coast, we headed down there to take a look-see for ourselves. 6 days and 2500 miles later (yes, 2500 miles), we LOVED it and decided PC was a nice place to raise our family and plan to move there this summer. Now, after reading all the threads about Palm Coast, it has made me wonder whether I was driving around with a blindfold around my eyes the whole time or maybe I'm just insane. Living in northern NJ, PC is a different world to one extent yet a bit like taking a piece of "home" with you. First, most of the PC residents we met are from the NY/NJ/CT/MA area but WITHOUT the NY/NJ/CT/MA attitudes. Whether we were at the Winn Dixie, CVS or Dunkin Donuts, the people were extremely friendly, including the neighbors standing in front of their homes as we drove by, waving and asking if they can in any way help us. Second, the town was extremely clean and well maintained, as there wasn't any paper cups being flung out a car window, nor were the streets dug up and re-paved to the extent that you feel like you're riding down a roller coaster with your vehicle. Third, as we have 2 children ages 11 and 5, we drove by the public schools as well as followed some of the school buses as they dropped off the children. Immediately, we noticed the children were properly led out of school and into the buses, and they were dressed appropriately for school, meaning no pants half way down their bottoms with boxers hanging out for the world to see. I'm not saying that this "style" is not appropriate in any way, but I believe there is a time and place for it. There should be some level of respect towards these teachers, and I personally believe that this fashion style shows no respect at all, jmo. Also, as I mentioned we drove 2500 miles, we drove up and down, left and right, through all possible sections (R, W, P, U, B, F, C, L). Yes there were plenty of empty homes, but it seemed to me to be "over-built" and houses were sitting empty because of this surplus. What we also noticed was each section tendered to different age groups, i.e. R and B had plenty of children while not many were noticed in the F section. And yes, during the hours that schools let out, Belle Terre Parkway did become backed-up a bit. However, until you experience traveling 8 miles in 1 hour and 40 miles on any given day (yes, that is true), or getting stuck on the Cross Bronx Expressway on a Friday afternoon, I'll take the BTP back up any time. Yes there is limited shopping, however PC is located right in the middle of St. Augustine and Daytona Beach. Is it so hard to travel 20 minutes to get to a mall? A lot of people are already complaining about the "traffic" as it is now, could you image if there was a huge mall in PC?? What would people have to say about the traffic then?? I've also read about no "night-life". Based on what we saw, I would say that is a correct statement about PC. But again, you are not far from it. I would think that it just depends on what you want. I believe that most people from the NE region want to get away from all of these points listed above, and I believed Palm Coast was just that place. Please let me know what I am missing because I just don't understand all these negative threads.

P.S. About the "gang" shooting, isn't that the 2 boys from Orlando who stole a vehicle in Bunnell, and were caught by authorities in PC after the boys pulled a gun on authorities??? Or was this another "gang" incident?
Paragraphs are your friend.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM

227 posts, read 856,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendi View Post
The only thing I can think of for the reason for any sort of negative comments on PC, is a defense mechanism. PC is so wonderful that maybe the locals want to keep it more a secret...? We just moved here in June, and we love it here. We have a 6 and a 10 year old. The only complaint I have is that the school they are zoned for is about 20 minutes away. There is another elementary school that is only 2 miles away with the same zip code. Yet, we have to go to the one in Flagler Beach! I think they both are comparable schools. I would just like to be closer to the school. When we bought our house, we were told that Belle Terre Elementary (the school that is 2 miles away) was the school we were zoned for. Oh well...C'est la vie!

We used to have school choice so your kids could switch schools. Not sure if still available but you could check it out.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,985,263 times
The 15 Best Housing Markets For The Next Five Years - Business Insider

Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,620 times
Hi Blueridgerider. Thank you for your advice. I did try to do what you suggested. However, the application was denied; because of the high number of siblings entering the school, as they have first priority. Turns out that I am satisfied with how things are going since school actually started. The bus comes less than a mile from our front door. It's just that their total bus ride going and coming, is an hour a day. Thanks again!

Old 05-25-2013, 10:40 PM

14 posts, read 69,009 times
Default New Yorkers

Palm Coast is great for it's beautiful parks, clean and organized roadways, great schools, convenience to stores and I-95. Only problem is you have to live amongst New Yorkers whom bring their rude attitudes.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:47 PM

14 posts, read 69,009 times
Default Palm Coast = NY

I have lived in Palm Coast since 2000 moving here from St Augustine just 20 minutes North. A couple of issues/problems I have with Palm Coast....1. the people....95% New Yorkers so get used to rude, loud obnoxious yankee accents ughhhhhh!!!! 2. We live 45 minutes from Jacksonville yet we get Orlando news???? Why would I want Orlando news??? Its over an hour away and if I wanted Orlando news I would have moved to Orlando. I hate Orlando!!! 3. No jobs...plan long drives to Jax or Orl for real money. Either that or work at Wally World for $7.50/hr 4. 43 RED LIGHT CAMERAS!!!!! Enough said 5. Oh yea did I mention the people?? ******* New Yorkers galore. Now it's not all that bad..here are some positives 1. Cheap housing...about 1/2 the price as compared to St Augustine 2. Better construction...all concrete block homes....can't say that in St Aug or Jax 3. Less of a redneck population than st aug or Jax 4. Nice neighborhoods and parks everywhere..much better infistructucture than st aug. 5. Close to the beach and still affordable. 6. Better shopping and restaurant selection than St Aug Well there you have it. Unfortunately all of the positives of Palm Coast are wiped out by the number of *******s that live there so I will move in the near future.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:31 AM

13 posts, read 20,187 times
Palm Coast is pretty and well manicured. Many of the suburbs have relatively strict code regulations--a good thing, but also somewhat inconvenient for others. For example, you must pull the garbage can in off the road and put it out of sight immediately--which is nice to keep the town looking great, but if someone leaves for work early in the morning (say, to commute to Jacksonville), than that person may get tagged.

If you own a vehicle that has an advertisement on it, it must be in the garage. You can't have a tire on the grass.

Not all suburbs have picky neighbors who call code enforcement, but there are some people who have had those concerns.

Personally, I don't like the suburban sprawl and city planning of Palm Coast. There are pockets of shopping and commerce, but there are no communities where the majority of residents can walk to a library or park or civic center. Palm Coast is geographically large, and some of the residents are paying taxes for parks and centers and (the one library) that are a good 15 minute drive from their home.

I also think the road planning is a little awkward. As the city develops, I imagine that some of the intersections and one-way roads will become more cumbersome.

There have been some weird development experiments (European Village) that weren't well thought out.

Palm Coast is quiet and is really relatively safe. If you have the means to drive your kids all over town, or don't have kids, it might seem a little like paradise. I find that there are quite a few Palm Coasters who LOVE it there.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 887 times
I live there after living in Ormond Beach. Love the small town feel of PC, hate that neighborhoods can have one house that is beautiful next to one with 10 cars parked in front of it. Daytona Beach is horrible- had a car stolen within 6 months of moving from NY and the guy got no punishment for totaling the car. Florida, in general, has a high crime rate per capita so be prepared for that. PC has tons of trails, parks, is close to o e of the best beaches ( Matanzas inlet) and is close to adorable St. Augustine. Glad I left Ormond ( too close to Daytona and has a billion saloons) and moved to PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida