Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:35 PM

13 posts, read 44,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Actually the original post said, "I am very very concerned that Blacks are not welcome." I thought that the percentage of A.A. and Wh were most important to her because of this. I also only used the world diverse once and that was to say that I realized PCB was nowhere near as diverse as L.A. or N.Y..

I had been talking about PCB this whole time not PC. I thought you would pick up on that when i refered to poulation.

Place....................... State .....2000 .........2008 ........Change
Panama City.............. Florida... 36,953 .....36,644 ....-0.8% Details
Panama City Beach...... Florida ...7,737...... 14,642 .....89.2% Details
Well. the title of the post says "non-whites". To me that includes all ethnic groups who are not white.

Your response could be true if you are just considering African Americans. But your response quoted my comments about diversity of panama city and not the original post.

For any person reading this thread, I want to emphasize that Panama city does not offer much in terms of racial diversity unless you define diversity in terms of just two ethnic groups. I want to help people (not just the person who posted the question) to make a more informed decision about the title of this thread "Panama city and non-whites".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 04:36 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north_is_best View Post
Well. the title of the post says "non-whites". To me that includes all ethnic groups who are not white.

Your response could be true if you are just considering African Americans. But your response quoted my comments about diversity of panama city and not the original post.

For any person reading this thread, I want to emphasize that Panama city does not offer much in terms of racial diversity unless you define diversity in terms of just two ethnic groups. I want to help people (not just the person who posted the question) to make a more informed decision about the title of this thread "Panama city and non-whites".
Is non-diverse a bad thing or something? Why does it matter what the % of whites vs others are? Just curious.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:40 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,756,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Is non-diverse a bad thing or something? Why does it matter what the % of whites vs others are? Just curious.

Trusses,
Read the OP's question in regards to non-whites in the area.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:30 PM

13 posts, read 44,616 times
Quote:
Well. Diversity is a good thing. I do not know about non-diverse...

Yes. It does matter what the racial diversity of a city is.. Read previous posts to see why it is important.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:54 PM

Orlando, for example, is pretty diverse. But in no way do I see people act any different than they did in Asheville. In fact, I think things like sense of community, racial tension, etc are higher in Orlando, and far, far less assimilation in Orlando, which is so-called diverse.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:32 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,756,270 times
Seems the OP left the thread up to you active members to ague this out among yourselves?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
Seems the OP left the thread up to you active members to ague this out among yourselves?
Seems more like the OP just...left! lol

Old 09-10-2009, 09:45 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
I think anytime you have an older community, it's the age of the community that creates harmony. Asheville is a much older city than Orlando. I think diversity, or lack thereof, is not as important a factor, although if that is something you desire, then it's important to you. An established community is what offers that neighborly feel. If you are African American, and you enter an established diverse community in Atlanta say, you might find it easier than entering a new community in the same area, although the population may offer the same diversity.

Older areas that have many transients or rapidly increasing populations will begin to suffer the same problems no matter where in the country they are, or what their racial make-up is. It's lot easier for a juvenile to break into his neighbor's unlocked car for the laptop if he has no relationship with the neighbor. It's a lot easier to give the finger to the guy in the car next to you precisely because you have no relationship history.

Just like it's a lot easier to be racist online hiding behind a screen, when you would never dream of being racist to anyone face to face.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 AM

I'm not racist. I call things as I see it. If a person (no matter what the color) is nice and friendly, I have no reason to do the same back to them, in fact, I am almost always the initiator. But if you're always angry, aggressive, and feel a sense of entitlement, than I dont respect that. If you lived in my neighborhood and saw the same crimes occurring over and over again, by the same people, it would begin to wear on you - no matter what color they happened to be.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:25 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Quote:
I'm not racist. I call things as I see it. If a person (no matter what the color) is nice and friendly, I have no reason to do the same back to them, in fact, I am almost always the initiator. But if you're always angry, aggressive, and feel a sense of entitlement, than I dont respect that. If you lived in my neighborhood and saw the same crimes occurring over and over again, by the same people, it would begin to wear on you - no matter what color they happened to be.
Whoa, trussse...that comment was not directed at you per se. I was making the point that the less of a connection to people you have the easier it is to be rude. It's lack of connection that breeds lack of community/rudeness/ignorance/racism. And, so it's easier to say something hateful online without considering how what you may say might affect another anonymous person somewhere who is reading it.

Last edited by fauve; 09-11-2009 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida