U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,496,861 times

Advertisements

What I don't understand (maybe someone can point it out to me ?) is, "Good Conservatives" are all about God, Family, and Country. They fight to protect the constitution and laws but when it comes to prayer in school or public officials using prayer in a public spotlight and people complain about it, All the sudden they are considered whackos or atheists or whinny liberals or whatever.

Why ?

"Practical distinction between Religion and Civil Government is essential to the purity of both, and as guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States." - James Madison

Public Schools are run by the state and local governments, Court Houses, Government Buildings, State Capitols, ect, ect are Government buildings/institutions. There is a seperation of Church and State, reguardless of if I think there should be prayer in these places (which I don't think would be a bad idea, esp. if they had prayers for all faiths and religions so that everyone, not just Christians are involved. )

Anyone ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 04:54 AM

22,553 posts, read 47,262,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
What I don't understand (maybe someone can point it out to me ?) is, "Good Conservatives" are all about God, Family, and Country. They fight to protect the constitution and laws but when it comes to prayer in school or public officials using prayer in a public spotlight and people complain about it, All the sudden they are considered whackos or atheists or whinny liberals or whatever.

Why ?

"Practical distinction between Religion and Civil Government is essential to the purity of both, and as guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States." - James Madison

Public Schools are run by the state and local governments, Court Houses, Government Buildings, State Capitols, ect, ect are Government buildings/institutions. There is a seperation of Church and State, reguardless of if I think there should be prayer in these places (which I don't think would be a bad idea, esp. if they had prayers for all faiths and religions so that everyone, not just Christians are involved. )

Anyone ?
It's intentional. Poor education and religious fanatacism keeps the masses from questioning. Then the politicians like Crist run on the "God" platfom. It's a vicious cycle. Even exposing C Street has changed nothing.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:01 AM

2,473 posts, read 4,833,830 times
I got this email this morning & had to pass it on....unfortunately, it's all too true....

I dreamt that I went to Heaven and an angel was showing me around. We walked side-by-side inside a large workroom filled with angels. My angel guide stopped in front of the first section and said, ' This is the Receiving Section. Here, all petitions to God said in prayer are received. '

I looked around in this area, and it was terribly busy with so many angels sorting out petitions written on voluminous paper sheets and scraps from people all over the world.

Then we moved on down a long corridor until we reached the second section.

The angel then said to me, "This is the Packaging and Delivery Section. Here, the graces and blessings the people asked for are processed and delivered to the living persons who asked for them." I noticed again how busy it was there. There were many angels working hard at that station, since so many blessings had been requested and were being packaged for delivery to Earth.

Finally, at the farthest end of the long corridor we stopped at the door of a very small station. To my great surprise, only one angel was seated there, idly doing nothing. "This is the Acknowledgment Section", my angel friend quietly admitted to me. He seemed embarrassed. 'How is it that there is no work going on here? ' I asked.

"So sad," the angel sighed. "After people receive the blessings that they asked for, very few send back acknowledgments"

"How does one acknowledge God's blessings? " I asked..

"Simple," the angel answered. Just say, "Thank you, Lord."

"What blessings should they acknowledge?" I asked.

"If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep you are richer than 75% of this world. If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish, you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy. "

"And if you get this on your own computer, you are part of the 1% in the world who has that opportunity."

"If you woke up this morning with more health than illness .. You are more blessed than the many who will not even survive this day. "

"If you have never experienced the fear in battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation ... You are ahead of 700 million people in the world."

"If you can attend a church without the fear of harassment, arrest, torture or death you are envied by, and more blessed than, three billion people in the world."

"If your parents are still alive and still married ..you are very rare."

"If you can hold your head up and smile, you are not the norm, you're unique to all those in doubt and despair......."

If you can read this message, you just received a double blessing in that someone was thinking of you as very special and you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world who cannot read at all.

Have a good day, count your blessings, and if you care to, remind everyone else how blessed we all are!!

ATTN: Acknowledge Dept.
"Thank you Lord, for giving me the ability to share this message and for giving me so many wonderful people with whom to share it. "

Signed,
JG

Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 AM

448 posts, read 1,306,774 times
Great post JG I believe its not up to us to judge the Gov. He is what he is. I'm not a supporter of him. But if he said a prayer its not up to us to judge what his intent "truly" is. He'll have to answer for it in the end.

Wow, bet old Chuck didn't think his prayer would spark such opinions I think we should pray that he doesn't become our next pres We are only 8 months into the one we have, and I have had enough!

Okay, off my soapbox

Old 08-23-2009, 08:34 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,158,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
I got this email this morning & had to pass it on....unfortunately, it's all too true....

I dreamt that I went to Heaven and an angel was showing me around. We walked side-by-side inside a large workroom filled with angels. My angel guide stopped in front of the first section and said, ' This is the Receiving Section. Here, all petitions to God said in prayer are received. '

I looked around in this area, and it was terribly busy with so many angels sorting out petitions written on voluminous paper sheets and scraps from people all over the world.

Then we moved on down a long corridor until we reached the second section.

The angel then said to me, "This is the Packaging and Delivery Section. Here, the graces and blessings the people asked for are processed and delivered to the living persons who asked for them." I noticed again how busy it was there. There were many angels working hard at that station, since so many blessings had been requested and were being packaged for delivery to Earth.

Finally, at the farthest end of the long corridor we stopped at the door of a very small station. To my great surprise, only one angel was seated there, idly doing nothing. "This is the Acknowledgment Section", my angel friend quietly admitted to me. He seemed embarrassed. 'How is it that there is no work going on here? ' I asked.

"So sad," the angel sighed. "After people receive the blessings that they asked for, very few send back acknowledgments"

"How does one acknowledge God's blessings? " I asked..

"Simple," the angel answered. Just say, "Thank you, Lord."

"What blessings should they acknowledge?" I asked.

"If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep you are richer than 75% of this world. If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish, you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy. "

"And if you get this on your own computer, you are part of the 1% in the world who has that opportunity."

"If you woke up this morning with more health than illness .. You are more blessed than the many who will not even survive this day. "

"If you have never experienced the fear in battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation ... You are ahead of 700 million people in the world."

"If you can attend a church without the fear of harassment, arrest, torture or death you are envied by, and more blessed than, three billion people in the world."

"If your parents are still alive and still married ..you are very rare."

"If you can hold your head up and smile, you are not the norm, you're unique to all those in doubt and despair......."

If you can read this message, you just received a double blessing in that someone was thinking of you as very special and you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world who cannot read at all.

Have a good day, count your blessings, and if you care to, remind everyone else how blessed we all are!!

ATTN: Acknowledge Dept.
"Thank you Lord, for giving me the ability to share this message and for giving me so many wonderful people with whom to share it. "

Signed,
JG
And if someone has none of those things is there a complaint department to go to? Like "Hay God, why am I getting screwed over, I haven't done anything wrong"?
Please, give me a break. We have a population who are so scared of their own shadows they resort into believing in invisible people. As well as those religious phonies who will exploit those fears.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:57 AM

2,473 posts, read 4,833,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
And if someone has none of those things is there a complaint department to go to? Like "Hay God, why am I getting screwed over, I haven't done anything wrong"?
Please, give me a break. We have a population who are so scared of their own shadows they resort into believing in invisible people. As well as those religious phonies who will exploit those fears.
Please, give me a break. We have a population who are so self-centered & full of anger that they don't know how to believe in invisible people.

The sword always has 2 edges.....

I'll pray for you....

Old 08-23-2009, 09:05 AM

22,553 posts, read 47,262,082 times
When mass-circulated e-mails start showing up, the thread has jumped the shark.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:27 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,187,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post

Anyone ?
No. I disagree completely. It will be totally impossible to find prayers that will include all religions especially when some children don't believe in anything.

Anyways why are we discussing religion in the Florida Forum? There is a reason why I never visit that other forum.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:04 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,158,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
No. I disagree completely. It will be totally impossible to find prayers that will include all religions especially when some children don't believe in anything.

Anyways why are we discussing religion in the Florida Forum? There is a reason why I never visit that other forum.
You need to read the thread and not just the last postings.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:08 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,187,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
You need to read the thread and not just the last postings.
The second message was a general comment, not just to that poster. Religion discussions always get heated, and I get annoyed by both sides. They have no place in a relocation forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or