U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:23 PM

89 posts, read 194,266 times
Default Best "Lesbian" Friendly Areas in FLA. for Relocation???

My partner and I are thinking about relocating from the NY/NJ area to Florida. We are both professional women in our 40's and are not looking for a "party" atmosphere...

We would like to move into an area that is gay friendly, with a family atmosphere, cultural and recreational activies nearby, also being near a major hospital would be a plus.

The top of our priceline would be about 300k

Can anyone suggest any areas of Florida that fit this criteria?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 08:18 PM

98 posts, read 301,455 times
Lake Worth, in Palm Beach County.

Large, active gay population (major Pridefest celebration every April), lesbian owned coffee shop - the name changed recently, for unknown reasons, to Mother Earth coffee, but it was Les Beans.

Very new-age, liberal, hippie laid back feel. Yoga, organic market, professional theatre, art galleries, and 15 minutes from downtown West Palm Beach.

JFK Medical Center is 15 minutes from downtown Lake Worth.

Paul

Old 08-23-2009, 08:37 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,669,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jog1151 View Post
My partner and I are thinking about relocating from the NY/NJ area to Florida. We are both professional women in our 40's and are not looking for a "party" atmosphere...

We would like to move into an area that is gay friendly, with a family atmosphere, cultural and recreational activies nearby, also being near a major hospital would be a plus.

Thanks!
Wilton Manors, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 PM

618 posts, read 711,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jog1151 View Post

Thanks!
I would suggest South Tampa ) It definitely fits within your price range. South Tampa is very accepting and one of the best places in Tampa to live. We have the 3 day pride event here and many LGBT activities & venues. Hyde Park is located there which is an upscale area with many wonderful restaurants, nightclubs, shops, etc.
I know that Tampa General Hospital is rather close to this area as well.
Good luck with your search!!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:20 AM

10 posts, read 20,552 times
Pensacola Area is Very Gay Friendly we have the Pride Weekend Every Memorial Day and Thousans show up for it, very nice area and in your price range, the Beaches are Awesome

Old 08-24-2009, 06:29 AM

14,667 posts, read 15,916,054 times
I second the Lake Worth/West Palm Beach area. In particular, Southern West Palm Beach and Northern Lake Worth.

In WPB, neighborhoods to look into:

Grandview Heights, Flamingo Park, Southland Park, South of Southern

In Lake Worth:

College Park, Parrot Cove

Old 08-24-2009, 06:54 AM

10,154 posts, read 16,325,935 times
On the Gulf Coast - Sarasota Florida - especially areas around downtown and Siesta Key. Also St. Petersburg.

Sarasota has loads of cultural amenities, very sophisticated and cosmoplitan little city without being too snooty, lots of artists live here, plenty of great food in the form of restaurants and markets, and some of the most beautiful beaches you will ever see. I have a lot of gay/lesbian friends here, they just love it.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:56 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,255,556 times
Pensacola is kind of an odd duck- there's a sizeable G&L population and also a pretty sizeable extremely conservative fundamentalist streak to the area (Pensacola Christian College, the Brownsville revival crowd) but save for the occasional street preachers over by Cordova Mall, the two groups never seem to cross paths much.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,438,541 times
I second the mentioned S. Tampa and St. Pete area.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 AM

7,902 posts, read 5,315,948 times
Tallahassee has a large lesbian community too, I think, at least for its size.

I mean numbers. Not large lesbians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida