Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:25 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,376 times

Advertisements

I would recommend Jacksonville. Although I have not lived in Naples, I think it is a bit expensive. I think you will find the cost of living better in Jacksonville, housing more affordable and probably better employment opportunities there. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 02:43 PM
V20

67 posts, read 272,004 times
We are 131 days into the year and Cape Coral, a city of 167,574 people, has had 2 murders. That is an incredibly low murder rate for an area with such a massive population.

At this rate there should be a total of 5.5 murders in Cape Coral this year. Last year Cape Coral had 6 murders. Boston, a city of 549,000 had 90 murders. Cape Coral should have had 27 last year to equal Boston's rate. Detroit, a city of 900,198, had 385 murders in 2004. Cape Coral should have had 71.6 to equal Detroit's rate.

For one to say that they do not like Cape Coral because palm trees irk them or because they hate dolphins is one thing, but to accuse Cape Coral of having a high crime rate is factually inaccurate.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:57 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,265 times
This might be of some help. Its strange that the southeast and southwest of the cape have the most murders. When it comes to just suicide the numbers are very high. Fort Myers has everyone beat hands down.
http://www.nbc-2.com/googlemaps/2006-7murders.htm (broken link)

Old 05-11-2007, 06:48 PM

489 posts, read 2,014,469 times
Extremely useful link to information, firemed. Thank you very much!

Old 05-11-2007, 08:19 PM

155 posts, read 473,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
This might be of some help. Its strange that the southeast and southwest of the cape have the most murders. When it comes to just suicide the numbers are very high. Fort Myers has everyone beat hands down.
Alot of crime centered around central Ft. Myers. I wonder if the high end redevelopment is going to run the minorities out, or if the minorities are going to run the development out. I've never seen a situation like downtown Ft. Myers. Million dollar condos literally accross the street from shacks. I'm hoping developers will slowly snatch up some of those junky properties and turn that into a nice area. I guess only time will tell.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:26 PM
V20

67 posts, read 272,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
That is very helpful. It shows that Cape Coral has had very, very few murders considering its population.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inftmyers View Post
Alot of crime centered around central Ft. Myers. I wonder if the high end redevelopment is going to run the minorities out, or if the minorities are going to run the development out. I've never seen a situation like downtown Ft. Myers. Million dollar condos literally accross the street from shacks. I'm hoping developers will slowly snatch up some of those junky properties and turn that into a nice area. I guess only time will tell.
I agree that downtown Fort Myers is really strange. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. I know that they hired the guy that planned Naples Five Avenue. I don't know if they plan on taking his suggestions. They should do something. It could be gorgeous. It's a beautiful location.

A huge problem is that Fort Myers was just a small town for decades. Then the hordes came and built away, creating this enormous sprawl.

Downtown has never done very well, even though there have been numerous small businesses that have done a nice job of creating interesting shops and restaurants. They seem to be frequented by the local workers during the week and the young bar crowd at night, but it is not a "destination" spot.

I've always felt that a huge part of the problem is the approach into Fort Myers. Driving into Fort Myers is ugly to scary. I think it is a barrier to tourists and locals that might otherwise go there.

The minority comment? I'll just say that white trash does it's share of crime there, too.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:47 PM

Oh I agree with the white trash completely. That area just seems to be the minority section of town. Some of those new condos are extremely nice. If they can get them all full it would create a nice population base for some of those businesses. First Street Village looks amazing. If you haven't, I would check that out at www.firststreetvillage.com.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:20 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inftmyers View Post
Oh I agree with the white trash completely. That area just seems to be the minority section of town. Some of those new condos are extremely nice. If they can get them all full it would create a nice population base for some of those businesses. First Street Village looks amazing. If you haven't, I would check that out at www.firststreetvillage.com.
I like it a LOT! I've just started looking at it, so I haven't seen everything on there. It looks like one of their properties is a high-rise that I don't particularly care for, but the First Street Village is gorgeous.

If they can sell those to people, downtown Fort Myers has a chance!

I don't know if this is the best time to be building, on the other hand, maybe it IS.

Do you know when they plan to build?

Old 05-12-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I like it a LOT! I've just started looking at it, so I haven't seen everything on there. It looks like one of their properties is a high-rise that I don't particularly care for, but the First Street Village is gorgeous.

If they can sell those to people, downtown Fort Myers has a chance!

I don't know if this is the best time to be building, on the other hand, maybe it IS.

Do you know when they plan to build?
Its actually under construction right now. The Publix they are building already has all its walls up. I like high-rises but the one with this property seems too plain compared to the buildings in the actual village. The unique properties like this seem to be doing better real estate wise compared to the ordinary houses. I think the real estate forecast would be a little bit better if developers would stop trying to get their housing projects set up as quick as they can so they can get their money and get out, and instead payed close attention to detail and made their project stand out from the rest like this one. I respect this development A LOT because instead of letting investors come in and snatch up all the condos, they set a minimum of 80% occupancy meaning 80% of the buyers had to plan on living in their unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida