U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:42 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,168,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellobiafra View Post
So...due to 3 warnings in 4 weeks after the change in enforcement, I'm wearing my damn seat belt.

But I'm angry! To me, Florida stating that this is a safety issue is freaking absurd. In a state where I can drive a motorcycle without a helmet, yet I have to wear a seat belt while I'm surrounded by a ton of steel...c'mon! Is it not obvious to everyone that it's nothing more than a new revenue stream for local and state governments?

Bah
Driving in the state is not a right. Don't like it take a bus. No one really cares what you like or don't like. Those are the rules so maybe you should just protest and stop driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:02 AM

7,685 posts, read 16,112,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I've had 2 tickets for it and both times I was doing around 25 mph...hell I can ride a bicycle at that speed and fall off and maybe get some road rash at worst.
You may be going 25mph in your car, but not everyone else around you is. I've found myself smack in the middle of a high speed chase in a 30mph zone, and got to watch the perp take out 4-5 vehicles that were sitting at a stoplight as she tried to flee from a dozen cop cars.

As for biking, easy to break a couple of bones at 25mph if you land wrong.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,538,265 times
I feel naked without mine on, have worn it for years....

Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 AM

556 posts, read 1,392,595 times
Sorry but the OP has no point at all. People's obesity has nothing to do with the issue of wearing a seat belt. Wear it because it's a law that can freaking save your life. Whenever I hear on the news that someone got shot through their windshield because they didn't wear their seat belts, I don't think "what a horrible law". I think "that idiot got what was coming, one less careless moron in the world."

Stop whining and wear your seat belt because it's your responsibility as a driver.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:30 AM

1,377 posts, read 3,736,139 times
Oh poor you, what are you gonna complain that you have to get a license to drive next?! Really, it takes like 1.5 seconds to put my seatbelt on, I feel sorry if you have kids, I doubt you'd put them in a safety seat. Oh well, Welcome to Floriduhh!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 AM

267 posts, read 714,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
No one really cares what you like or don't like.
You must, since you took time of your day to reply

Old 09-02-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wGoshen View Post
Sorry but the OP has no point at all. People's obesity has nothing to do with the issue of wearing a seat belt. Wear it because it's a law that can freaking save your life. Whenever I hear on the news that someone got shot through their windshield because they didn't wear their seat belts, I don't think "what a horrible law". I think "that idiot got what was coming, one less careless moron in the world."

Stop whining and wear your seat belt because it's your responsibility as a driver.
Lack of comprehension for $200 Alex!!!

I do have a point, and it has nothing to do with obesity and wearing a seat belt. It has to do with government regulating safety, but in a completely inconsistent way. Tell me it's all about safety, and I point to the motorcycle helmet law. Tell me it's about insurance rates, and I point to the fact that our health insurance rates are effected by fatties, smokers, and drinkers than our auto insurance is by beltless drivers.

And again, I'll say that I AGREE THE BELT SHOULD BE WORN!!!! I understand it's safer to drive with, than without. That is NOT the issue. Ugh...

Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
...I feel sorry if you have kids, I doubt you'd put them in a safety seat...
I have 3 young boys, ages 4, 6, and 7, and we are obsessed to the point of OCD about them wearing their seat belts. Again, not the issue. We also don't let them drink gallons of soda, smoke cigs, drink vodka and shoot junk into their arms. One can hope that when they are the age to make those decisions for themselves, that they choose wisely. Till then, we make the decisions for them and choose well.

But this isn't about children, it's about an adults right to choose their own path, whether that path is dangerous to himself or not.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:20 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,861,471 times
To the seabelt proponents........why stop at belts ?, how bout if they made you wear a helmet in the car, or better yet a helmet while your in your bathtub, you know a lot of people get injured and die in the tub and that's jacking up your insurance too,

Some of us are old enough to remember when this country still actually beared some resembelance of freedom. The cops don't need to be hired hands to enforce the will of the insurance companies and we don't need a nanny state.

I don't see how some of you get in these accidents anyway, I've been driving for 26 years and have never even had a fender bender.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:21 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
There should be two tiers of auto and motorcycle insurance. one for people who choose to wear seatbelts and helmets, and one for those who choose to not do so.

The actuarials can then figure out how much each premium should be.

It pisses me off to no end that my premiums are inflated because of the people with catastrophic injuries who would likely have walked away from the accident had they been wearing seat belts or helmets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida