U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:24 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,189,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post
Where is enforcement this severe? I live in Marion County and only wear my seatbelt once in a blue moon, and I've never gotten stopped, warned, or ticketed.

I think it's one of those things that will be enforced sporadically. It was big the first couple of weeks after it went in effect, but I think it will be pretty low-key. I'm sure they'll do enforcement weeks like they do with drunk driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 02:29 PM

267 posts, read 712,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Jello, do you want to see what happens to the human body after being ejected through a side window or front windshield and landing 60 feet away ?? Private message me and I will show you what not wearing a seatbelt does. SEATBELTS Save lives....you may not know that because you have never encountered a situation to see it 1st hand. But please believe me....it saves many many lives.
Ugh, for the love of beer...I've said enough times that I know they save lives. Please read all the posts...

Moderator cut: Trolling

Old 09-04-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Because you are putting the LIVES of public saftey professionals at risk...that now have to respond to a bad car accident to pull your lazy battered body out of your car. Now they have to contend with traffic driving by, dangerous power tools, sharp metal and glass and bloodborne pathogens because you are bleeding like a stuck pig. That's why ! Ever think about that ?? I'm glad the law is in effect because now ignorant people like you HAVE to wear it.
Oh I see...now we have you to tell us that the reason for the law is to lower the risk to safety professionals. Moderator cut: Flaming

Pull my lazy battered body out of my car? Didn't you just talk in your last post about how not wearing a seat belt will get me ejected from my car in an accident?

Old 09-04-2009, 02:41 PM

1,377 posts, read 3,730,407 times
Hey jello do you text while driving too? Thank God your in Cape Coral, so I can't rest a little easier knowing there's one less irresponsible driver here in the Orlando area.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Hey jello do you text while driving too? Thank God your in Cape Coral, so I can't rest a little easier knowing there's one less irresponsible driver here in the Orlando area.
I'm not in CC noodle brain, and not only do I not text while driving, but I swore off cell phones a long time ago. The only accident I've ever been in was sitting in line to pick my kids up from school when some incompetent woman driver rear ended me.

So uh...

And what makes me an irresponsible driver? I said I'm wearing the damn belt, Moderator cut: Personal Attack

Last edited by doggiebus; 09-04-2009 at 09:11 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 04:19 PM

1,377 posts, read 3,730,407 times
Jello, another false assumption you are making is that, in the unfortunate event you are involved in an accident, you are assuming that you will be at fault, therefore you should not have to wear a seatbelt because you are in control of your car at all times. Well, what if there are 2 cars street racing, or a drunk driver who completely T-Bones you out of nowhere and you get ejected, all at the fault of someone you never knew, while you were abiding by all traffic laws. There's so many scenarios that could play out, but it seems to me like you have tunnel vision and are only thinking of how one scenario could occur.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:20 PM

141 posts, read 663,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I think it's one of those things that will be enforced sporadically. It was big the first couple of weeks after it went in effect, but I think it will be pretty low-key. I'm sure they'll do enforcement weeks like they do with drunk driving.
So has anybody here actually gotten a ticket for seatbelt use? Or are they just issuing warnings? I drive an old truck without tinted windows, so it's obvious whether or not I'm wearing one (unlike in many SUVs and vans you see with tinted windows - how can the police tell if they're wearing theirs before they stop them?).

Thankfully, I have not yet been stopped, warned, or ticketed, and until I read this thread I hadn't heard of anybody who had been. Perhaps it is an issue of selective enforcement due to the political climate in South Florida?

Old 09-04-2009, 04:21 PM

75 posts, read 221,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellobiafra View Post
c'mon! Is it not obvious to everyone that it's nothing more than a new revenue stream for local and state governments?

Bah
Of course it's a source of revenue. And if you are killed in an accident, they can't get any more taxes out of you.
I've been wearing my seat belt for over 20 years. If you have ever been in a serious accident you would realize it's a no brainer to wear the seat belt. That airbag can deploy at up to 200 mph and is a harder hit to the face than a hook from Mike Tyson in his heyday. Yes, the airbag can kill you especially if you aren't wearing a seatbelt.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:38 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,856,344 times
Quote:
Because you are putting the LIVES of public saftey professionals at risk...that now have to respond to a bad car accident to pull your lazy battered body out of your car. Now they have to contend with traffic driving by, dangerous power tools, sharp metal and glass and bloodborne pathogens because you are bleeding like a stuck pig. That's why ! Ever think about that ?? I'm glad the law is in effect because now ignorant people like you HAVE to wear it.
The truly ignorant are the are the ones who don't pay attention to what they are doing and get in the wrecks in the first place, belt or not. And boo fricken hoo about the safety professionals.....did they not know what the job description entailed the first day they went to work? If they don't want to contend with traffic, power tools and sharp metal they can hit the want ads and thier position will be filled before the ink drys on their last check. There are at least 20 occupations far more dangerous than cop/firefighter and who is crying for them ?, where is their acknowledgement and mourning from the public?

Old 09-04-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Jello, another false assumption you are making is that, in the unfortunate event you are involved in an accident, you are assuming that you will be at fault, therefore you should not have to wear a seatbelt because you are in control of your car at all times. Well, what if there are 2 cars street racing, or a drunk driver who completely T-Bones you out of nowhere and you get ejected, all at the fault of someone you never knew, while you were abiding by all traffic laws. There's so many scenarios that could play out, but it seems to me like you have tunnel vision and are only thinking of how one scenario could occur.
Please do me a favor and point to where I made that false assumption? Or are you making things up again in the name of bashing me some more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida