U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 AM

2,903 posts, read 10,946,976 times

Advertisements

We who are in emergency services are also affected by this choice. How many here have scraped people off the pavement after being ejected......I have many times. I've lost count of how many 3am car accidents I've been called out to.......real fun.(NOT).

We have a term for folks who do not wear seat belts......same term for the folks who use cellphones while driving, drink and drive, etc........we call it "job security"

Last week we had an 8 year old get killed in an car accident in our county....she was the only one of 5 NOT wearing a seatbelt..the other 4 people were fine...I'll spare you the details, but it was bad.

Personally I don't care much what folks do.....but no one seems to understand that there are always others who have to sometimes deal with the consequences of your actions........

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 01:02 PM

267 posts, read 713,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
I'm not picking on you or trying to start an argument, but that's a little bit of a stretch, isn't it? How many people are killed each year because an unsecured person from another vehicle hit them?
I bet there are more killed who would have lived if they hadn't been wearing a seatbelt than are killed by another persons body flying through the air.

Nanny state-NO. Personal responsibility-YES
Thanks for saving me the time it would have taken me to reply the same exact way. LOL...

Old 09-16-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
We who are in emergency services are also affected by this choice. How many here have scraped people off the pavement after being ejected......I have many times. I've lost count of how many 3am car accidents I've been called out to.......real fun.(NOT).

We have a term for folks who do not wear seat belts......same term for the folks who use cellphones while driving, drink and drive, etc........we call it "job security"

Last week we had an 8 year old get killed in an car accident in our county....she was the only one of 5 NOT wearing a seatbelt..the other 4 people were fine...I'll spare you the details, but it was bad.

Personally I don't care much what folks do.....but no one seems to understand that there are always others who have to sometimes deal with the consequences of your actions........

Frank
Fine, but I'll ask (and having friends in the same business, I know the answer), how many times have you also had to scrape pedestrians off the street? Shall we outlaw walking down the road? The fact is, you are not physically harmed by me not wearing my seatbelt. The same can not be said from people driving drunk, or without headlights, or many of the of the other things that have been compared to driving without a seat belt on. If the law states that wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle is a personal choice, so should be wearing a seat belt.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:04 PM

70 posts, read 172,970 times
OP, If you ever get into a bad accident, I pray that you are not wearing your seat belt.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,325,869 times
I think the OP's point was if there is a mandatory seatbelt law at the very least there should be a mandatory motorcycle helmet law. It's alot more dangerous to drive a motorcycle without a helmet than to drive a car without a seatbelt. Heck, it's alot more dangerous to drive a motorcycle with a helmet on than to drive a car without a seatbelt on! And if there's a mandatory seatbelt law it should most definitely apply to school busses. I've seen school busses driving like Indy 500 race car drivers. We all agree that seat belts are safer, even the OP. He just doesn't think the government should be his mommy about it.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:35 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,803,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellobiafra View Post
I'm wearing my damn seat belt CTR. But I damn well don't have to like it, and I'm damn well going to point out the obvious b.s. being shoved down our throats for the reason I have to wear it. So there
I worked for a legislator who was a sponsor of the seat belt bill. Four years after it passed, we still recieved calls on ocassion from folks who said that they felt just the way that you do- until they got into an accident. They were calling to thank him.

When you pass an accident, look at the front windshield and you can tell if seat belts had been worn or not. The spiderwebbed shatter came from someone's head. It's just a matter of getting into the habit.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPatrick1970 View Post
OP, If you ever get into a bad accident, I pray that you are not wearing your seat belt.
So, you are wishing me death and for my children to go fatherless? Lovely

Old 09-17-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I worked for a legislator who was a sponsor of the seat belt bill. Four years after it passed, we still recieved calls on ocassion from folks who said that they felt just the way that you do- until they got into an accident. They were calling to thank him.

When you pass an accident, look at the front windshield and you can tell if seat belts had been worn or not. The spiderwebbed shatter came from someone's head. It's just a matter of getting into the habit.
Again, no one is arguing the safety factor of wearing one.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:10 AM

478 posts, read 896,176 times
Well here's a grave example of what can happen to those who don't wear their sealtbelts.

Courtesy of the Ledger.
Fatal Crash victims Identified

Old 09-17-2009, 08:42 AM

435 posts, read 600,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellobiafra View Post
So...due to 3 warnings in 4 weeks after the change in enforcement, I'm wearing my damn seat belt.

But I'm angry! To me, Florida stating that this is a safety issue is freaking absurd. In a state where I can drive a motorcycle without a helmet, yet I have to wear a seat belt while I'm surrounded by a ton of steel...c'mon! Is it not obvious to everyone that it's nothing more than a new revenue stream for local and state governments?

Bah

I totally agree with you. It should be our choice whether we put a seat belt on or not. It makes me very angry, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida