Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:42 PM

130 posts, read 155,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Do you have any pics of the area that you could post for us?
My digital camera is broke.My Wife is buying another this week.I had some stored on my computer of deer grazing in the front yard but i erased them.
Just about every morning there are deer or rabbits in my yard.The hills are absolutely awesome at sunrise or sunset.Last night some coyotes made a kill in the hills behind my house usually a rabbit.
I will take some pictures this week but, be patient because i have a alot of work to do after today.Look for it this weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 01:15 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
So why are you posting in the Florida forum if you are now living a dream-like life in mississippi? Just curious.

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to live in mississippi.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:34 PM

460 posts, read 2,344,413 times
I am also curious how you make 80k there??

Old 04-30-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
So why are you posting in the Florida forum if you are now living a dream-like life in mississippi? Just curious.

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to live in mississippi.
If you did not like my post and my thoughts why did you respond?
I lived in Florida many years and there is a good chance i paid more taxes in that state than you.So, therefore i feel i have earned a right to voice my opinion in the Florida section.You see there alot of people that live in Florida who had there counties and neighborhoods hijacked from them by invaders of the Northeast and foreign countries that did not want to assimilate into our society but, changed our way of living and it is to these Floridians that i'am talking to.My message is the ship sank along time ago and get out while you can you're just wasting your time and money at this point.I'am living proof there is life and lots of it elsewhere.Per ratio Florida ranks 1-2 in crime and Mississippi ranks 32-35 annually according to the FBI and most of that is down in Jackson, Ms.If you want to compare QUALITY OF LIVING compared to Florida i'am ready with proof/stats not just talk on how bad Florida has become.I have alot of friends who can't wait to get out of Florida are they wrong?

I do not hate Florida i hate what it has become.
You made this statement

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to live in mississippi

So, what part of Mississippi did you visit and when?

If you like Florida more power to you and be happy if you found your paradise i have found mine.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:00 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times
Mississippi? That is culture shock for sure. I don't think I would ever want to live in Mississippi. Nice to visit, but after a while it would become a bit dull to me. I guess I favor the Northeast so that's where we are! The southern folks can be a tad odd sometimes, but if you are happy, that's all that matters.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
Mississippi? That is culture shock for sure. I don't think I would ever want to live in Mississippi. Nice to visit, but after a while it would become a bit dull to me. I guess I favor the Northeast so that's where we are! The southern folks can be a tad odd sometimes, but if you are happy, that's all that matters.
Actually it is not that bad especially for a guy who grew up hanging out on the REAL FT. LAUDERDALE STRIP and South Beach.I actually like certain parts of Mass. and Vermont.
The Southern folks are a tad odd at times and i have met some of the very same kind of people in Vermont and up state New York. There just missing the southern draw.We have alot of people moving here from the Chicago,Il area.The cold does not really bother me but, it does my wife and Daughter if it did not i would be in Vermont.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:21 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
Now you've got me curious. What do you do for a living?

Old 04-30-2007, 03:36 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud to be American View Post

Home: i have a beautiful 3/2 approx. 2,000 sq.ft. home, detached 3 car garage approx. 1,000 sq ft., fireplace, 8 acres and four stall barn. All for $83,000!!!!!

I earn almost $80,000 a year and my Wife earns $30,000.Talk about actually having money to spend on your kids and having a FAT savings!I could not do that in South Florida.We have privacy and alot of fun with the kids around the house on the land.When we want to go out and eat we are only 30 minutes away from Tupelo, Ms and it has everything you will ever need there.Soon, the Toyota plant will be built West of Tupelo and that will be a big boost to the area economy.
I actually leave my keys in my car at night and some nights have left the front door opened or unlocked.No traffic while commuting to work is the BIGGEST benefit that i never realized while living in South Florida! (need i say 595 West/East at rush hour)
People are very friendly with your occasional annoying Redneck/nosy neighbor.But, i have learned to deal with it and really is not a problem.My Daughter is in the local High School and after football games they attend "the fifth quarter" at a local church.The only problem that i see with the youth in this area is there are about 2 pregnant teens in her School.My wife is from Colombia and has been recieved very well with no problems at all.She is actually friends with a local Attorney and she is Colombian as well.

Well the town i live in is called Tremont (Indian for three mountains) located in Itawamba County on the Alabama Mississippi State border and just South of Tennessee approx.40 miles.Nearby towns (9 miles) Fulton is also an excellent area and just West of there is Tupelo.

I know some of the local major metro transplants would shoot me if they knew i went around telling people how good we have it.

I'm glad you're happy there, for you it worked out, but I think for most it would not.

1) If a 2000 sq foot home currently costs only $83k, you probably can't count on it building you much equity in the near future should you have to relocate again for some reason.

2) Making $80k in a remote region makes you a big fish in a little pond and like you said, you've got money to spare right now. Could you realistically replace or even come close to that kind of income if something were to happen with your job?

3) Your daughter is attending the local school, will you be happy when she begins to date? What if she dates one of your local rednecks? Marries one?

I have a little inside information on the area you're talking about - not sure if it was the same town, but my friend lived 30 minutes north of Tupelo, so same general area anyway - and she said there was a lack of decent jobs and an absolute lack of things to do - she hated it. She moved there for a marriage that ended up being brief and she is now back in NE FL.

Glad you're happy there, but I don't think you'll get too many others excited to move there.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:45 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
My husband and I are living in AZ at the moment. We often visit Fl and have considered moving there for retirement. The crisis with insurances there (along with the photo of the giant spider) have steered us away. These boards offer so much information and I value folks input and experiences. Thank you Proud to be an American, we may visit Mississippi in the near future.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:58 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud to be American View Post
I moved from Weston/Sunrise, Florida (i lived in Westerm Broward nearly all my life) to Northeast Mississippi.I first visited after my Father retired here from Sunrise, Fl.I left a good job and all the negatives behind and have not thought about South Florida since (or anywhere in Florida for that matter)I do miss my friends but, heck there all moving to this region anyway

My average monthly bills are as follows:

Water: $10 a month (sometimes $20in the Summer) and it is the best tasting water ever!

Electric: Summer $98 Winter $76

LP gas: Winter I pre buy $400 and still have 200 gallons available.

Home: i have a beautiful 3/2 approx. 2,000 sq.ft. home, detached 3 car garage approx. 1,000 sq ft., fireplace, 8 acres and four stall barn. All for $83,000!!!!!

Taxes and insurance on home: is approx. $1,600 a year and it would be $200 cheaper but, i elected to have a few extras on my insurance policy.

Garbage pick up: $10

Motor vehicle gas: at this time is $2.65 a gallon

Phone: basic service is exactly $20 a month

High speed intermet: i feel is a little expensive but $50 a month.

At first i had a bit of a hard time with the move and being away from friends and family.But, i have friends here now and some of them are from major metropolitian areas of the country.I earn almost $80,000 a year and my Wife earns $30,000.Talk about actually having money to spend on your kids and having a FAT savings!I could not do that in South Florida.We have privacy and alot of fun with the kids around the house on the land.When we want to go out and eat we are only 30 minutes away from Tupelo, Ms and it has everything you will ever need there.Soon, the Toyota plant will be built West of Tupelo and that will be a big boost to the area economy.
I actually leave my keys in my car at night and some nights have left the front door opened or unlocked.No traffic while commuting to work is the BIGGEST benefit that i never realized while living in South Florida! (need i say 595 West/East at rush hour)
People are very friendly with your occasional annoying Redneck/nosy neighbor.But, i have learned to deal with it and really is not a problem.My Daughter is in the local High School and after football games they attend "the fifth quarter" at a local church.The only problem that i see with the youth in this area is there are about 2 pregnant teens in her School.My wife is from Colombia and has been recieved very well with no problems at all.She is actually friends with a local Attorney and she is Colombian as well.

Well the town i live in is called Tremont (Indian for three mountains) located in Itawamba County on the Alabama Mississippi State border and just South of Tennessee approx.40 miles.Nearby towns (9 miles) Fulton is also an excellent area and just West of there is Tupelo.

I know some of the local major metro transplants would shoot me if they knew i went around telling people how good we have it.

You know what is funny, we have people here wanting to move to Mexico or Costa Rica so their money will go a little farther. I would prefer staying right in the old US of A. Sounds like you found what a lot of people are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida