Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:10 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I'm no (trained) Economist, but I have been telling people that for years. Maybe I do know a thing or two about economics...
Yeah man, it doesn't take a economist to see the benefits of more diverse cities than the cities of South Florida. That is why it sort of baffles my mind when I see people say they wish Florida was the way it was. Things are changing, certain industries are dying off or they will be transformed into something else. Generally when that happens, the money generated from those fields are never on the same level they once were. To ask for things to go back to how they were is to ask for a continued depopulation and possibly even neighborhoods that will be empty etc. The prosperity of South Florida will depend on its ability to reinvent itself, get meaningful industries here and establish sustainable growth. As opposed to the ponzi scheme it was once based on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 06:43 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,867,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
My youngest child is a sophomore in high school. We pay about $5000 annually in property taxes for one of the best high schools in the state of Pennsylvania, possibly the country. Yes, the taxes may appear high to an outsider, but we live in a 4500 square foot home (including the finished basement) on an acre of ground. Combine the topnotch schools with the size of our home, and $5000 is a bargain.

my bejibes 4500ft, i live in one thats about 2100 and its considered ( big in miami, and by all my friends) and it not even that big, alot of the rooms are small

Old 09-04-2009, 07:00 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Yeah man, it doesn't take a economist to see the benefits of more diverse cities than the cities of South Florida. That is why it sort of baffles my mind when I see people say they wish Florida was the way it was. Things are changing, certain industries are dying off or they will be transformed into something else. Generally when that happens, the money generated from those fields are never on the same level they once were. To ask for things to go back to how they were is to ask for a continued depopulation and possibly even neighborhoods that will be empty etc. The prosperity of South Florida will depend on its ability to reinvent itself, get meaningful industries here and establish sustainable growth. As opposed to the ponzi scheme it was once based on.
Go to SW Florida (Lehigh Acres, Imokalee and parts of Naples) on any given day, and you'll see. That's proof of what you're saying (in bold). There are no industries there. I don't even know what prompted people to go crazy during the boom to get a house there.

Some people I know are kicking themselves right now . Some friends approached me to invest money in some of those houses. I was the first to tell them it wasn't a great idea, unless they wanted a place to isolate themselves and relax. I dont like telling people "I told you so", but everytime some mention how they're considering letting go of these properties....the look on my face says it all..

There are no diverse industries there, let me correct myself..hardly any industries there for people to work and live...

It was bound to happen...They are the hardest hit. The house prices declined faster than everywhere in Florida. You can get deals over there for dirt cheap, but nobody is buying...

Old 09-04-2009, 07:14 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
my bejibes 4500ft, i live in one thats about 2100 and its considered ( big in miami, and by all my friends) and it not even that big, alot of the rooms are small

Yes, but I live in Pittsburgh and the closest real beach is 6 hours away!

Old 09-04-2009, 08:24 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,867,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Yes, but I live in Pittsburgh and the closest real beach is 6 hours away!

so, lol i live in like the suburbs of the city, about a mile from the city limits. but the closest beach is like 6 miles away and most houses were built in the 80's, most of the people i know about 70% go to the beach atleast 3 times a year, it really is not that great, and its hard to have time to go. you northerners make our prices go up with your false dreams no hate just truth

Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Preach it!

I've been telling people for years this stuff. First they thought it was going to keep going up. They did that well past the peak. Then we had the fun watching them call a never-ending bottom. Now they are back saying things are going to go up, up, up, again.

Based on what? The place has always been for the low-to-middle-income retiree and the minimum wage service jobs that support them. The place is a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Go to SW Florida (Lehigh Acres, Imokalee and parts of Naples) on any given day, and you'll see. That's proof of what you're saying (in bold). There are no industries there. I don't even know what prompted people to go crazy during the boom to get a house there.

Some people I know are kicking themselves right now . Some friends approached me to invest money in some of those houses. I was the first to tell them it wasn't a great idea, unless they wanted a place to isolate themselves and relax. I dont like telling people "I told you so", but everytime some mention how they're considering letting go of these properties....the look on my face says it all..

There are no diverse industries there, let me correct myself..hardly any industries there for people to work and live...

It was bound to happen...They are the hardest hit. The house prices declined faster than everywhere in Florida. You can get deals over there for dirt cheap, but nobody is buying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida