U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:43 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,478,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Yeah right, I beg to differ.... I CONSTANTLY see the seniors driving like fools out here. There needs to be a mandated driving test at 70 and every 2 years after. Most(80%) of the accidents I see here in SWFL are old people. I have nearly been creamed by people who can barely see over the steering wheel, or just do not pay attention. OR think they can drive how they want because they have been driving for 100 years. look up statistics, I bet it's seniors who are a lot more dangerous.
I can guarantee the fatalities in the Orlando area are strongly skewed towards the younger drivers with a measurable number attributed to street racers and aggressive drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 05:50 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,516,134 times
On CNN once I saw where they did a study on elderly vs. younger drivers as to whom was more dangerous, and elderly took the prize.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:16 AM

2,863 posts, read 6,387,273 times
The rule of thumb I use is Thanksgiving until Easter. February and March are the worst.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:22 AM

2 posts, read 17,584 times
My husband and I have lived in Florida 25 years. Some snow birds come down as soon as it gets cold, probably October, some in November, more in December. My elderly father loves to come down the first of January and stay until April 1st. You'll know when it happens. All the sudden the grocery stores will be jammed, the roads slow, and YES, many of them driving don't see real good. Not sure I'd be riding around on a motorcycle in Florida.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:34 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,559,378 times
I thought after Thanksgiving so they can spend that holiday with their family. I can see such a difference now from when I was here in the winter. In the winter I saw daily accidents almost and of course the restaurants and grocery stores were much busier. I agree about the retesting for people but with age discrimination it would be an issue. I don't even like being a passenger in my 86 year old grandfathers car more or less in front of him on a bike. Many though are in denial when accidents happen and just blame everyone else.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:40 AM

15,126 posts, read 31,027,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Bruckart View Post
My husband and I have lived in Florida 25 years. Some snow birds come down as soon as it gets cold, probably October, some in November, more in December. My elderly father loves to come down the first of January and stay until April 1st. You'll know when it happens. All the sudden the grocery stores will be jammed, the roads slow, and YES, many of them driving don't see real good. Not sure I'd be riding around on a motorcycle in Florida.
No way I would ride a motorcycle down here. My hubby used to have one many years ago but I refuse to let him get another. In this part of the Gulf coast it is definitely the SENIORS who are dangerous! This includes my father-in-law (80 yrs. old) who should not be behind the wheel. Many of them can't see, can't hear, have slow reflexes, don't know where they are going, etc. etc. Add that to the huge amount of traffic on the roads during "season" and you have a real dangerous mix. That is the only downside of living here. When we lived in Lakeland we didn't have that problem, as we didn't have a lot of snowbirds or seasonal traffic, it was a lot safer there.

There's not a day that goes by that I don't read about some horrible cycle accident. Even Bruce Rossmeyer, the guy who had the big Harley dealership in Orlando was killed while riding on his.

Something to think about.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:53 AM

448 posts, read 1,306,555 times
We'll still ride our bikes. But be a bit more cautious. Its our therapy

Old 09-10-2009, 08:13 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,019,848 times
When I moved here in '99, that was my first thought. I will finally get my own instead of just being a passenger....and...NO HELMIT LAW! Yahoo!!!
I had to drive about 26 miles to work everyday and saw too many accidents to scare the bejesus out of me. Dang Shame!
Glad you kept your dream.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:01 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,794,478 times
In order to claim residency, We'll show up the first week of November and head out the first week of May.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:10 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,281,241 times
In my area of FL snow bird season doesn't really affect me, not much come to my area. I live in a Family oriented suburb right outside Orlando right by a huge university,so there's not too many old ppl around here. Thank god. But i still have to deal with them when i go up to the villages fl every couple of months to visit grandparents, I like going there in the summer, it is flooded with snow birds in the winter. Most of them come in october and leave in april
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida