Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:14 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Quickie update-

I also called my current agent asking what would I have to do to cancel existing coverage. They got very nervous and they asked me for 24 hrs to see what else they could do for me.

Well, well, well....seems they'll just charge you whatever you'll pay instead of being fair. If they come down now, that alone would make me want to change agents! (But if they come down about $4k it would save you having to change anything although I doubt that will happen.)

I would actually cry if we had over $6000 in HOI! Guess it's good we live in the middle of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 05:54 AM

251 posts, read 885,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-50 View Post
Does that mean if I do a refi I would be able to use that appraisal as long as it isn't more than 12 months old.
Yes as long as it is a replacement cost appraisal

Old 05-03-2007, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Quickie update-
I went to speak with that agent today. He gave me a quote from Citizens which is $4000 less than I currently have. However, I would have to have no coverage currently. I would have to cancel my existing and he would issue a certificate to pick up Citizens at the same time. He was going to get some other quotes through Lloyds of London and US Brokers (?) and get back to me.

The $160 is for mitigation inspection - my roof, hurricane shutters, etc.

In the meantime, I will make a few calls myself tomorrow as Sunshine State suggested.

I also called my current agent asking what would I have to do to cancel existing coverage. They got very nervous and they asked me for 24 hrs to see what else they could do for me.

I am pretty sure Citizens will be your lowest quote. Make sure you ask your agent about the refund of your current insurance before you cancel it. That is my one concern that they will try and keep your entire premium. Good Luck and let me know what happens.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Well, well, well....seems they'll just charge you whatever you'll pay instead of being fair. If they come down now, that alone would make me want to change agents! (But if they come down about $4k it would save you having to change anything although I doubt that will happen.)

I would actually cry if we had over $6000 in HOI! Guess it's good we live in the middle of the state.
One of the last times I was in Tallahassee I listened to the lobbying going on from Statefarm ins and others. I wouldn't get to compfy in the middle of the state because they (the insurance industry) are talking about raising the inland counties by 100% to 150%. They say there can be as much dammage in the middle of the state as on the coast. I can tell you all for a fact that if Florida has ANY type of a hurricane (even if it just touches us) we are screwed as far as insurance. We got some slow down in rate increases this year but they are just waiting for any hurricane to blast us. I don't know if you know who Sam Miller is (google him with ins) well while in Tallahassee he was in an elevator with me and like some mad man just kept chanting hurricanes, hurricanes, hurricanes! The I was later told that the industry is looking to increase premiums several hundred percent if we have a hurricane this comming year. I am NOT kidding you and if people don't ALL come together across this state then we can all follow each other out as we leave.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:15 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,154,502 times
This "different" agent showed me a list of the companies that are on that un-regulated category. Gulfstream was not. He said his grandmother also had Gulfstream and he got her out of it. That they cannot keep the balance of my premium. Well, I would want that in writing anyway.

My existing agent just called me. They had asked me for 24 hrs to see what they could do for me. Whoopy! $900 off but since I'm paid through December I would have to wait until next renewal.

I gave her such a piece of my mind, I almost feed bad about it now. SHE is the agent, not I. How come she can't think of cancelling me and issuing a new company's certificate in tandem? How come they couldn't look up other companies and give me some choices and/or suggestions.
You really have to pull teeth and do your homework before somebody offers a less expensive way to do business. Yeah, her pocket is getting fatter while mine is gasping! Oooooffffffff, I'm sort of ticked right now.

They will now contact Citizens about accepting me if I can cancel Gulfstream since I would fall into the 25% reduction rule and will contact Gulfstream to make sure I would get a refund of the rest of the 6 mths that are paid.

The agent from yesterday was supposed to call me in the afternoon and he hasn't yet so we'll see about HIM!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
This "different" agent showed me a list of the companies that are on that un-regulated category. Gulfstream was not. He said his grandmother also had Gulfstream and he got her out of it. That they cannot keep the balance of my premium. Well, I would want that in writing anyway.

My existing agent just called me. They had asked me for 24 hrs to see what they could do for me. Whoopy! $900 off but since I'm paid through December I would have to wait until next renewal.

I gave her such a piece of my mind, I almost feed bad about it now. SHE is the agent, not I. How come she can't think of cancelling me and issuing a new company's certificate in tandem? How come they couldn't look up other companies and give me some choices and/or suggestions.
You really have to pull teeth and do your homework before somebody offers a less expensive way to do business. Yeah, her pocket is getting fatter while mine is gasping! Oooooffffffff, I'm sort of ticked right now.

They will now contact Citizens about accepting me if I can cancel Gulfstream since I would fall into the 25% reduction rule and will contact Gulfstream to make sure I would get a refund of the rest of the 6 mths that are paid.

The agent from yesterday was supposed to call me in the afternoon and he hasn't yet so we'll see about HIM!

You are realizing what I have been telling people for months now....don't be afraid to shop around! The sad and TRUE fact is that your "current" agent could get you the same deal as this "new" agent. Again Good Luck and keep me posted.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
One of the last times I was in Tallahassee I listened to the lobbying going on from Statefarm ins and others. I wouldn't get to compfy in the middle of the state because they (the insurance industry) are talking about raising the inland counties by 100% to 150%. They say there can be as much dammage in the middle of the state as on the coast. I can tell you all for a fact that if Florida has ANY type of a hurricane (even if it just touches us) we are screwed as far as insurance. We got some slow down in rate increases this year but they are just waiting for any hurricane to blast us. I don't know if you know who Sam Miller is (google him with ins) well while in Tallahassee he was in an elevator with me and like some mad man just kept chanting hurricanes, hurricanes, hurricanes! The I was later told that the industry is looking to increase premiums several hundred percent if we have a hurricane this comming year. I am NOT kidding you and if people don't ALL come together across this state then we can all follow each other out as we leave.
Ok, this is getting scary...as I know it's already been for those in coastal communities. The sad part is, if we can't afford it and want to leave, who the heck is going to be there to buy our homes if their insurance then would be so high? Nobody.

Please, what can an ordinary person do to come together with others? I'm not sure it does any good to contact our representatives -- the Florida state reps & senators don't even respond to emails -- and my rep doesn't even have an email address. I'm so mad at all of them right now -- over the property tax issue -- that I hope they're all voted out next time.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:38 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,154,502 times
Yep! and that property tax special session is now put off until June. They need 10 days to discuss this and it seems it wouldn't have been fair to come up with a answer in just the last 3 days of regular session which ends tomorrow.

UHUMM. Let's see what they come up with in June, if it's not postponed AGAIN!

That's very true Nana about who will be here to buy anything. We may just have to leave it all behind? Start from scratch somewhere else without a dime of your equity, or a job, or anything. Sure scares the HECKLINGBURPS out of me big time! There must be something we can do, actually physically do. Not just hope on a dream and a prayer that things will work via the normal, usual, lame, polite, political channels.

Wow, I'm getting very upset! I have to wait to get to my home computer to start spreading some love for some. This computer won't give me the little scales!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:51 AM

Starting all from scratch....! I'm 59 years old and that would likely put me in my grave. It's even worse when I think of what may happen to my children and grandchildren.

We seriously need to pay closer attention to those running for office -- not just their political party, but actually who they are and what they're all about. And we hand over our lives to them for them to decide what's best for us!??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida