U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:17 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,652,227 times

Advertisements

^ thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 10:00 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,733,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
A 400-pound pet Burmese Python named Delilah was seized from a Florida home after eating 7 rabbits .

400-Pound Python Delilah Seized From Florida Home

This is very scary, I couldn't imagine just seeing this Goliath.
We have been hearing alot of this here in Florida. Snakes that are not indigenous to the area are either let go or escape at times and cause problems.

Its not ususual for them to eat rabbits, in fact with a snake that size I don't know what else you would feed it, maybe the neighbor hood cats, not sure what else.

I am glad they took it though. A child died here recently because of an owner being irresponsible with their snake.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,668,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
We have been hearing alot of this here in Florida. Snakes that are not indigenous to the area are either let go or escape at times and cause problems.

Its not ususual for them to eat rabbits, in fact with a snake that size I don't know what else you would feed it, maybe the neighbor hood cats, not sure what else.

I am glad they took it though. A child died here recently because of an owner being irresponsible with their snake.

Kill them all!!! They are top of the food chain and not indigenous to this continent. Just another harrowing example of not understanding the "pet" you bought.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Kill them all!!! They are top of the food chain and not indigenous to this continent. Just another harrowing example of not understanding the "pet" you bought.
But the owners have "rights"!
Where is that doggone upchucking emoticon when I need it?

Old 09-15-2009, 05:22 AM

208 posts, read 540,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
But the owners have "rights"!
Where is that doggone upchucking emoticon when I need it?
Until the law is changed, you do have the right to own a snake in Florida. If you do not like the law as it stands then write your representative and fight to have it changed. Otherwise, people can continue to have and raise these animals as pets, and all your anger and disagreement will not matter. This is how our country works. If this man decides to get a permit he legally can get another snake, there is nothing stopping him.

A zebra bit a girls fingers of at a petting zoo in North Carolina yesterday. I guess my neighbors should get rid of their zebra just in case...you never know.

By the way, we know cats, dogs, and pigs are domesticated, but I have wild cats, some wild dogs (probably were once pets, but have since become wild pack dogs) and even some wild boars wondering around these parts. I guess since they are now out in the ecosystem, we should prepare for the animal control to come and collect our pets. They might end up on the streets one day. Like the hundreds, that were left behind by the foreclosure mess. I am sure there are lots of people that do not have their dogs licensed in Collier County. Should they have them taken away and euthanized, without just notification? Can the state use the excuse of wild dogs roaming in the area, as means to collect your pet? Maybe your dog got out once or twice in the past 5 years, would that be enough to take it and kill it? Do you know how many people left their animals loose in Florida in the past few years? These are the people that should be found and fined. Not the peole who love and take care of their pets.

Sorry, but in this day and age we live in, I am worried about our rights as Americans.
I still believe the owners should pay their fines, get the proper permits and if the enclosures pass animal controls regulations as a secure holding/living are, they should be able to keep it.

This all I will say on the matter. You can laugh at our laws and walk on others rights, but until the laws are changed, there is nothing you can do about ownership of exotic pets, nothing.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:32 PM

790 posts, read 1,463,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin4 View Post
Until the law is changed, you do have the right to own a snake in Florida. If you do not like the law as it stands then write your representative and fight to have it changed. Otherwise, people can continue to have and raise these animals as pets, and all your anger and disagreement will not matter. This is how our country works. If this man decides to get a permit he legally can get another snake, there is nothing stopping him.

A zebra bit a girls fingers of at a petting zoo in North Carolina yesterday. I guess my neighbors should get rid of their zebra just in case...you never know.

By the way, we know cats, dogs, and pigs are domesticated, but I have wild cats, some wild dogs (probably were once pets, but have since become wild pack dogs) and even some wild boars wondering around these parts. I guess since they are now out in the ecosystem, we should prepare for the animal control to come and collect our pets. They might end up on the streets one day. Like the hundreds, that were left behind by the foreclosure mess. I am sure there are lots of people that do not have their dogs licensed in Collier County. Should they have them taken away and euthanized, without just notification? Can the state use the excuse of wild dogs roaming in the area, as means to collect your pet? Maybe your dog got out once or twice in the past 5 years, would that be enough to take it and kill it? Do you know how many people left their animals loose in Florida in the past few years? These are the people that should be found and fined. Not the peole who love and take care of their pets.

Sorry, but in this day and age we live in, I am worried about our rights as Americans.
I still believe the owners should pay their fines, get the proper permits and if the enclosures pass animal controls regulations as a secure holding/living are, they should be able to keep it.

This all I will say on the matter. You can laugh at our laws and walk on others rights, but until the laws are changed, there is nothing you can do about ownership of exotic pets, nothing.
Then the laws need to be changed. All it takes is one bite from the python and that's all she wrote. A twenty foot python will have no qualms about swallowing an adult, and it will just as soon as this "exotic pet" busts free.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:34 PM

kristen4- Soooooooo, you moved to Naples last month, and are already THAT familiar with whats running around the neighborhood? Nice try, but I dont think so.
I live on the edge of a National Forest, and have been rescuing animals for over a decade that get dumped out here by irresponsible people.
The same irresponsible people have dumped pythons out here, they have eaten my some of my livestock and pets.
I wonder how you would feel about somebodys so-called "rights" if your pets, or God forbid, a child were eaten by a NON-NATIVE species?
We can duke this out forever, but as a newcomer to Florida, I would suggest you try to acclimate yourself to whats REALLY going on here.
The long and short is, no permit, no python, that is breaking the law.
Better yet, how about no pythons, period? That circumvents the whole debate.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
kristen4- Soooooooo, you moved to Naples last month, and are already THAT familiar with whats running around the neighborhood? Nice try, but I dont think so.
I live on the edge of a National Forest, and have been rescuing animals for over a decade that get dumped out here by irresponsible people.
The same irresponsible people have dumped pythons out here, they have eaten my some of my livestock and pets.
I wonder how you would feel about somebodys so-called "rights" if your pets, or God forbid, a child were eaten by a NON-NATIVE species?
We can duke this out forever, but as a newcomer to Florida, I would suggest you try to acclimate yourself to whats REALLY going on here.
The long and short is, no permit, no python, that is breaking the law.
Better yet, how about no pythons, period? That circumvents the whole debate.
Yes, I moved here last month, BUT...my entire family has lived in Collier County as well as Miami. I lived with my parents here. Soooooooooooo, I think I know a bit about the area. My parents home was on 5 acres, wooded, with bear, panther, bobcats, and all kinds of creepy crawlers.
I have seen a lot here for years and years!!!! 17 total!
I am done discussing the legalities of this. But don't ever attack my person or my background. You know nothing about me at all. You have no knowledge of where I have been or what I do. I am the person that has moved away and come back, cause this is my home.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin4 View Post
But don't ever attack my person or my background. You know nothing about me at all. You have no knowledge of where I have been or what I do. I am the person that has moved away and come back, cause this is my home.
Calm down, no one has attacked you. Just pointed out what you have said in your posts and your info. I dont care what you do, or wehere you have been, but I do care about the fact that you are advocating rights for people that keep NON-NATIVE species that have the ability to eat people, and rights for people that flout the law.
After looking at the Constitution, I failed to find anything in that august document that gives pet owners "rights". Did I miss something?

Last edited by kshe95girl; 09-15-2009 at 01:40 PM..

Old 09-15-2009, 02:10 PM

Just letting you know I am not a "newcomer" to the area.

I would be devastated if my children or pet were killed by a dog, cat, snake, bird, drunk driver, by accident or on purpose. That is not the point at all.

Yes the guy was illegal. I already stated that he should have got a permit. I am sure he will if he ever gets another exotic animal. I still believe, it is wrong that they didn't give him warning. He said he would have abide by the law, but thought it was for new purchases, not 15+ years after the purchase. I know ignorance doesn't keep you from having to follow the law, but after 15+ years of attachment, you think the powers to be, would give him time to acquire a permit. Instead they take his longtime pet and give it away or kill it.

I do not believe we should kill every python (as other poster have commented). These are pets. Killing the wild ones is understandable, but hundreds of people own pythons and they are good pet owners. So, why kill them all? For goodness sakes, it is more dangerous for wildlife, and our ecosystem, to have man in the everglades...does this stop man?? It is more dangerous to drive on the roads. (I know this personally, my Dad was killed a few years ago in Naples). Does this mean we should stop driving?

If you do not like the exotic pet trade, then lobby to change the laws.

kshe95girl
If you reread your post, you did speak down to me. you made it sound like I should sit back and let the long term residents decide the laws. I count my time here at my parents. I paid taxes, worked and voted.

Darn, you have me going again! We can agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida