Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2009, 07:33 PM

705 posts, read 1,571,106 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in our 40's with no kids. We moved from San Diego to Jacksonville April 1st to buy a house and to be closer to my father near Sebring. Now that we're here, we're not really feelin' it. Just not much going on here. Compared to San Diego this place is just sad.

We're starting to check out the Pompano, Deerfield, Boca, Delray, Boynton, Lake Worth, West Palm area. Things we're looking for are jobs, inexpensive single family homes ($165K-$190K) and a more vibrant feel. Things we're not looking for are lots of crime or retirees.

I know there's not as much going on in this area as Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, but whatever the next best thing would be. There's no such thing as the perfect place, but Jacksonville is pretty dead. Or,... it seems that way to us.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 08:59 PM

574 posts, read 2,041,703 times
Someone from the south FL area could probably be more helpful (I'm in the Daytona area), but from what I understand, and based on when I have visited a friend who lived in three of those cities (Boca, West Palm and Lantana) those tend to be very expensive cities in which to live. I am kind of surprised about what you have said about Jax. There are a lot more younger people there than in most other places in FL and I always thought it had a lot to offer.

Nancy

Old 09-13-2009, 08:52 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,349,509 times
Well, the "jobs" part is the only thing that would probably be tough. Unemployment remains high. When it recovers, however, you may be able to find a place in your price range in a good area, but it will take some work.

It's more expensive down here than up in Jax. But there are some good areas left. San Diego, however, is still a much bigger place than anything in PBC.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:18 AM

976 posts, read 1,106,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
My wife and I are in our 40's with no kids. We moved from San Diego to Jacksonville April 1st to buy a house and to be closer to my father near Sebring. Now that we're here, we're not really feelin' it. Just not much going on here. Compared to San Diego this place is just sad.

We're starting to check out the Pompano, Deerfield, Boca, Delray, Boynton, Lake Worth, West Palm area. Things we're looking for are jobs, inexpensive single family homes ($165K-$190K) and a more vibrant feel. Things we're not looking for are lots of crime or retirees.

I know there's not as much going on in this area as Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, but whatever the next best thing would be. There's no such thing as the perfect place, but Jacksonville is pretty dead. Or,... it seems that way to us.

Any advice would be appreciated.

That might be tough to do in the cities you mentioned. Jax also has a far younger crowd than PBC.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:40 AM

705 posts, read 1,571,106 times
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Hmm,... so far, sounds like we're better served staying put. We'll probably take a trip down to that area soon to take a look around. Also, I don't know what the neighborhoods are like, but in doing a little searching, I've found what appear to be decent 3/2 and 4/2 houses for around $165K-$185K. Am I wrong? That's about the same as the market here in JAX.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:51 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,808,693 times
I'm in Boca and that price range I think will be hard as many you have the HOA fees on top of the house payments and they add up. The condo I rent is selling for around that without the HOA though I think they will never sell it for that price. I rented my mom a house in Lake Worth that was in a good area for that price range and the HOA was very reasonable from what we were told. I have heard there are some not great areas in LW but this was very safe and actually I liked it. It was very close to Wellington Mall and WP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida