Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:29 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,566,765 times

Advertisements

OK, someone please explain to me why Florida--the land of vacationers I thought--has so few comedy clubs? And what about open mic nights? It seems to me, upon searching, that Florida has more than the average State, but, considering Florida is the Playcation Capitol of the nation the showing is pretty pathetic.
What is going on with this? Maybe it's cause there are too many geezers and they don't historically watch the Comedy Channel or go to the comedy clubs. That's the only explanation I can come up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 01:31 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Most so called comedians aren't that funny.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:34 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Maybe the demand for the comedy clubs isn't great enough.

If there were more demand, there would be more clubs. We probably have as many as the residents and tourists need based on business generated.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:44 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
OK, someone please explain to me why Florida--the land of vacationers I thought--has so few comedy clubs? And what about open mic nights? It seems to me, upon searching, that Florida has more than the average State, but, considering Florida is the Playcation Capitol of the nation the showing is pretty pathetic.
What is going on with this? Maybe it's cause there are too many geezers and they don't historically watch the Comedy Channel or go to the comedy clubs. That's the only explanation I can come up with.
Hey TootiseWootsie, one can only theorize. Maybe any old joke just won't cut it with what you refer to as geezers. Been around, seen a lot, cried enough, laughed a lot. You gotta be real good to make em crack up.

Or maybe the days when everyone was laughing all the way to the bank are long gone along with the clubs. Even if you chuckle into a bank these days, the gesture is rudely returned with a sign that says "closed, gone to auction." People are hurting, jobs are scarce and comedy even scarcer...perhaps one day the clubs will blossom as good jokes return and merriment prevails.

In the meantime, we just gotta settle for a few online chuckles.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 09-15-2009 at 02:09 PM..

Old 09-15-2009, 02:43 PM

Moderate Guy, I'm a geezer also, but I get your point.
NY and California are still going with comedy clubs, but Florida has NEVER been a mecca of clubs; which surprises me, as I said before, because you think of Florida = vacation and fun = comedy clubs. Just seemed odd to me is all.
Boy, with this stock market I surely could use some great comedy right now myself.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:44 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
my theory for this is the same as for why we have such a dismal live music scene - too far off the beaten track for performers to travel, plus it's not part of the hispanic culture that's prevalent here - this is true for south florida anyway

Old 09-15-2009, 02:59 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
my theory for this is the same as for why we have such a dismal live music scene - too far off the beaten track for performers to travel, plus it's not part of the hispanic culture that's prevalent here - this is true for south florida anyway
You might have a valid point...as someone who lives there, as you do, would know more accurately.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,399,160 times
Improv in West Palm is real nice. think they used to have open mics there too. Heard off the hook on the west coast was decent too. There's also an Improv in Hollywood and Miami...
I wouldn't say there's a shortage of them.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,365 times
Comedy Clubs and Open Mic Nights were the rage in the '90's. Some charged cover, some didn't. They were competing to fill their space from mega dance clubs w/ top entertainment supported by record labels to launch their latest albums. There was also heavy competition from booze/brewing and soft drink companies to pay promotional costs to owners for entertainment based on their sales (but alas, not too much of that anymore).

Comedy and Open Mic acts are NOT just a single performer. There are MANY. This usually costs the club to either pay for each one, or a coordinator for the Open Mic and special insurance riders for performers who might have their equipment damaged, stolen or fall off the stage. This might cost the club owner $500-1K for the night + ADVERTISING (which could be another $1K). Worthwhile, if the draw is there (and these costs helped being underwritten by suppliers).

But in this economy, customers are down, costs are up and people are avoiding paying cover charges (which made up the differences).

WHY NOT JUST HIRE A DJ, SINGLE LIVE (SHORT ACT) OR KARAOKE SETUP FOR $150 FOR THE ENTIRE NIGHT INSTEAD? OR PUT IN A JUKEBOX THAT CUSTOMERS PAY FOR?

Once upon a time, Florida had a thriving live music and comedy scene. Resort hotels ALWAYS had live entertainment for guests in their lounges and provided regular work for entertainers for touring circuits. Also bars, pubs and clubs in metro areas.

It's now 2009! Either sponsor a starving artist yourself to perform, or get with the times and pay the going rates for Live performance tickets!

You can always find tickets online for existing LIVE events/concerts in your area at $75 -$200 per person. So watcha complaining 'bout?

After all, if you want to live in Florida, you'd better be prepared to run with the Big Dawgs!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 09-15-2009 at 10:50 PM..

Old 09-16-2009, 06:17 AM

daytonadewd, I'm missing your point. Sounds more dismal there than anything. I'm not getting your Big Dawgs comment I guess.
So, you are saying it costs a club $500-$1K + Advertising to have a FREE open mic night once a week? Interesting it would cost so much. However, there are cities like Chicago, DC, LA, NY that still have lots of free open mic nights. That's why I asked how come Florida has so few now. I guess there are just not enough of the younger crowd living there to support having entertainment in this weak, weak economy then in Florida. That makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida