Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 PM

872 posts, read 1,704,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs12804 View Post
i agree with all the posts here, I am a native south Floridian from Naples, I can say i left florida the last time 4 years ago, I say the last time due to it being the 5th time i left, the traffic, rude people, humidity, job market, just about the whole package just seemed to always get worse year after year and every time i moved away i found a new and exciting life elsewhere, but I love the beach so kept coming back! , tried myrtle beach (its even worse!) now I live in Denver Co. and im landlocked yes the Rockies are pretty but the east coast mountains ar3e prettier in my opinion, I wish I could find a place where I can make a living ,be safe, have the mountains and beach close by and be happy , any ideas? this economy seems so bad im not sure where to try next!
Maryland or Virginia sound like a good choice for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:41 AM

16,887 posts, read 16,005,563 times
Seems to me that if a person is socially inept it's pretty far-fetched to blame the state they live in.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:39 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,296,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Seems to me that if a person is socially inept it's pretty far-fetched to blame the state they live in.
I don't know about the OP, but it holds true for many!

Old 02-17-2011, 12:58 AM

38 posts, read 102,023 times
I'm the OP...

Well, I just decided to re-read this thread now... Searched for it because I'm in a situation similar to the original one. I'm still in Boca, and have gotten to know the area from Ft Lauderdale up to Delray Beach pretty damn well. Renting a house with three friends from school (none are from FL btw) for a VERY cheap price in north Boca. Beautiful house, in ground pool, and loving the weather.

I absolutely love the weather, even in summer! The problem I have is that all of my best friends and family are up north. I have a small amount of friends and the only close friends I have down here are the people I live with. Slim pickings in terms of quality people down here, whereas up north it seemed like I could hit it off with pretty much everyone.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to go to school in Boston when my lease expires this spring. Here are the pros and cons...

Boston:
+Being with family is super important to me
+I have a HUGE social circle to work off of between NH, Boston, and Providence
+I LOVE it up there in the summer
-Cost of rent will be double what I pay now for a dump in Boston (I pay >$500/mo for a great house with a screened in pool)
-I f**king HATE winter

Boca
+Beautiful weather, beaches and nature
+Want to own a boat after graduation
+Now that I have residency, FAU will be less than a quarter or the price of a school in MA and I have two years left
-Lonely and feel empty

Basically I need to decide between moving back with family and friends in Boston, have to endure cold dark winters again which will make me miss Florida, and pay $20k+ a year for two more years of school, or stay here and be somewhat depressed because I'm not with the people I love, but have to only pay $5k a year or something very cheap for school.

I have to think long term here. Two more years is a long time. Ill be more established if I decide to stay here, and with a fancy engineering job (knock on wood) I'll have the means to live an amazing life here in SoFla, while having the money to get a studio apt up in Providence or Boston for frequent visits. But I would be a Floridian for a good amount of time and I'd imagine I would feel guilty for leaving my family in the dust, seeing them only a few times a year.

If I move back, Ill have much more school loan debt, and I probably will not be coming back to FL.

This is the struggle I've been dealing with for the past two years!! I just do not know what to do, and "time is not telling."

Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 AM

564 posts, read 1,865,313 times
holy thread resurrection, batman!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:58 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,296,135 times
Are you a member of any clubs at school? What are YOU interested in that you can join a club and find like-minded people?

FAU in Boca is not a traditional residential college like UM, UF or FSU. It's got a reputation of being a "commuter" school, and that can cut down on the comraderie, friendmaking potential, etc. that comes with living in a dormitory.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,248,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I don't know about the OP, but it holds true for many!
So true.

Happens all the time.

People move to Florida without making proper plans, no research and many get themselves into debt and then hate Florida and it's people for it.

Those people need to stop blaming Florida as the state and its people did not force you to move to Florida or did they cause you do for whatever reason hate Florida.

Plain and simple, if you hate Florida you should not have moved their to begin with or you made poor decisions along the way.

Many people need to take a look in the mirror at the real problem and not blame Florida for their misery that was brought on by themselves.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:57 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,729,513 times
Where you live is not the reason why a person is having a rough time, can't blame FL(or any state for that matter) for making poor, or stupid decisions. I can't hate FL for anything really. I hate the summer heat, but it's what FL is about... I don't like it, but I deal with it.

Nothing like reading the posts about those who moved here and had no money, or jobs, then blame it on FL. Duh, how about planning ahead....

Old 02-17-2011, 01:28 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,022,438 times
Have a nice trip back.

Maybe the people you met simply didn't like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty six & two View Post
I'm from the Boston area, a college student, who wanted to escape the winter and snow. I left everything behind to start over new at Florida Atlantic University. I'm soon finding out how much of a hell this place is.

The weather is great; the people are horrible. Here's a sum of the adjectives I can use to describe all of the people I've met in the Boca area: antisocial, sheltered, snobby, stuck up, shallow, boring, soul-less, unmotivated, withdrawn, unadventurous, unexciting, uninteresting, narrow-minded.

At college up north I lived in the dorms. Everyone knew each other, everyone hung out with each other, and everyone was friends and actually did things. I had a million friends.

But I was suffering from seasonal affective disorder. I had to get away from winter. So I came to FAU at the end of August to live in the dorms.

Everyone is segregated by race it seems. Sheltered and narrow-minded. Blacks hang out with blacks and whites hang out with whites.

Everyone seems to hang out with that one person they meet because they're either too anxiety prone or unmotivated to meet new people. Everyone stays in their room and form almost an unbreakable social barrier around themselves. They might seem nice, but it's superficial. They don't want to hang out or meet new people, they stick with what they know. No one seems to have substance or a personality. It's like I'm surrounded by mindless, soulless zombies, like I'm playing "The Sims."

I know a bunch of people are going to come and tell me to work hard, go out and make it happen blah blah blah. I have been. I've met literally two friends since Ive been here, and our bonds aren't even strong. I've been here an entire month and have never been more lonely in my life.

My opinion: the only good thing about Florida is the sunny, warm weather. Nothing else.

Am I missing something?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:28 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,496,470 times
Seems to me that it might be a good idea to stick it out for 2 more years.....get the degree, then decide where you want to live. Visit up north a few times a year and see what that brings....

Perhaps try to get involved in activities you like meeting new people. It only takes a couple of new friends to make a difference.

Good luck...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida