Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 10:17 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times

Advertisements

Its not doom and gloom its moving with eyes wide open...I can list quite a bit we didnt like but that would not be productive, since my parents spend 4.5 months there I hear every year how its changed not for the better....there is no perfect place, most of S Florida is uppity those desirable areas...I lived with the same people here as I did there....the differences between the 2 places is that S Florida has Palm Trees, and great winter weather....the food is just as good as here, the schools im sorry but no comparison from my experience NY/NJ schools much better...the panhandlers in S Florida are awful....we liked the fact there was always something to do, we loved to dine outside that was big for us, since we loved to be out and about...I can go on and on the good and the bad, but at the end of the day everyone will have thier own experiences...My biggest issue was the Im better than you and its just not boca its all over S Florida, if you like those kind of people than it might be for you....most of my friends there are very wealthy but they are the exception as they are the nicest people ive ever met...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 07:22 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Its not doom and gloom its moving with eyes wide open...I can list quite a bit we didnt like but that would not be productive, since my parents spend 4.5 months there I hear every year how its changed not for the better....there is no perfect place, most of S Florida is uppity those desirable areas...I lived with the same people here as I did there....the differences between the 2 places is that S Florida has Palm Trees, and great winter weather....the food is just as good as here, the schools im sorry but no comparison from my experience NY/NJ schools much better...the panhandlers in S Florida are awful....we liked the fact there was always something to do, we loved to dine outside that was big for us, since we loved to be out and about...I can go on and on the good and the bad, but at the end of the day everyone will have thier own experiences...My biggest issue was the Im better than you and its just not boca its all over S Florida, if you like those kind of people than it might be for you....most of my friends there are very wealthy but they are the exception as they are the nicest people ive ever met...

I disagree that's "all of South Florida." That's mostly Boca. That's Boca's reputation and it lives up to it for a reason.

And honestly, that's the same mentality that is brought down from the Northeast, where cars matter, flashy jewelry and clothes, which neighborhood you live in (can't tell you how many mind numbing conversations I've listened to between ex-NYers about whether they're from the "north shore," "south shore"... or (apparently, YUCK), the "five towns")... basically Boca can be Long Island with Palm Trees!

Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I disagree that's "all of South Florida." That's mostly Boca. That's Boca's reputation and it lives up to it for a reason.

And honestly, that's the same mentality that is brought down from the Northeast, where cars matter, flashy jewelry and clothes, which neighborhood you live in (can't tell you how many mind numbing conversations I've listened to between ex-NYers about whether they're from the "north shore," "south shore"... or (apparently, YUCK), the "five towns")... basically Boca can be Long Island with Palm Trees!
That's true- I've visited Boca many times ( for work) and have been stunned at the attitude of too many of the folks there. And exactly for the reasons that you mention.....I'm sure there are also such folks in other areas of Palm Beach county, and elsewhere in the state ( wherever the folks with those entitlement attitudes move), but it seems concentrated in Boca.

I believe I'd rather shoot myself than to spend the rest of my life in Boca.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:31 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

I disagree..my son and daughter swam competitively for a long time, we knew people all over S Florida, and trust me its not just Boca....I thought I had seen it all with the self worth and we knew what south florida/ boca was like it didnt surprise me, we go with flow as those people dont bother us.....Im comfortable with my life and lifestyle I dont need to act like them, but it isnt just boca....we swam against poeople from jupiter down to Miami....I loved going to swim meets because all I heard was people talking about people and how they are and what they have....

Let me add the one thing that was a nice change was, Unlike Charlotte and NJ no one ever asked where we lived or development they honestly didnt care

Old 01-26-2014, 04:57 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Default NY/NJ in FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Ah, you mentioned the magic word-- NY/NJ. I've heard how groups, especially from NY, cling together and ignore or look down on people who are not from there. And Boca reigns supreme in NY types. My niece who lived there used to complain that people were so impatient in the grocery store parking lot that they would practically run over her and the baby in the stroller. She hated Boca.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:02 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Florida winter weather is only great when there are cold fronts and it's in the 30s to 50s. Love the looks on the tourists, snowbirds, and warm weather transplants walking around then. Poor babies, no shorts, beaches, pools, etc. Come back in the Summers when the heat index is over 100 degrees if you so like warm weather lol

Old 01-26-2014, 07:19 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
LOVE MY HOME!!! when I was little lived on the left 2nd floor apt at the Colony!!! Loved it then love it now!

Old 01-26-2014, 08:53 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Florida winter weather is only great when there are cold fronts and it's in the 30s to 50s. Love the looks on the tourists, snowbirds, and warm weather transplants walking around then. Poor babies, no shorts, beaches, pools, etc. Come back in the Summers when the heat index is over 100 degrees if you so like warm weather lol
My favorite is the tourists at the beach or pool determined to get their Florida tan- with their bathing suits, windbreakers, and blankets in the 50 degree weather, and winds.....

Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
My favorite is the tourists at the beach or pool determined to get their Florida tan- with their bathing suits, windbreakers, and blankets in the 50 degree weather, and winds.....
so true, its like they told all their northern buddies (Hey im going to Florida LAWLMG!!!!), and must come back with a tan to impress their friends! LOL in the dead of summer the running trail I use is EMPTY after 9am....

Old 01-27-2014, 06:08 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
LOVE MY HOME!!! when I was little lived on the left 2nd floor apt at the Colony!!! Loved it then love it now!
What a great picture and its so Miami! I love Florida and this is exactly what's great from Art Deco to Castile San Marcos, St. Augustine.

You Rock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida