U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-20-2009, 08:38 PM

976 posts, read 193,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
forty six & two,

hang in there dude. what are your likes/dislikes? maybe you can transfer to university of FL, or univ of jacksonville, or somewhere else. are you paying out of state tuition?

^^^???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-20-2009, 08:41 PM

34 posts, read 38,054 times
Quote:
forty six & two,

hang in there dude. what are your likes/dislikes? maybe you can transfer to university of FL, or univ of jacksonville, or somewhere else. are you paying out of state tuition?
I joined the skydiving club, and I want to take up scuba diving. All of this stuff requires a lot of money though and I haven't found a job yet down here. Ive met most people through motorcycling.

Transferring is hard because my major is somewhat rare (electrical engineering).

I'm sure if I find a job Ill be busier and have more money to explore my hobbies. Its just really really hard to find a job.

Unread 09-20-2009, 09:03 PM

7,137 posts, read 11,053,029 times
Valet Parking in Miezner Park big tips...dh and I were talking to the valet guys while we were waiting for our car they said they all put themselves thru college and then some with their tips...it might be worth looking into...Waitering in an Upscale Restaurant too is always an option...

Unread 09-20-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Valet Parking in Miezner Park big tips...dh and I were talking to the valet guys while we were waiting for our car they said they all put themselves thru college and then some with their tips...it might be worth looking into...Waitering in an Upscale Restaurant too is always an option...

Good suggestion Berry. I have a family member doing the same thing - go to a nice/upscale mall and do valet, you can get some good bucks man. Does UF have a good electrical engineering program? Or how about UCF?

Unread 09-20-2009, 09:15 PM

8,380 posts, read 18,827,153 times
Quote:
and many of those people in Boca Raton (I know for a fact) make less than my wife and I make.
Want to see something hilarious? I know it's just stats, but come on, you have to admit I have a point if you are familiar with either area.

Estimated median household income in 2007: $72,512 (it was $60,248 in 2000)
Boca Raton: $72,512

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Boca-R...#ixzz0Rhua8Rrj

Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2007: 7.4%

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Boca-R...#ixzz0RhuelRGF

Estimated median household income in 2007: $72,155 (it was $50,289 in 2000)
Miramar: $72,155

Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2007: 6.4%

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Mirama...#ixzz0RhurWjGE

Nuff said.

So yes, a lot of the "money" in Boca is definitely fake. Of course, per-capita incomes are much higher in Boca, but it still isn't all that. "Real" money is mostly NORTH of Boca on the barrier islands of Palm Beach County, although there definitely is some major cheese in Boca east of US1 (which is why the per-capita is so high). Otherwise, most of Boca is just solidly middle class, and in some parts trying to put on an image. Most of Boca (west of US1) is no better than places like west Boynton, Wellington, Coral Springs, and even places like Pembroke Pines and Miramar.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 09-20-2009 at 09:28 PM..

Unread 09-20-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Want to see something hilarious? I know it's just stats, but come on, you have to admit I have a point if you are familiar with either area.

Estimated median household income in 2007: $72,512 (it was $60,248 in 2000)
Boca Raton: $72,512

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Boca-R...#ixzz0Rhua8Rrj

Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2007: 7.4%

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Boca-R...#ixzz0RhuelRGF

Estimated median household income in 2007: $72,155 (it was $50,289 in 2000)
Miramar: $72,155

Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2007: 6.4%

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Mirama...#ixzz0RhurWjGE

Nuff said.

So yes, a lot of the "money" in Boca is definitely fake. Of course, per-capita incomes are much higher in Boca, but it still isn't all that. "Real" money is mostly NORTH of Boca on the barrier islands of Palm Beach County, although there definitely is some major cheese in Boca east of US1 (which is why the per-capita is so high). Otherwise, most of Boca is just solidly middle class, and in some parts trying to put on an image. Most of Boca (west of US1) is no better than places like west Boynton, Wellington, Coral Springs, and even places like Pembroke Pines and Miramar.
Yeah!!! A post we both can agree on!!! LOL!!!

Unread 09-20-2009, 09:44 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,568,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty six & two View Post
Am I missing something?
Sorry OP, please try to make the best of it if you are unable to transfer. Please Understand that this is a very different environment, but you will make some friends eventually, there's some good people down here who are not shallow or closed minded.

Yes, the segregation here can be very shocking for someone up north, it's even shocking for me and I'm from Latin America, at least where I'm from, we used to hang out with people of all races. I still don't understand why young people still carry those traditions down here. The culture here is not for everybody but please try to make the best of it, if you have to stay. It won't be hell. Enjoy the beauty of your surroundings and move up north once you finish college if you are unable to transfer.

I don't recommend this place to people who have issues with segregation. It is that bad.

Unread 09-21-2009, 05:40 AM

7,137 posts, read 11,053,029 times
Quote:
Yeah!!! A post we both can agree on!!! LOL!!!
Most of the money that I know of here their dh's are doctors, atty's and have their own business's

and the fact I shop with quiet a bit of them they dont use plastic they use debit cards or cash....and most of them make over six figures...so most of it isnt fake alot of people also have alot of stock options from former companies that they have excersized as well as being original home owners and having lower mortgages than people buying the last 5 years or so......

Unread 09-21-2009, 05:49 AM

336 posts, read 411,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty six & two View Post
I'm from the Boston area, a college student, who wanted to escape the winter and snow. I left everything behind to start over new at Florida Atlantic University. I'm soon finding out how much of a hell this place is.

The weather is great; the people are horrible. Here's a sum of the adjectives I can use to describe all of the people I've met in the Boca area: antisocial, sheltered, snobby, stuck up, shallow, boring, soul-less, unmotivated, withdrawn, unadventurous, unexciting, uninteresting, narrow-minded.

At college up north I lived in the dorms. Everyone knew each other, everyone hung out with each other, and everyone was friends and actually did things. I had a million friends.

But I was suffering from seasonal affective disorder. I had to get away from winter. So I came to FAU at the end of August to live in the dorms.

Everyone is segregated by race it seems. Sheltered and narrow-minded. Blacks hang out with blacks and whites hang out with whites.

Everyone seems to hang out with that one person they meet because they're either too anxiety prone or unmotivated to meet new people. Everyone stays in their room and form almost an unbreakable social barrier around themselves. They might seem nice, but it's superficial. They don't want to hang out or meet new people, they stick with what they know. No one seems to have substance or a personality. It's like I'm surrounded by mindless, soulless zombies, like I'm playing "The Sims."

I know a bunch of people are going to come and tell me to work hard, go out and make it happen blah blah blah. I have been. I've met literally two friends since Ive been here, and our bonds aren't even strong. I've been here an entire month and have never been more lonely in my life.

My opinion: the only good thing about Florida is the sunny, warm weather. Nothing else.

Am I missing something?
Welcome to the south!

Unread 09-21-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Most of the money that I know of here their dh's are doctors, atty's and have their own business's

and the fact I shop with quiet a bit of them they dont use plastic they use debit cards or cash....and most of them make over six figures...so most of it isnt fake alot of people also have alot of stock options from former companies that they have excersized as well as being original home owners and having lower mortgages than people buying the last 5 years or so......

LOL, so do the women even work? They (many of them) act like they got it all when they dont even work? CLASSIC... that's "so Boca" LOL!!! The median income in Boca is (and I'm not trying to brag) what my wife makes by herself. And I am looking into buying into a RE Development business in NC that would give me great income - if I decide to do it - and also depending if I keep my good credit in tact (my house situation here in Orlando puts me in a bind - I'm like $75k in the bucket and cant sell it. But that's another story)... My wife has a car that is 7 yrs old, and doesnt care one bit about what she drives. I have a Chevy Silverado. I know that women where my wife works out thinks they are better than us because their husbands are "supposedly" rich... they walk around, flaunt their Lexus', their BMW's, their Acura's etc... and come to find out, their husbands are loan officers, mortgage brokers, and once in a while they are VP's of some business, etc... And my wife and I make more money then they do - the women dont even work mostly, and they live in areas just like mine (many times the same neighborhood), and I see how they act towards others and act like they are better than everyone else. Same type of people in Boca Raton. Where I lived in Asheville, people have tons and tons of money (many of them locals who have millions and millions of dollars worth of land) and you'd never even know it - they keep quiet. Some people have got a lot to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida