U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 853 times

Advertisements

Greetings!
Husband and I, along with our 6 year-old son, will be going to Keys (Islamorada) in March 2010 for a wedding, and plan to do one day/overnight trip down to see Key West. I realize Key West is mostly "adult oriented,", but can anyone give advice for "kid friendly" place to stay for one night? Do not need to specifically be near ocean, as we live on the Outer Banks of NC year-round. Just a clean place with a pool that is within walking or biking distance to some fun things for kids to do. Also, any suggestions for what to see & do, restaurants, etc. with a 6 year-old in one day's time are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 08:32 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,035,363 times
Most of the Ocean/Gulf is either business:fishing/cruiseliners or large hotels. Or at the very bottom-Mile 1 and up, & if residental, is very shell-y. (and chickens running around, wild. And not a very affluent are, either)
I would try for a B & B.
There's plenty of them, in the old victorian, gingerbread style.
There are a few museums and aquariums. And of course the light house across from Hemmingway's home with 6 toed cats. But for a 6 yr. old, unless he's precouscious, I can't think of anything else, or even what I've listed.
Mostly food & drink, & food & drink, & trinket shops.
If going to a B & B, go close to the main roads. Almost everything there is walking. Driving is next to impossible,(so is parking) unless renting bicycles or scooters.
I love it there, but is is very bohemian.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:12 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,797,067 times
There are a plenty of things to do that are not all adult driven in key West. I would still say stay close to Duval Street and you will be in walking distance to the other things to do not just the bars.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:32 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,291,969 times
We go to Key West a lot - I love it there, but it really is more of an adult destination. But for one day, I think you will find family things to do.

I agree with the suggestion to stay at a B&B, since you'll just be there for one night. Otherwise, I'd suggest renting a place with a kitchen for longer stays.

We had decided to spend our last trip there doing the things we hadn't had a chance to do on earlier trips. One of the neatest things we did was the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory. We thought it was going to be kind of hokey, but it turned out to be really cool, and I think a 6 year old may also like it.

The aquarium was also a lot of fun. And we really enjoyed the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum. You may want to take a ride the Conch Tour Train if you get tired of walking around. At least that way you'll get to see most of the island. There are plenty of places to eat. I really don't have a specific recommendation for a kid-friendly restaurant, but you'll know them when you see them. As for restaurants in general - my personal favorite is Pepe's Cafe on Caroline Street - not to be confused with El Meson de Pepe which is near Mallory Square, which I also like and may be more kid-friendly. That one may be more what you're looking for, especially if you like Cuban food.

And speaking of Mallory Square - definitely get there for the sunset party. Your son will love that. There are tons of street performers - escape artists, tightrope walkers, trained cats, musicians, magicians - a real experience.

Have fun - I'm envious!! We aren't going to be able to get there this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida