Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2006, 05:41 PM

9 posts, read 27,815 times

Advertisements

My sister is relocationg to Lakeland Florida with my 2 nieces I am devistated, Can anyone tell me a little about the area? Is it safe, clean and hurricaine free? How about alligators? And is the cost of living higher or same as New Jersey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 06:06 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,385 times
Oh wow, that sounded like me and my sister 6 years ago. We moved down to Punta Gorda and they all cried. Now we are selling our home and moving back up! (we lived in Jersey too but are looking in Wayne County pa)
Alligators will only bother people if they don't use their heads. Stay away from the rivers and canals...
Hurricanes can happen anywhere. It's been really quiet so far this season.
I think the cost of living in more affordable too.
We are moving back because we miss our families in NY and Jersey.
Maybe your sis will move back too!

Old 07-17-2006, 06:12 PM

9 posts, read 27,815 times
Yeah I can only hope, but meanwhile my son is 5 will miss his cousins ages 7 and 9 and you know Christmas and Holidays wont be the same we spent almost every weekend together. It is going to be hard, and my husband wont even think about Florida he wants to move someplace cheaper than Jersey but is very opposed to Florida I can always hope He is looking it to North or South Carolina so were getting closer but we cant move for 3-5 years as my older son is from a previous marriage and I cant leave him or take him away from his father and his high school years. So they willl probably want to come home in 203 years and then we will move. Thanks for you response.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:23 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,385 times
Kim, South Carolina and North Carolina isn't all that either.
The locals there do not like the transplants. We were thinking about going there but forget it. We are going to Wayne County Pa. when we sell our home here. I hope we have that big family Christmas this year!!!!
With all the white and fluffy snow!
Then I will come on down to SW Florida to warm my toes in the sand for a couple of months!
The best of both worlds I would say.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:26 PM

125 posts, read 505,110 times
Just in Lakeland over the weekend visting. I would move there in a heart beat. Your family will be safe. Close to attracitions and so much more. Every area has its bad and good it doesn't matter where you live. Just to let you know I feel very welcome when I visit.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:31 PM

128 posts, read 641,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom
Kim, South Carolina and North Carolina isn't all that either.
The locals there do not like the transplants. We were thinking about going there but forget it. We are going to Wayne County Pa. when we sell our home here. I hope we have that big family Christmas this year!!!!
With all the white and fluffy snow!
Then I will come on down to SW Florida to warm my toes in the sand for a couple of months!
The best of both worlds I would say.

I have to totally disagree. We have been to North Carolina quite a few times now and got nothing but a warm welcome from everyone we came into contact with. NC is much nicer than FL with the mountains on one side and the beaches on the other, now THAT's paradise! Can't wait to move there! Oh and the best part is driving from FL to NC only takes us 8-9 hours so we can still visit family here often PLUS houses there are soooo much cheaper with lots of land. I would not rule out NC if I were you KIMBLIZ! You should go take a look at it yourself....just beautiful! Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida