U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 10:43 AM

30 posts, read 44,177 times

Advertisements

I was hoping to have moved to FL by now - but some things haven't worked themselves out yet. I have not given up hope that I will get there someday.

My question is: What do people do for a living that they can afford to live there? I have a college degree and would like to be able to support myself a bit better than I am doing up here in NY State. I think even if I made about the same money down there that I am making here, I could live better there. Just wondering what types of jobs (besides healthcare) are there in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 11:15 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,150,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesummer View Post
I was hoping to have moved to FL by now - but some things haven't worked themselves out yet. I have not given up hope that I will get there someday.

My question is: What do people do for a living that they can afford to live there? I have a college degree and would like to be able to support myself a bit better than I am doing up here in NY State. I think even if I made about the same money down there that I am making here, I could live better there. Just wondering what types of jobs (besides healthcare) are there in Florida.
Except for manufacturing that is lacing in Florida the jobs are pretty much the same as most places. Government jobs, city worker, retail, service worker and so on. I'm self employed.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:58 AM

915 posts, read 2,274,755 times
Quote:

This is the same reason I moved here from MD 5 months ago and it has been one of the best decisions I ever made... The cost of living is roughly half of where I was living in MD and I was lucky and got a substantial raise to come down here...

I am a software developer btw...

Old 09-24-2009, 02:45 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,702,574 times
If youre looking to make a nice living in Fl, then you have to live in or close to a major city . If you will be happy making an ordinary living, you could live in the country because like others have said, homes and property taxes are far cheaper ; this of course is dependant on you getting work in either . You need to come down for a couple week visit and scope out a few areas in the State to see where you would fit in based on your career, interests, type of home desired, proximity to the coast, etc....

Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 AM

30 posts, read 44,177 times
Currently I work for a college and though I believe in what we do (I am in fundraising/alumni relations) I wonder if going back to for-profit businesses would be more beneficial. Does anyone know how college's pay?

I really want to move to Florida within the next year - I don't know how many more winters I can take - and how much more of NY State taxes and costs I can take...

Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,702,574 times
Quote:
Currently I work for a college and though I believe in what we do (I am in fundraising/alumni relations) I wonder if going back to for-profit businesses would be more beneficial. Does anyone know how college's pay?

I really want to move to Florida within the next year - I don't know how many more winters I can take - and how much more of NY State taxes and costs I can take...
I had 49 cold long winters in northern Illinois till i cried 'Uncle' ! Im retired now, but even if I had to work, id be willing to take a paycut to live here. It is certainly worth it to be away from being stuck inside for 5-6 months every year. The sun has a great effect on a person too...in a positive way.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:37 PM

2,517 posts, read 9,881,708 times
Union jobs !

Old 09-30-2009, 12:48 PM

3,225 posts, read 7,652,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
I had 49 cold long winters in northern Illinois till i cried 'Uncle' ! Im retired now, but even if I had to work, id be willing to take a paycut to live here. It is certainly worth it to be away from being stuck inside for 5-6 months every year. The sun has a great effect on a person too...in a positive way.
Indeed. There's something about looking up in the sky, seeing sunshine, feeling sunshine that all do a body good! Something psychological and physical...that's the biggest draw of the Sunshine State.

However, I caution the OP to get a job opportunity and/or several months to one year savings to live off of before relocating. Otherwise he/she might regret the move... many who didn't do either take an unfortunate path of blaming Florida for a bad situation.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:55 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,705,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Union jobs !
I agree, repealing the right to work law in Florida would be a great benefit to its residents.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,928,430 times
Default I woule give you rep points for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I agree, repealing the right to work law in Florida would be a great benefit to its residents.
's

but it won't let me. The only reason financial, and JUST financially, we are going ok is that my husband was recruited from NY 5 years ago and given his NY salary to move here by a software firm. I am a civil servant, not making my NY school system salary, but still probably better than most by Florida's standards.

Bottom line. Money is not enough for me, because there are some things money, and eternal sunshine, cannot buy; like my kids and the 4 seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or