U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,146 times

Advertisements

I am looking into buying a home in stuart fl. Can anyone tell me the history of hurricanes in the stuart area.
Also any info. About property insurance costs there.
Thank you in advance for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 06:46 PM

23,912 posts, read 31,979,350 times
www.flhurricane.com will give you all the historical data you need.

Property insurance has too many variables to just toss out a number. A million dollar home on the beach will cost a lot more to insure than a $40K condo five miles inland.

Last edited by annerk; 09-29-2009 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-29-2009, 06:55 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,731,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue111b View Post
I am looking into buying a home in stuart fl. Can anyone tell me the history of hurricanes in the stuart area.
Also any info. About property insurance costs there.
Thank you in advance for any information.
It is around a 5% probability. Not very high.

Florida Hurricane Info

Old 09-29-2009, 09:06 PM

2,143 posts, read 5,250,994 times
Well, in 2004 we had two hurricanes make a direct hit on Stuart, three weeks apart.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:44 PM

8,893 posts, read 3,058,865 times
There also was Wilma in 2005.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:07 AM

131,622 posts, read 43,600,481 times
There may not be another one hit Stuart for 40 years and then again there may be one in two weeks. They are not on a schedule. Could hit anywhere any time in FL. I would never let it worry me.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:36 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,731,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
There may not be another one hit Stuart for 40 years and then again there may be one in two weeks. They are not on a schedule. Could hit anywhere any time in FL. I would never let it worry me.
Thats not really true. I would certainly not worry much about a hurricane if I lived in Mount Dora as opposed to say Miami. Stuart historically is about 5 times less likely to get a hurricane than Fort Lauderdale even though they are both costal. Florida is not all the same. If you live in Live Oak a hurricane is the farthest thing from your mind. I think that needs to be said about Florida because much of the perception is that once you cross the state line you are in some kind of inherent danger.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:36 AM

14,712 posts, read 16,286,434 times
Indeed, hurricanes have ravaged the eastern sea board from Florida to Maine in the past.

The upside of living in Florida (though we get more hurricanes, historically): We are more prepared with each storm, and the building codes, especially for new construction, are some of the toughest in the country. Let alone if you have additional protections such as hurricane impact windows. We know how to deal with storms. Conversely, imagine the havoc 3" of snow would do down here, just because we don't know how to deal with it.... while up North, places get 3 FEET of snow, no problem!

In 2004 and 2005 most damaged occurred to and through people's roofs. In a majority of those cases, those roofs were getting or were old, and people were able to get a nice shiny new, code-upgraded roof after the storm. Rates went up, but have thankfully come down a LOT since 2006 - 2007. If you are a Florida resident and your insurance has not gone DOWN, GO SEE AN INDEPENDENT INSURANCE AGENT and SWITCH!

Because the national companies "shell game" their Florida subsidiaries, they're about in the same danger of ever going insolvent as the local companies --- and even then, FLorida, like all states, has an insurance guaranty association to handle claims in the event of the insolvency of an insurer.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:43 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,665,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Well, in 2004 we had two hurricanes make a direct hit on Stuart, three weeks apart.
And in 1978 Hurricane David came in in Stuart area and came up the river basically.

Even Erin in 1995 did some damage down there didn't it? How bout Wilma in 2005- you were sort of on the NE side of that one when it hit in Palm Beach area weren't you?

And even if you do live in the center of the state Hurricane Season can be a pain. In the days before and after a hurricane hits the coast the interior of the state feels the effects through tornadoes which form.

That said, though Been here 30+ years and have only had to hunker down for 5 hurricanes. We have had a few tropical storms that did as much damage as a hurricane, too- thinking 2008 when we got 24 inches of rain in a day and a half.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,665,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Indeed, hurricanes have ravaged the eastern sea board from Florida to Maine in the past.

The upside of living in Florida (though we get more hurricanes, historically): We are more prepared with each storm, and the building codes, especially for new construction, are some of the toughest in the country. Let alone if you have additional protections such as hurricane impact windows. We know how to deal with storms. Conversely, imagine the havoc 3" of snow would do down here, just because we don't know how to deal with it.... while up North, places get 3 FEET of snow, no problem!

In 2004 and 2005 most damaged occurred to and through people's roofs. In a majority of those cases, those roofs were getting or were old, and people were able to get a nice shiny new, code-upgraded roof after the storm. Rates went up, but have thankfully come down a LOT since 2006 - 2007. If you are a Florida resident and your insurance has not gone DOWN, GO SEE AN INDEPENDENT INSURANCE AGENT and SWITCH!

Because the national companies "shell game" their Florida subsidiaries, they're about in the same danger of ever going insolvent as the local companies --- and even then, FLorida, like all states, has an insurance guaranty association to handle claims in the event of the insolvency of an insurer.
We got ours through an independent but it doubled after 2004 on our old house and is still expensive on this one. who knows whether this company will be solvent if a hurricane does damage our home- never heard of them till we bought this house and signed on the line. We also have hurricane charges on our electric bill, car insurance, phones, etc. No hurricanes for 5 years but we have not seen things go down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida