U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 22,955 times

Advertisements

Cool, alternative, energetic retired couple from Toledo thinking about moving to Key West full time. A retired teacher and business owner and former B&B innkeepers with many skills. We have a comfortable monthly income but we like to work and keep busy. We would be interested in working part time doing just about anything to supplement cost of living in Key West. We do not want to buy housing and prefer to rent. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 11:16 PM

332 posts, read 944,674 times
Default Better bring your checkbook

Don't know too much about Key West. Had a good time as tourists there for a couple of days last month. But we found real estate to be incredibly expensive. Took this photo of a "fixer-upper" about 3 blocks from Duval Street. (assuming the download works) If you zoom in you'll see the advertised price on the sign is $3.79 million!

With that kind of property value I can't imagine where the folks who work the shops and services can afford to live (rent or buy).

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Key West?-9-2009-florida-bahamas-trip-184.jpg  

Last edited by Jaybee; 10-04-2009 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: correct spelling error

Old 10-05-2009, 01:08 AM

289 posts, read 422,396 times
Suggestions: yes, win the lottery.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:15 AM

Ha Ha! Thanks for your comments and the photo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Don't know too much about Key West. Had a good time as tourists there for a couple of days last month. But we found real estate to be incredibly expensive. Took this photo of a "fixer-upper" about 3 blocks from Duval Street. (assuming the download works) If you zoom in you'll see the advertised price on the sign is $3.79 million!

With that kind of property value I can't imagine where the folks who work the shops and services can afford to live (rent or buy).

Good luck.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:16 AM

Ha! I wouldn't mind doing that wherever I'm living!

Old 10-05-2009, 03:08 PM

519 posts, read 1,219,696 times
Best of luck, I have no info for u but thier will be alot that do I just found it kinda cool that you are from Toledo, we are close to Bryan, don't know if you have heard of it or not but its about an hour away. Oh and we are trying to relocate to Florida as well, but to the gulf side.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 PM

132 posts, read 329,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post

Good luck.
Hah, that rundown place just happens to have a lot of land attached to it, a lot for Old Town Key West anyway, about two acres I believe, if that. Nobody is paying that much though. Values have slowly been dropping from what they were a few years ago, but stubbornly so, and still very high.

As far as how "service industry workers" can afford to live here, they work multiple jobs so they can afford to pay the rent on the apartment they might share with three or more roommates. It's no way to live for long, and borders on exploitation. Many are foreign nationals who'd rather do that though, then go back to their home country.
There has been some debate of how the Keys are going to maintain local people who work in these industries, but rent control projects are very limited, and seem in stall mode most of the time.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:39 PM

332 posts, read 944,674 times
Default Lot Size, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
Hah, that rundown place just happens to have a lot of land attached to it, a lot for Old Town Key West anyway, about two acres I believe, if that. Nobody is paying that much though. Values have slowly been dropping from what they were a few years ago, but stubbornly so, and still very high.

As far as how "service industry workers" can afford to live here, they work multiple jobs so they can afford to pay the rent on the apartment they might share with three or more roommates. It's no way to live for long, and borders on exploitation. Many are foreign nationals who'd rather do that though, then go back to their home country.
There has been some debate of how the Keys are going to maintain local people who work in these industries, but rent control projects are very limited, and seem in stall mode most of the time.
Actually the sign claims 1/2 an acre. In its format here that is probably unreadable-sorry. I have trouble appending photos to posts here.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 PM

Yep! We know Bryan. We have been there many times, mostly for soccer tournements when the kids were younger. Nice place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida