Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 07:10 PM

270 posts, read 504,521 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I currently live in South Alabama, a few miles from Pensacola, FL, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with FSU (Florida State University). I'm studying to be an English teacher, and I was thinking about doing graduate studies there. I've heard that it might be more affordable than the university I'm currently attending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 10:08 PM

13,616 posts, read 7,932,752 times
I graduated from FSU in 2006 with a degree in Criminology. My wife graduated from FSU with a degree in English Education. I'm from Florida, but I live in South Alabama now. I'm very familiar with FSU and the city of Tallahassee in general.

What exactly do you want to know?

It's a great school in a great town. Out-of-state tuition costs are very competetive compared to other universities. I'm sure you could find out the exact costs at the university's website (fsu.edu).

Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 AM

817 posts, read 2,250,817 times
FSU has an outstanding creative writing program, and the English department is pretty well regarded.

It's also a great place to study and live as a student.

That said, you'd pay out of state tuition rates, so that's something to think about.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:29 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,408 times
Some counties in South Georgia and Southern Alabama were getting in-state tuition rates at FSU. I attended FSU for my graduate degree. I liked the school and the instructors. I learned what I needed to for my profession, but I didn't feel that graduate school presented the challenge I had hoped for.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:34 PM

270 posts, read 504,521 times
I would like more information about the counties that were receiving in state tuition rates. I heard about a program from one of my classmates. I think it would be a great opportunity. If anyone has more information on this, please let me know. Also, for those of you who went, what were the classes like? Did you like your professors? How were the online classes? How available were the instructors? Did the instructors do their best to provide exemplary instruction?

Old 12-24-2010, 10:24 PM

13,616 posts, read 7,932,752 times
I went to FSU for undergrad, so I can't speak for the graduate programs.

But, most of the professors were good and accessible. Classes were small. The largest class I ever had was maybe 150 students. Obviously graduate-level classes will be smaller anyway.

As far as paying in-state tuition, Alabama residents may be eligible through something called the "Academic Common Market". Here's the link...

Financial Support - General Information / Funding & Awards / The Graduate School / FSU - Florida State University The Graduate School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida