Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 PM

149 posts, read 371,764 times

Advertisements

How is the area of Dr Phillips in the orlando area? any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 PM

216 posts, read 913,596 times
I live in Dr. Phillips - I love it! It's a very nice area, but what specifically would you like to know? I'll try to help!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:13 PM

Safety, and prices of houses and also renting?
do they have gated comunities?
Why do you like to live there? any information would be welcomed. Thanks a lot for replying!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:42 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
You should post this in the Orlando forum for more insight, but this is one of the nicest areas of town. It is a pretty busy area with great restaurants and small shops. It is close to areas where a lot of celebrities have homes like Shaquille O'Neal and Tiger Woods. They definitely have gated communities, it is safe though crime can happen anywhere. The only real cons is that it is a very busy area. If you are looking for something really nice but with a less tropical feel and calmer, Lake Mary is nice as well. If you are looking for something a little more urban or "old money" Winter Park or College Park are other great options.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Generally speaking Dr. Phillips is very nice. There are a few small areas on the very eastern sid ethat I'd avoid, otherwise it's a great palce to live.

The only thing we didn't like about it was the traffic. There just seemed to be tons of traffic.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Florida2 View Post
Safety, and prices of houses and also renting?
do they have gated comunities?
Why do you like to live there? any information would be welcomed. Thanks a lot for replying!
Safety: I personally find Dr. Phillips to be a very safe area. We live in a community off Apopka-Vineland (non-gated) and I feel safe. Sometimes I run at night, around my neighborhood and have never felt unsafe. I get an email through our HOA, that comes from the Sheriff's office and has all the crime stats for the area and breaks it down by type of crime, etc. The biggest issue around here is auto break-ins. There are a few home break-ins here and there, generally during the day when people are at work. I haven't heard of any violent crimes in this area. I'm not saying there aren't any, I've only been here since October, but I do read the crime stats and I feel very safe in Dr. Phillips.

Price of Houses: I would say a minimum of $275 for a nice 3 bedroom, and it can go way up from there. There are a few gated communities. Orange Tree is gated, it is a golf course community off Dr. Phillips BLVD. It is in a very convenient location, super close to the highway, grocery stores, YMCA, library etc. When we were looking to buy last October, we looked at Orange Tree. The lowest prices at that time were about $350 ish and the homes were okay in that price range. Then there are more upscale gated communities, Turtle Creek, Phillips Landing, etc. Those were pretty much out of our price range. The most inexpensive house was about $400K, with no pool. Prices may be lower now and those communities are beautiful. I don't know what the prices are now though.

Renting: I don't know of very much to rent right in Dr. Phillips. There are some condo/townhouses by the YMCA that are privately owned and many are offered as rentals. You could look on Craigslist for that. I personally don't know of any apartment type rental communities in Dr. Phillips.

Why I like it here: remember this is all relative to my personal preferences and experiences. I like it here because it has EXACTLY what my family was looking for which was: close to my husband's job on Sand Lake Road, close to stores, gym, library, activities and things for the kids to do, good schools, safe area.

There are many great areas of Orlando, but we really liked Dr. Phillips because it is close to my husband's job on Sand Lake Road. Minimal commute was a priority for us. Everything I need is within 10 minutes. Dr. Phillips is not rural and the lot sizes are generally pretty small so your neighbors will be close. The only area I find to have lots of traffic is Sand Lake Road, generally the worst during morning & evening commutes. It's not too bad during the day.

If my husband worked closer to Seminole county, we probably would have chose Lake Mary. I guess it depends on what your needs are. I can't think of any negatives about this area. Annerk mentioned traffic and as I said, it really only gets bad on Sand Lake Rd during commute times.

I can tell you that I used this exact forum to get info when I was moving here and it was SO helpful. Many people recommended Dr. Phillips and they were right - it is perfect for us.

We have some nice parks very close by, the theme parks are super close, the schools here are very good, there are tons of restaurants close by.

I hope this helps a little - let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:36 PM

I just want to add that if money and commute were no object, I would choose Winter Park for a more urban area and Windermere for a more suburban area. Winter Park is just beautiful, it has some gorgeous old homes lots of fun things to do. Windermere is beautiful, lots of little lakes in the area and you can get a larger, more private yard. Hey, I can dream right? I'm happy here in Dr. Phillips but if I somehow strike it rich, Winter Park and Windermere would be tops on my list. Good luck!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miakelly View Post
Safety: I personally find Dr. Phillips to be a very safe area. We live in a community off Apopka-Vineland (non-gated) and I feel safe. Sometimes I run at night, around my neighborhood and have never felt unsafe. I get an email through our HOA, that comes from the Sheriff's office and has all the crime stats for the area and breaks it down by type of crime, etc. The biggest issue around here is auto break-ins. There are a few home break-ins here and there, generally during the day when people are at work. I haven't heard of any violent crimes in this area. I'm not saying there aren't any, I've only been here since October, but I do read the crime stats and I feel very safe in Dr. Phillips.

Price of Houses: I would say a minimum of $275 for a nice 3 bedroom, and it can go way up from there. There are a few gated communities. Orange Tree is gated, it is a golf course community off Dr. Phillips BLVD. It is in a very convenient location, super close to the highway, grocery stores, YMCA, library etc. When we were looking to buy last October, we looked at Orange Tree. The lowest prices at that time were about $350 ish and the homes were okay in that price range. Then there are more upscale gated communities, Turtle Creek, Phillips Landing, etc. Those were pretty much out of our price range. The most inexpensive house was about $400K, with no pool. Prices may be lower now and those communities are beautiful. I don't know what the prices are now though.

Renting: I don't know of very much to rent right in Dr. Phillips. There are some condo/townhouses by the YMCA that are privately owned and many are offered as rentals. You could look on Craigslist for that. I personally don't know of any apartment type rental communities in Dr. Phillips.

Why I like it here: remember this is all relative to my personal preferences and experiences. I like it here because it has EXACTLY what my family was looking for which was: close to my husband's job on Sand Lake Road, close to stores, gym, library, activities and things for the kids to do, good schools, safe area.

There are many great areas of Orlando, but we really liked Dr. Phillips because it is close to my husband's job on Sand Lake Road. Minimal commute was a priority for us. Everything I need is within 10 minutes. Dr. Phillips is not rural and the lot sizes are generally pretty small so your neighbors will be close. The only area I find to have lots of traffic is Sand Lake Road, generally the worst during morning & evening commutes. It's not too bad during the day.

If my husband worked closer to Seminole county, we probably would have chose Lake Mary. I guess it depends on what your needs are. I can't think of any negatives about this area. Annerk mentioned traffic and as I said, it really only gets bad on Sand Lake Rd during commute times.

I can tell you that I used this exact forum to get info when I was moving here and it was SO helpful. Many people recommended Dr. Phillips and they were right - it is perfect for us.

We have some nice parks very close by, the theme parks are super close, the schools here are very good, there are tons of restaurants close by.

I hope this helps a little - let me know if you have any other questions.

WOW! This is great! you were Perfect!!! I think you covered all my concerns! This is perfect!!
I like it close to everything and being in NYC I do not like it too isolated! Thank you for giving me the names of the gated comunities. What is that really Gated comunities? Is there a watchman 24/7?

This is Great! How close to the Malls is it?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 AM

16 posts, read 50,037 times
You have received great info. Just wanted to chime in because I lived in Dr. Phillips for over 8 years. I lived in the Bay Hill subdivision and I cannot say enough good things about it. Very safe. Great place to raise kids. Great neighbors. It is not a gated subdivision but the area is well patroled by law enforcement.

Most of the subdivisions off of the Apopka-Vineland corridor are very nice. Phillips Landing, Turtle Creek, Bay Hill, South Bay, North Bay, Orange Tree, Diamond Cove, Sand Lake Point, Bay Lakes, Granada Villas, Vizcaya, Brentwood Club, Silver Woods (this is close to Dr. Phillips but is in the 34786 zip code) to name a few. You will find a mix of older areas and newer homes. Don't know what your price range but you can look up homes to buy or rent in the 32819 and 32836 zip codes. Dr. Phillips Elementary, Bay Meadows Elementary or Sand Lake elementary are good schools that are zoned for that area.

There is a great park behind Sand Lake Elementary called Dr. Phillips Community Park. It has a playground, splash park, doggie park, walking/joggin trail, volleyball court, pavillions to rent for gatherings, etc. There are also a few other nice community parks in the vicinity.

Of course, all the theme parks are easy access from the Dr. Phillips area as well.

Shopping, restaurants are also just minutes away. Within about a 4 mile radius you have the Mall at Millenia, Florida Mall, Prime Outlets and Festival Bay on International Drive and the new Plaza on the corner of Sand Lake Rd and Turkey Lake Rd.....they recently opened a Whole Foods Market there.

Good doctors and medical care in that area as well.

The traffic situation is correct.......can get really, really nuts!! Other than that the Dr. Phillips area is a great place to live. Wish I was still living there!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twindolls View Post
You have received great info. Just wanted to chime in because I lived in Dr. Phillips for over 8 years. I lived in the Bay Hill subdivision and I cannot say enough good things about it. Very safe. Great place to raise kids. Great neighbors. It is not a gated subdivision but the area is well patroled by law enforcement.

Most of the subdivisions off of the Apopka-Vineland corridor are very nice. Phillips Landing, Turtle Creek, Bay Hill, South Bay, North Bay, Orange Tree, Diamond Cove, Sand Lake Point, Bay Lakes, Granada Villas, Vizcaya, Brentwood Club, Silver Woods (this is close to Dr. Phillips but is in the 34786 zip code) to name a few. You will find a mix of older areas and newer homes. Don't know what your price range but you can look up homes to buy or rent in the 32819 and 32836 zip codes. Dr. Phillips Elementary, Bay Meadows Elementary or Sand Lake elementary are good schools that are zoned for that area.

There is a great park behind Sand Lake Elementary called Dr. Phillips Community Park. It has a playground, splash park, doggie park, walking/joggin trail, volleyball court, pavillions to rent for gatherings, etc. There are also a few other nice community parks in the vicinity.

Of course, all the theme parks are easy access from the Dr. Phillips area as well.

Shopping, restaurants are also just minutes away. Within about a 4 mile radius you have the Mall at Millenia, Florida Mall, Prime Outlets and Festival Bay on International Drive and the new Plaza on the corner of Sand Lake Rd and Turkey Lake Rd.....they recently opened a Whole Foods Market there.

Good doctors and medical care in that area as well.

The traffic situation is correct.......can get really, really nuts!! Other than that the Dr. Phillips area is a great place to live. Wish I was still living there!

Great Thanks!
No Kids just me and my husband. Are the gated subdivision better?
how i
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida