U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 PM

20 posts, read 50,355 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will soon be relocating and would like some general info on the above two counties. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:20 PM

574 posts, read 1,840,736 times
I live in Volusia County. What would you like to know?

Nancy

Old 10-09-2009, 05:29 PM

Hi - If for example I reside in DeLand, how many miles would I have to travel to hike or bike in the Ocala Nat'L Forest? I see on the map that DeLand is just east from the southern tip of the forest. Also, what can you tell me about this particular town/city? What are attractive 2 BR - 1 BA rentals, with amenities, going for? ( In general ). Currently I am looking into a place that has a fenced-in yard, in an old neighborhood, but I haven't all the info yet. ( I was told that I couldn't ride a bike to the laundramat; do not want to be isolated! ) Although I may have a washer/dryer hook-up, and soon a vehicle, I wish to be in an area that is not too remote.

Another person has been telling me about Inverness, in Citrus County, that house prices are really cheap right now. However, I am looking to rent; do not want to spend more than $650 due to utility costs and other living expenses. I am aware that Inverness is part of the area surrounding the Withlacoochee State Trail. Last January I went to a Dog show in Brooksville, stayed a week, and went walking on a stretch of the Trail - loved it! And the Nature Coast I really liked overall. But I have much of Florida yet to experience.

Right now I am in Key West, and I am also sad to leave because, of course, winter is so lovely here; temps do not go below around 50 degrees at night, and all the bothersome humidity during the day is gone from the air. But most of all, because I fell in love with the chickens in my backyard! I wish I could bring them with me; but no place public or north of here is quite like Key West, where the hens and roosters and their families all run free. I feed them bread ( which they love ) and leave them fresh water everyday. I will miss them so much. But unless I owned a farm and could give them a great life, with warmth in the winter, this is their home and where they belong. But all things considered, I do like the cooler nights that are closer to the four seasons, and it just seems time for me to move.

So anything you could tell me about Volusia County, City of DeLand, and surrounding areas, could be helpful...nearby shopping, recreation, etc...the general feeling of the area. I do not need to know about schools. But medical, veterinary sources, and anything you might think of that is fun and educational in the area, such as art galleries, cultural activities, etc...I am interested to hear about. And, as above, the great outdoors; I love animals.

I look forward to your reply!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:09 PM

980 posts, read 2,511,619 times
I grew up in Ormond Beach in Volusia County. DeLand is a great town. Rent is a little cheaper there than it is on the east side of the county. It's no more than a 30-45 minutes from recreational opportunities in the Forest. You just take US 17 north, and SR 40 west a little ways. Also, the beach at New Smyrna or Daytona is only 20-30 minutes. Plenty of good medical/veterinary care in the area. There is some agriculture north of DeLand, and lots of horses. Every November in Barberville just north of DeLand, they have the "Pioneer Days" festival which has everything "Old Florida". BBQ, sugarcane, exhibits, all kinds of interesting stuff. DeLand has a nice historic downtown area with great restaurants and things of that nature, and the Stetson University area is beautiful. I would highly recommend DeLand.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:45 PM

499 posts, read 1,595,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy10 View Post
Hi - If for example I reside in DeLand, how many miles would I have to travel to hike or bike in the Ocala Nat'L Forest? I see on the map that DeLand is just east from the southern tip of the forest. Also, what can you tell me about this particular town/city? What are attractive 2 BR - 1 BA rentals, with amenities, going for? ( In general ). Currently I am looking into a place that has a fenced-in yard, in an old neighborhood, but I haven't all the info yet. ( I was told that I couldn't ride a bike to the laundramat; do not want to be isolated! ) Although I may have a washer/dryer hook-up, and soon a vehicle, I wish to be in an area that is not too remote.

Another person has been telling me about Inverness, in Citrus County, that house prices are really cheap right now. However, I am looking to rent; do not want to spend more than $650 due to utility costs and other living expenses. I am aware that Inverness is part of the area surrounding the Withlacoochee State Trail. Last January I went to a Dog show in Brooksville, stayed a week, and went walking on a stretch of the Trail - loved it! And the Nature Coast I really liked overall. But I have much of Florida yet to experience.

Right now I am in Key West, and I am also sad to leave because, of course, winter is so lovely here; temps do not go below around 50 degrees at night, and all the bothersome humidity during the day is gone from the air. But most of all, because I fell in love with the chickens in my backyard! I wish I could bring them with me; but no place public or north of here is quite like Key West, where the hens and roosters and their families all run free. I feed them bread ( which they love ) and leave them fresh water everyday. I will miss them so much. But unless I owned a farm and could give them a great life, with warmth in the winter, this is their home and where they belong. But all things considered, I do like the cooler nights that are closer to the four seasons, and it just seems time for me to move.

So anything you could tell me about Volusia County, City of DeLand, and surrounding areas, could be helpful...nearby shopping, recreation, etc...the general feeling of the area. I do not need to know about schools. But medical, veterinary sources, and anything you might think of that is fun and educational in the area, such as art galleries, cultural activities, etc...I am interested to hear about. And, as above, the great outdoors; I love animals.

I look forward to your reply!
If you're focused on DeLand, I'd focus on the "Garden District" area which are rehabed historic homes/properties in a downtown neighborhood adjacent to the Main St activities of Woodland Blvd (US92) and NY Ave (SR44), which are the town's "crossroads" that mark the urban center. From this neighborhood, you will become part of a new community of progressive transplants and be walking/biking distance to all downtown DeLand has to offer, including a Save-A-Lot grocery store.

Here is a sample rental in that area:
Apartments for Rent in Deland, FL - Alabama Apartments

Here is the History:
Michael E. Arth

Here is the original RE broker, Maggi Hall, for the Garden District that also lists rentals:
West Volusia Properties - Real Estate Sales located in DeLand Florida
West Volusia Properties - Real Estate Sales located in DeLand Florida

If you still need to be near the ocean, I'd look at Downtown and Main St areas of Daytona Beach, where many Conchs are relocating to as these areas as they have a KW feel and full of progressive/artsy folk as well.

Last edited by daytonadewd; 10-09-2009 at 11:03 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 05:47 PM

Thankyou for your recommendations!

Old 10-10-2009, 05:59 PM

Thankyou very much for the information. I would love the "Pioneer Days", and like the fact that DeLand has an historic downtown. The proximity to the Forest and the Beach make it a viable consideration. All that you mentioned is good to know.

Would you have any information about St. Augustine? It doesn't look to be too much further northeast on the map. I am aware that it is an old town with much Spanish influence, a charming little place, but would rent be more expensive, etc.? What else does the area have to offer? I assume they have their share of tourists. But I wonder what it might be like to live there, at least for the next 6 months. What County is this located in ? Thanks again for information about DeLand.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:10 PM

499 posts, read 1,595,501 times
Default St Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy10 View Post
Would you have any information about St. Augustine? It doesn't look to be too much further northeast on the map. I am aware that it is an old town with much Spanish influence, a charming little place, but would rent be more expensive, etc.? What else does the area have to offer? I assume they have their share of tourists. But I wonder what it might be like to live there, at least for the next 6 months. What County is this located in ? Thanks again for information about DeLand.
St. Augustine is much more lively (and worldly) than the other areas you've focused on. It is also going to be more expensive too. St. Augustine is in St. Johns County and you would post your questions under the Jacksonville thread on C-D, as they are considered linked markets. It's a great choice for a transient stay, as the other places you mentioned would take a while for the locals to warm up to you -- and then you'd be leaving. Whereas St Augustine always has a flow of snowbirds and tourists, so they're used to "outsiders."

You also may wish to check out Amelia Island, which is just NE of Jacksonville, before the Georgia border.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:41 PM

574 posts, read 1,840,736 times
Based on what you want, Deland does seem like a good location for you. There are a lot of older neighborhoods and it has many rural areas, but the town is large enough that in most places you would not feel isolated. Housing is less expensive there than it is on the east side of the county. We live on the east side, but my DH works in Deland loves the town.

Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida