U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:47 AM

5,007 posts, read 7,870,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Does this jerky neighbor own his house? It would be great to drop a dime on him with his insurance company issuing his homeowners insurance policy... seeing as how a lot of large breed dogs are on their ban list.
Exactly.

I think you should go down to the local police station and talk to someone there and find out what you can and cannot do, legally. So that you're headed in the right direction, not adding to the problem.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:51 AM

9,048 posts, read 14,325,586 times
I'd definitely talk to the police and animal services.

I'd also find out what the laws are in his state about recording conversations. Some states require that both parties consent to a telephone conversation, but public settings may be different. I'm no attorney, but if your friend is standing on the sidewalk and the bigot is in his yard and the conversation could be heard by a passer-by or from a neighbor's window, it could be said that there is no expectation of privacy. I'd definitely double check with an attorney, but documentation would be wise at this point.

I'd also recommend installing a hidden camera in view of the front yard, just in case the animals decide to follow him onto his property.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:52 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,560,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I live on a cul-de-sac, and a black family, mom and one adult child, moved in about a year ago. Unfortunately, they moved next door to a bigoted bully. This man, who lives alone(his wife, a bigger bully, just passed away), owns two very large Rottwieller(sp?) dogs, which he is using to scare and intimidate his neighboors, especially the black guy, Tony. Everytime Tony walks down the street, Joe(the bully) makes sure he is outside w/ the dogs off the leash. He tells the dogs "watch him, keep your eyes on him", ect. The dogs are vicious and growl, bark, and show teeth as their owner encourages this aggressive behavior. Tony tried to polietly address the situation by asking if Joe could keep the dogs on a leash or at least wait till Tony has the opportunity to walk into his house or walk past Joe's house. Joe told him no, and furthermore, if Tony sees Joe's garage door open, he is to wait until Joe is done outside w/ the dogs. Last night, as Tony was trying to get to his house, Joe and dogs came rushing out, and Tony barely made it inside before the dogs rushed him. These dogs weigh over 150 lbs a piece. Tony is obviously very upset and terrified for his personal safety. BUT, Tony does not want to confront Joe, he just wants to keep the peace. He says racism is everywhere and nothing unusual. I think he should call the police AND tell Joe to end this horrible behavior. I am totally disgusted and feel Joe will continue to abuse, threaten, and bully ppl because no one opposes him, hence he gets away with it. What do you all think? What can I do to help Tony, who reached out to me for advice? I am so angry right now! Btw, sorry for the long paragraph, my PDA takes out the paragraph spaces. Thanks in advance, ....lil red........
Actually, if I were Tony, I'd let the dogs bite me then sue Joe for all he's worth - get his home taken away from him and everything

Old 10-10-2009, 11:52 AM

12,941 posts, read 19,343,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
and...my brother is supposed to be getting somewhere in the millions after this case is done according to his attorney. The bastard neighbor who owned the dogs whom were put to sleep moved out before the cops could arrest him, but I know they got him anyway.
I hope for your brother's sake that the perp owns a fleet of Ferrari's and a 40-bedroom mansion - otherwise, I can't imagine where the money is coming from.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:54 AM

8,415 posts, read 35,326,901 times
Screw the racist dude...Just give the dog biscuts. They will love him! Every dog I ever had has growled at really dark black people they don't know. I am not racist and I don't teach them that. They were fine after they sniffed them.
Tell him to carry a pepper spray if he made the dogs attack him.

I would call the humane society to tell them how the dogs are being used so they can be taken away from an owner that does not care for them like he should. That dog will get put to sleep over being loyal to who feeds it. Thats not right either.

Think about that gay couple that was attacked by those mastifs. Those poor dogs were just doing what they were told and that poor woman died because of it.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:55 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,775,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I hope for your brother's sake that the perp owns a fleet of Ferrari's and a 40-bedroom mansion - otherwise, I can't imagine where the money is coming from.
True, 95% of the time the victim never sees a dime of the awarded money. Or the person declares bankruptsy, I don't know with the new bankruptsy laws though if that is included or not.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:58 AM

19,020 posts, read 25,568,966 times
The last time someone made a German shepherd attack me, I befriended the dog (I just grabbed the dog tight and started passing my hand over and over, on his skin (fur??hair??), which pacified him)

Can rotts be made friendly

Old 10-10-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
The last time someone made a German shepherd attack me, I befriended the dog (I just grabbed the dog tight and started passing my hand over and over, on his skin (fur??hair??), which pacified him)

Can rotts be made friendly
I'd think once their training kicks in it would be hard to deter them.

Might ask The Dog Whisperer...

Old 10-10-2009, 12:03 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,568,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I'd think once their training kicks in it would be hard to deter them.

Might ask The Dog Whisperer...
I think I'll take a shot at the rotts in the OP

For argument's sake, I have actually run my hand over Bengal tigers and have even whispered in their ears. My neighbour used to have one, but he never made him attack anyone, the tiger was well-behaved except when he roars madly at times.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I think I'll take a shot at the rotts in the OP

For argument's sake, I have actually run my hand over Bengal tigers and have even whispered in their ears. My neighbour used to have one, but he never made him attack anyone, the tiger was well-behaved except when he roars madly at times.
I'd feel more secure with pepper spray or a Mossberg pump. I'm good with critters but in a situation like that I'd want to deliver a message to my nice neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida